Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Gutted Intake Elbow!!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Gutted Intake Elbow!!

Originally Posted by TruTaing
I didnt mean to seen negative in any way. Just curious to hear how one who is well versed with this subject would approach it
OK, sorry for the jerk-knee-jerk reaction. It just sounded like...well an arm chair response.

I can't honestly say I have ever seen this application before (automotive). But they are commonplace in large flow/volume vacuum systems. No, not Electrolux. Kinney and Roots systems places them in all elbows to increase efficiency and reduce drag for pumpdown times on large semi-conductor process chambers.
I recognize the need for taking any restrictions out of the way, but it looks to me as though the inside diameter of that elbow is ~ 3.5". Area~9.6 in sq. The cross section of the pieces removed (at a guess)
looks to be .064" thickness by 3.4" (times 2). .4352 in sq. about 5% of the total area. A restriction to be sure.
But does it overcome the gains that the baffles provide by steering the air in a more even pattern?

I don't know. I would like to see all of these surfaces polished. It did wonders for the aircraft industry.

Looking back, it seems like a few other members recognize them for what they are and what they do.

It looks like my trying to help is causing more problems than solving.
I suppose can just read...

Last edited by maxcichon; 09-29-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we just need a new inake manifold where the throttle body is on the front side then we could all have some super intakes

Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by manisusmc
we just need a new inake manifold where the throttle body is on the front side then we could all have some super intakes
And runners under 2 ft.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Anthony, I'm with Voyager being apologetic for any ruckus caused by my inquiry as to "what exactly you guys were doing with the OEM intake" ! TVT makes a great contribution to this forum and to Crossfire owners in general. Keep up the good work !
With that said, there are experts from many walks of life who frequent this forum, many of whom such as yourself spend personal time and effort in research and development. What better place than to have such a discussion ? As you said we are all adults here and so far the discussion has remained reasonably civil. But I agree with Timelord, would it be possible to show before and after dynomomic results concerning the removal of the fins in question. I think we are all striving for the same golden fleece here !

Old 09-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and TVT i totally agree with you about the performance things. i see companies do that all the time for the next year model the engine is the same but it has a better performance exhaust and a better intake or something like that.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 PM
svo
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no doubt this mod will make more power on top end, but can affect low end performance and maybe even way down low at idle. It is a fairly inexpensive mod that you can easily buy a second one to switch back and forth from - I think most of us will never see the track but for those who do, I'm sure any change in driveability will be worth it especially if you are a track regular

Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by svo
I have no doubt this mod will make more power on top end, but can affect low end performance and maybe even way down low at idle. It is a fairly inexpensive mod that you can easily buy a second one to switch back and forth from - I think most of us will never see the track but for those who do, I'm sure any change in driveability will be worth it especially if you are a track regular
No change in idle or drivability. I've had it on my car for about 5K and nothing at all wrong with it. I drove it daily as well as at the track during that time. Now it is only a track car.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Forum Regular

I wonder if mercedes has a larger elbow but retains the internal vanes, any chance the M113 intake elbow is larger than the M112?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
I wonder if mercedes has a larger elbow but retains the internal vanes, any chance the M113 intake elbow is larger than the M112?
same one as

Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
same one as the

Old 08-25-2016, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious as to any current thoughts on removing the dividers in the elbow in a NA? I just ordered everything for the 74mm upgrade with MB air cleaner/engine cover.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpaczan
Curious as to any current thoughts on removing the dividers in the elbow in a NA? I just ordered everything for the 74mm upgrade with MB air cleaner/engine cover.
I took the time and effort to do this on my coupe.. Didn't do it on the wife's roadster.. I'm "sure" there is a difference.. (less restriction is always better) .. but there was no performance difference that made me think "take hers apart and do it"...

Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I took the time and effort to do this on my coupe.. Didn't do it on the wife's roadster.. I'm "sure" there is a difference.. (less restriction is always better) .. but there was no performance difference that made me think "take hers apart and do it"...
I am sure that if there is any difference then it would be at the upper limits of the cars performance.
They were probably put there to get a smooth flow of air round the bend and cut down turbulence, if so their removal may in fact affect performance negatively.
They were put there for a reason obviously.
I think mods to the NA affect the performance minimally, I did them. When I could I got an SRT, it has more than enough performance for me as it is. You get to notice the extra nominal 112 hp, adding 20 to 30 hp to the NA is hardly noticeable.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-26-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Oh how we forget so easily. I remember a new member back in 2009, when he suggested opening up the intake, and was repeatedly flamed. I also remember when a member chimed in and discovered a few HP and TQ numbers associated ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-2-m112-2.html , post 30 ) in the MAF descreening and elbow 'baffle' removal, that was offered as a question by that new member. Yes, that new member was me. Yes, a confirmed performance improvement did validate freeing up the N/A intake restrictions resulted in a slight measurable improvement. Every little bit helps, right?

Going to look for that post, hope I can find it (to reference here). Found AND updated.

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 08-27-2016 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Found referenced links!
Old 08-27-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Oh how we forget so easily. I remember a new member back in 2009, when he suggested opening up the intake, and was repeatedly flamed. I also remember when a member chimed in and discovered a few HP and TQ numbers associated ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-2-m112-2.html , post 30 ) in the MAF descreening and elbow 'baffle' removal, that was offered as a question by that new member. Yes, that new member was me. Yes, a confirmed performance improvement did validate freeing up the N/A intake restrictions resulted in a slight measurable improvement. Every little bit helps, right?

Going to look for that post, hope I can find it (to reference here). Found AND updated.

I remember that but the increase will only be found at the top end of the performance and how often do we get there.
I would never take out the screen though as it is there and might stop a nut disappearing into the engine.
If it can happen then it will happen to someone sometime.

Same reason I would not use one of these new SC pulleys as they all will break sometime, as even the OEM ones will someday.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Is sometime sooner than someday?

Old 08-27-2016, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
Is sometime sooner than someday?
Sometimes ........

Old 08-30-2016, 02:30 PM