Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Electric radiator fan stays on

Old 12-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric radiator fan stays on

Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 conv. I recently had an issue with a battery drain. I was constantly jumping it every morning before work. With process of elimination, I found it to be a the new radio I had put in the week before. For the moment I pulled the new radio out and put in the original radio. The battery drain stopped. The problem I'm having for some reason, is the radiator fan turns on and will not shut off unless I turn the ignition off. Also my A/C has no power, the clutch does not engage. I checked all of the fuses and all are good. Has anyone had a similar situation. Thanks Kevin. New Member

Old 12-27-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Electric radiator fan stays on

Hi

It sounds like you've done something while installing the radio. Did you remove the climate control unit when fitting it? My suggestion would be to check the plug on the back of your climate contol unit. If it's not plugged in properly the fan will run and the AC won't work.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by kcoolwillis
Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 conv. I recently had an issue with a battery drain. I was constantly jumping it every morning before work. With process of elimination, I found it to be a the new radio I had put in the week before. For the moment I pulled the new radio out and put in the original radio. The battery drain stopped. The problem I'm having for some reason, is the radiator fan turns on and will not shut off unless I turn the ignition off. Also my A/C has no power, the clutch does not engage. I checked all of the fuses and all are good. Has anyone had a similar situation. Thanks Kevin. New Member
After you start the car, do you have a little yellow light on in the left side of the instrument panel that looks like a little radiator?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ill try looking at the climate control unit. As far as the instrument panel, I don't have any light coming on at the dash. It instrument panel is still working as far as I know the seat belt light still comes on and at start up all lights show for the few seconds while turning on the car. thanks for the help guys.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Well, if the light comes on, it means that the ECM can't talk to the FCM.
What I mean is:
  • IF the FCM has lost contact with the ECM (that would mean the ECM has also lost contact with the FCM) and the ECM will light the light.
  • If the FCM has lost contract with the ECM the FCM will run the fan at full speed (emergency mode).

Since you have no light, either the FCM has nutted up in such a way that it is talking to the ECM but not running the fan properly or the FCM is fine and the ECM is telling the fan to run for some reason.

So, is the fan running FULL SPEED? That is, can you hear it running from 100 feet away from the car? (It is NOISY when running full tilt). If so, I'd say the FCM is flaky. If it is running at some moderate speed, then the ECM is probably telling it to, but why I don't know.

Keep in mind the fan runs at about 10-15% speed if the A/C is on in the car, to provide condenser airflow when the car is not moving. This is absolutely normal.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 12-30-2016 at 12:14 AM.