Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Light Concern #2

Old 05-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Concern #2

OK, I noticed that my "Brake Lights" are always on, when running the Crossfire with lights on. When I don't have my lights on they are off and run correctly. What would cause this, Brakes are in great shape.

Even the Roadster trunk light is always on. I usually run the Crossfire with lights on for safety, but I don't want one of the idiots in the car world not to stop in time. Suggestion would be helpful to fix the problem. Yes I know don't drive without the lights on is a solution, but I would like to drive with them on. A short somewhere?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Light Concern #2

wow can't believe it...stumped you guys? Off to the dealership to find out what is wrong then I will answer for you guys. But thanks for reading!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by kjwinston
wow can't believe it...stumped you guys? Off to the dealership to find out what is wrong then I will answer for you guys. But thanks for reading!
Sorry, not stumped at all but there never was a description of when it started, if any recent mods had been done, new bulbs etc. Without some background it would all be guesswork.
Wrong bulbs have caused problems before.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:45 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

AND . . . you never bothered to post and tell us the outcome of your other recent cry for help . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post834023

Posting the resolution to your problem allows the forum (members) to assist others posting a similar problem in the future.

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-21-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:13 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Although this post is not specifically aimed at this OP, it pisses me off members don't follow through and AT LEAST have the courtesy to follow up and post if the problem is fixed. I might have been guilty myself, those better at searching may find one or two. I say now if you do find one, I'll step up and follow up. I sometimes suspect dealers register and ask troubleshooting questions to repair problems they have before selling the XF's they take in on trade. Users, in every level of society. Oh well... Rant over!

Old 05-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Forum Regular

OK here is the answer. When driving down the road, without my lights all on, the Brake light was working fine. But if I turned on the lights (no matter what light was on) the Brakes lights in the back were constantly on. It was like I had my foot on the brakes all the time.

Had to replace the Part # 5098638AA which is a Module for the Lights. $496 worth. According to the Mechanic the mother board inside to a dive. Had to replace the entire module.

3 hours to replace it. Running fine now...so much for the tax return. And yes this was a MOPAR part, not a MB part. (49000 miles)

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the update.. something new to the cars now.. Hopefully it doesn't become RCM common!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by kjwinston
OK here is the answer. When driving down the road, without my lights all on, the Brake light was working fine. But if I turned on the lights (no matter what light was on) the Brakes lights in the back were constantly on. It was like I had my foot on the brakes all the time.

Had to replace the Part # 5098638AA which is a Module for the Lights. $496 worth. According to the Mechanic the mother board inside to a dive. Had to replace the entire module.

3 hours to replace it. Running fine now...so much for the tax return. And yes this was a MOPAR part, not a MB part. (49000 miles)

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it.
Good job you got the problem solved, but I think you were badly abused by the dealer or whoever.

That is not a Mopar part, the part number molded on it is (US version) #193 545 00 04 (click for picture). The 193 number means it was designed and made specifically for the Crossfire but it is a Mercedes part, the Mopar part number is not molded into it at all, there may be a paper label with that number on it but that is all.

This part is the light switch and fuses associated with it are on the side of it, in the manual it is called the Illumination Control Module.

The actual part was purchased from Mercedes and a generous mark up applied to it for the Chrysler profit margin. During that time a Mopar label was stuck over the Mercedes label, that label cost you a fair bit of money.

I and many here could replace that module in under an hour, maybe thirty minutes if we did not stop for a coffee. I have sold two of those parts on this forum for less than $100. They are regularly on eBay from $100 and up.

It's a pity that you did not come back to the forum for some guidance before parting with the money.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-21-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for sharing the outcome of your light issues . . .