Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

I am going insane...

Old 04-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I am going insane....

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Interior lights do not trigger the bulb out indicator.

When I put the car in reverse the BULB OUT light comes on, trouble is both of the reverse lights are on.
When I am driving the dash light is hidden by my hand. So I only see it when my hand is out of the way, like when I have selected reverse.

This is what is happening to me. No warning till I put it into reverse, then it comes on. And yes, I checked the back up lights. You guys were also right that I did not list the "parking lights" but they are also on. I changed them about a year ago.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: I am going insane....

Originally Posted by kjwinston
This is what is happening to me. No warning till I put it into reverse, then it comes on. And yes, I checked the back up lights. You guys were also right that I did not list the "parking lights" but they are also on. I changed them about a year ago.
Update
The light stays on all the time now.
Took out the bulbs, looked at them under a magnifying glass, looked perfect, put them back in.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I am going insane...

There are bulbs/LED lights out there that arent compatible with our system. When i say not compatible i mean that even though they work, they trigger the "lights out" indicator on the dash. I have come to learn that we have a Canbus system. Although that may only pertain to the headlamps. However, i put LED lights in place of my license plate bulbs and even tho they work perfectly fine, they trigger the "lights out" light on dash. I will also add that no matter what make, model or style light bulbs i use, i have NEVER owned a car that damn near has some light out on it every month. The one and only part that was handled by Chrysler and they couldnt even get that right

The following users liked this post:
MAYAman (12-19-2022)
Old 04-28-2015, 07:05 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rmcdaniel12
i have NEVER owned a car that damn near has some light out on it every month. The one and only part that was handled by Chrysler and they couldnt even get that right
In three years I have only replaced one bulb. I would be suspect of the brand type and style of bulb if they keep failing rather than the car.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by rmcdaniel12
There are bulbs/LED lights out there that arent compatible with our system. When i say not compatible i mean that even though they work, they trigger the "lights out" indicator on the dash. I have come to learn that we have a Canbus system. Although that may only pertain to the headlamps. However, i put LED lights in place of my license plate bulbs and even tho they work perfectly fine, they trigger the "lights out" light on dash. I will also add that no matter what make, model or style light bulbs i use, i have NEVER owned a car that damn near has some light out on it every month. The one and only part that was handled by Chrysler and they couldnt even get that right
You are unlucky or you are doing something wrong or have something wrong, if the electrical system has too higher voltage in it due to a bad alternator/regulator the bulbs will suffer premature failure.

I have had a Crossfire now for nine and a half years, it has day time running lights which in the case of a Crossfire means ALL the exterior lights are on. In that time I have replaced two headlight bulbs and they went within two weeks of one another. Total mileage driven is only about 35,000 but the lights were on all the time.

I have all my interior lights converted to LEDs and I have added two more interior lights and the light out indicator did not come on. You must use the proper exterior Canbus bulbs or the light will appear.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-06-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

The type and size of the resister in each circuit on bulbs 'certified' CANBUS can be the problem. You need to systematically go from bulb to bulb swapping back to a 'filament' bulb until you find the one that is causing the error. This might take days. You have to leave it in long enough to be absolutely sure the bulb you swapped out is not the one you are having trouble with. Only through a systematic troubleshooting approach, can you find the bulb (or bulbs) that are causing this problem. I will also point out that since these bulbs are usually bought in sets, you may have to 'swap' out sets of bulbs until you find the 'set' causing this error. It takes a systematic approach, and time. If you are easily confused and forget where you left off or have done, write it all down as you go along. Remember, you have to take the time to insure the problem is isolated, or you'll be wasting your time hunting and hunting where the trouble is.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Forum Regular

Wow very interesting stuff guys and gals! I have made a change in when changing the two low beam headlights I did change to the same bulb number but the "Ultra" bulb for the "Whiter" look and farther beam. That might be it. I was thinking of 2 LED lights but maybe I will think on that again if the sensors can't read them.

Thanks all for ideas and comments!

Old 04-28-2015, 12:37 PM

I have found out what caused my bulb out indicator light to come on. The strange thing is that at first it did not come on. then it came on when the car was put into reverse and finally it came on as soon as the car was started.
The cause is the add a fuse I added to get power for my newly fitted dash cam. I added it to the reverse light fuse. The fact that it did not occur immediately threw me of track, dumb ssmuck is what I am.
It is all hard wired in place, wires hidden etc, now I have to find another hot spot when the ignition is turned on. It would be OK with a US light switch but I have the DTRL switch, I sold both of my US switches.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Under hood fuse box, 2 inside terminals are switched hot, the 2 outside are always hot.
How to get that inside the cabin is the problem.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Under hood fuse box, 2 inside terminals are switched hot, the 2 outside are always hot.
How to get that inside the cabin is the problem.
I know about them but I thought this was a easy route. I guess the sensor that detects problems is before the fuse panel.
I think with a little effort I could pass through the firewall where the main wiring harness goes through. I just wanted to go the easy way. Guess not.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I know about them but I thought this was a easy route. I guess the sensor that detects problems is before the fuse panel.
I think with a little effort I could pass through the firewall where the main wiring harness goes through. I just wanted to go the easy way. Guess not.
Figured you did, but I enjoy preaching to the choir.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Double check those little bulbs in the upper corner of each headlight . . . "eyelid bulbs". If not that, have you recently changed out any bulbs to LEDs??

Old 04-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have a tutorial for replacing the front left high beam?

Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey kjwinston, Are you going to share the results / outcome of your issue with the "lights out" dash indicator?

Old 05-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Forum Regular

Nothing to do with Bulbs...found out later that my light Module was faulty. Read the next post to se out come with part numbers.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Forum Regular

Hope you are all set.

Last edited by autumnmass; 07-02-2015 at 10:12 AM.