Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 07-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Originally Posted by Bill F
Read post #217. Tell them to put a Bosch CPS in it, after all it is MB engine not Chrysler/MOPAR.
If you purchased the Mercedes/Chrysler part you would get a Bosch part, just twice/three times the price at least.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cartoonguy2002
SLK manuals, see if this link works.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gw3cyp3rdpztdue/c2GqOGQn8C
Would have been nice to have, but it no longer works.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

Gladh
Blaze Red 2005
16,250 Miles but who's counting

Old 08-08-2014, 11:42 PM

Mine just stalled me out in the middle of a crazy busy intersection during 5:00 traffic. Ran down to my local O'Reilly auto parts store, they had it in stock for $55.00 Kudos to all the wonderful people on here posting the instructions on how to replace it. Thank you thank you thank you.

If your car starts doing the starting/not catching routine randomly, just go buy this part. It WILL give out on you, when you least expect it, and then you're DONE. It may start after the car cools down a couple of times at first, but when it really goes out, it goes out. Car running down the street, whatever. It's like honey badger, it doesn't give a **** what you're doing. When it's done, it's done.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 AM

I just want to post another thank you to everyone. My car started stalling today in traffic and was difficult to start. I hooked up my phone and read the code - secondary air injection system error, and crankshaft position sensor A circuit error. Luckily I had a crankshaft position sensor I ordered last year because someone on here had recommended to have a backup one handy. My car was out of commission for less than an hour! Awesome. Hopefully the air injection system error is nothing.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:38 PM

Wow, lots of posts on this subject.

I have a 2005 Coupe. Have replaced the RCM last year.

A few days ago I started the car, drove it across the street, turned it off...when I went to start it to leave it turned over but refused to 'catch'. Then after letting it sit for a few minutes, it decided to turn over just fine. Now the check engine light is on. The German repair shop guy over the phone said it's probably the crankshaft sensor but he would need to see it to know for sure. He also said the car could start several more times then quit. Is this classic symptoms of a sensor gone bad? It was hot to the touch. Being a woman I have not worked under the hood much...but are sensors easy to fix?

Thanks for any help, guys...I will probably have it in the shop this coming week.
I love the little car, it's a real head turner!

Old 09-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels
I have a 2005 Coupe. Have replaced the RCM last year.
Is this classic symptoms of a sensor gone bad? It was hot to the touch. Being a woman I have not worked under the hood much...but are sensors easy to fix?
I love the little car, it's a real head turner!
Hey Hottie, was the RCM you replaced a brand new one? If it was then you'll have the same problem with the solder points as with the previous one. And yes the sensor is a fairly easy fix, but better off letting the shop do it. If they are familiar with it then it's just a 30 min fix.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
Hey Hottie, was the RCM you replaced a brand new one? If it was then you'll have the same problem with the solder points as with the previous one. And yes the sensor is a fairly easy fix, but better off letting the shop do it. If they are familiar with it then it's just a 30 min fix.
Hi Syfi,

No, the RCM wasn't new. Thanks to you guys on this forum, I was able to read about it and print out photos of how to solder the loose wires on that unit. I took all of that into the shop where I have work done on my Crossie and said 'this is the problem'. He agreed, soldered the wires and it has worked fine. I was hoping that I could fix this current crankshaft sensor issue but you're right, I should let the experts do it....thanks for letting me know how long it takes! Once the sensor is fixed, does the problem happen again? He said it's an issue with this 6 cylinder engine. Thanks so much for your input!!

Dianne aka hotwheels aka 'hottie' lol

Old 09-29-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by hotwheels
Hi Syfi,

No, the RCM wasn't new. Thanks to you guys on this forum, I was able to read about it and print out photos of how to solder the loose wires on that unit. I took all of that into the shop where I have work done on my Crossie and said 'this is the problem'. He agreed, soldered the wires and it has worked fine. I was hoping that I could fix this current crankshaft sensor issue but you're right, I should let the experts do it....thanks for letting me know how long it takes! Once the sensor is fixed, does the problem happen again? He said it's an issue with this 6 cylinder engine. Thanks so much for your input!!

Dianne aka hotwheels aka 'hottie' lol
I had mine do exactly the same thing around 30,000 mi. Just died @ a stop light but started right back up. Turned around and headed back home but she died while driving down the highway. Coasted off into a restaurant parking lot and she wouldn't restart. Went in and had lunch and when I returned, she started. Got her home where she died pulling in to the driveway! After replacing the sensor, she's been smooth as buda for another 40,000 mi (knocks-on-wood). Yes, it's a very common issue on our Xfires and other M/Bs. It eventually happens to pretty much everyone. Same thing with the RCM. Did the re-solder just for safety's sake around the same time the sensor bellied-up and no problems for 40,000 miles. I own a Limited and SRT6 so I've dealt with double the trouble, but both have been very easy to maintain, very reliable and extremely enjoyable to drive. Best cars I've ever owned and I've owned ALOT of cars.

Mikey aka syfi aka "Sy"

Last edited by syfi; 09-29-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 10-02-2014, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Ya Max, that's the correct one! Great price too!
I purchased the same a year ago. Funny that they say it doesn't fit the Crossfire!

Last edited by syfi; 10-02-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased the same a year ago. Funny that they say it doesn't fit the Crossfire!
Thanks...whew. Took the neighbor for a spin last evening (he had never been in a convertible before) and caned it a bit. 1 hour later-MIL. Cleared the code, but one never knows...

As for the Bosch not being linked-I've not found any vendors that do. Just the usual smattering of aftermarket parts.

Last edited by maxcichon; 10-02-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought one through Amazon also. The CPS stock number is for a MB which of course
fits the Crossfire. I assume that's why it says it doesn't fit the Crossfire as it is not a Chrysler part.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Finally got around to replacing cps yesterday . Clip squeezes to release & comes right off. Checked codes & po235 showed up . Had to grip old one with pliers & wiggle it to get out. New one went right in with dab of dielectric grease on terminals car runs perfect again. Now for strange part , have seen some members discuss pins being to loose & not making good contact. Imagine my surprise while inspecting old cps pins to find them completely bent over ,they had never been in the plugs connectors . Don't know who or when this was done , but we took it to Wa. & back last summer ,5000 miles & worked fine for complete trip to within 100mi.of home. So my experience says check connector carefully when putting it back on . I've only owned it for a year so am still learning , but is a lot of fun.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My roadster has 41,300 miles and runs like a top (knock on wood). I bought a new Bosch unit last summer that I carry in the glove box. Should I go ahead and swap the new one for the old or leave it as is. My dad always said if it ain't broke ,don't fix it but, I would hate to get stranded some where. Curious what the group would do in this situation.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

I carried mine for 3 1/2 years. The car stalled once, and restarted on the third try.
I went home, changed it, and all has been well ever since.

If you have a spare, you aren't going to be stranded as much as delayed. You could change it and carry the old one as a spare if you are shaky about changing it in a parking lot or by the road side someday. But usually, they get intermittent, not often does anyone say theirs failed completely the first time it acted up.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I carried mine for 3 1/2 years. The car stalled once, and restarted on the third try.
I went home, changed it, and all has been well ever since.

If you have a spare, you aren't going to be stranded as much as delayed. You could change it and carry the old one as a spare if you are shaky about changing it in a parking lot or by the road side someday. But usually, they get intermittent, not often does anyone say theirs failed completely the first time it acted up.
And don't forget that along with the sensor, you will need a 1/4" ratchet, long extension, E10 Torx socket and a flashlight. If you drop the little bolt, you will also require Divine Intervention.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely, ready and waiting under the passenger seat.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
And don't forget that along with the sensor, you will need a 1/4" ratchet, long extension, E10 Torx socket and a flashlight. If you drop the little bolt, you will also require Divine Intervention.
Agreed. But you can get that stuff anywhere - a Bosch CPS is not always that easy to find.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

But you can get that stuff anywhere
You are alone on a Tuesday night on a north Georgia country road, the CPS conks and you have a shiny new Bosch sensor but no tools.
Even AAA don't carry a E10 Torx socket, and that chicken farmer that stops to help ain't gonna have one either. Autozone, Advance and O'Reilly are long ago closed up.
AAA says "Sure we can tow ya, but only by a front lift, you'll have to wait until tomorrow for a flat-bed, meanwhile you can leave it here on the side of the road as a big fat target for empty Miller Light bottles while I drop you off at a motel".

So, who you gonna call ?
Me ?

Last edited by ala_xfire; 12-23-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You are alone on a Tuesday night on a north Georgia country road, the CPS conks and you have a shiny new Bosch sensor but no tools.
Even AAA don't carry a E10 Torx socket, and that chicken farmer that stops to help ain't gonna have one either. Autozone, Advance and O'Reilly are long ago closed up. So, who you gonna call ?
Me ?

AAA towing and the cops... and hope they get there before the Banjo music starts!

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor