TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 06-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by White ranger 1951
I have read this thread twice and checked RCM soldered joints .still engine will not turn over,battery OK, starter works if pulse module(when pink wire is run to earth) all fuses checked,still no crank? Any advice/thoughts thanks in hope of any replys
You say you checked the solder joints - but did you check them under magnification? You'll probably never see the cracks with the naked eye. Also, even if you don't see the cold solder joints, you should go ahead and re-flow them just to be safe.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I once had an RCM that the solder joints were OK, but the engine control relay contacts were burnt.
Same symptoms as bad solder joints, tighed1 fixed it for me with a replacement relay.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you turn the key to the run position (not start position), can your hear the electric fuel pump turn on to prime the fuel system? If you can't, I would revisit the RCM. I had this problem. When I looked at it, I could not see the crack solder joints. But when I took another look under a lighted magnifying glass, sure enough the cracks were there. I resoldered the the joints and have been driving the car for about a month without issues. Cheers. -Norm

Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dnorm
When you turn the key to the run position (not start position), can your hear the electric fuel pump turn on to prime the fuel system? If you can't, I would revisit the RCM. I had this problem. When I looked at it, I could not see the crack solder joints. But when I took another look under a lighted magnifying glass, sure enough the cracks were there. I resoldered the the joints and have been driving the car for about a month without issues. Cheers. -Norm
Fuel pump running or not the car should still turn over with the starter motor operating properly.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Mine did not, the engine would not turn over. When I tried to start the car, all the dash lights came on but one could not hear the fuel pump prime. I'm guessing the PCM did not see battery voltage to/from the fuel pump and thus did not send a signal to the starter/starter relay. Again, just a guess on my part. But for certain, my 2004 Crossfire did not turn over until I repaired the RCM. -Norm

Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by White ranger 1951
I have read this thread twice and checked RCM soldered joints .still engine will not turn over,battery OK, starter works if pulse module(when pink wire is run to earth) all fuses checked,still no crank? Any advice/thoughts thanks in hope of any replys
If you bypass the pulse module and the car cranks OK I would look at the pulse module as being the culprit or the pulse module is not getting a signal from the ignition switch. Faulty ignition switch? Have you done the sticky ignition switch repair lately? If so maybe you messed something up.
I have not studied this circuit but it makes sense to me.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:03 PM

Solder on RCM resolderd & checked under magnifier,ignition switch checked & is good, PCM cranks engine when pink wire is earthed is this normal? ,if CPS faulty will engine crank ? Thanks for replys

Old 07-01-2014, 07:23 AM

A faulty CPS can cause a no-crank situation from what I recall when mine went south.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

CPS - starter will spin all day without engine firing off.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the wires come off RCM ? Don't want to budge ??

Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM

My car used to stall and sometimes would restart right away, and sometimes not. It even stalled when I was driving. Anyway, my friend who is a guru with cars re-soldered the fuel pump relay about two years ago and it has never stalled again. When he initially examined the soldering under a magnifying glass, it didn't look bad, but he resoldered it anyway. Before he fixed it, it would stall on a regular basis. Drove me insane and was dangerous.

Mine did not, the engine would not turn over. When I tried to start the car, all the dash lights came on but one could not hear the fuel pump prime. I'm guessing the PCM did not see battery voltage to/from the fuel pump and thus did not send a signal to the starter/starter relay. Again, just a guess on my part. But for certain, my 2004 Crossfire did not turn over until I repaired the RCM. -Norm

Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 AM

I had the same problem two years ago. The car would stall, sometimes even when I was driving. Friend of mine resoldered I think the fuel pump relay? and I have not had a problem since!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM

When we examined the soldering under a magnifier it didn't look bad, but we resoldered anyway and my car has not stalled since and it has been over 2 years.

Originally Posted by RL67037
You say you checked the solder joints - but did you check them under magnification? You'll probably never see the cracks with the naked eye. Also, even if you don't see the cold solder joints, you should go ahead and re-flow them just to be safe.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
How do the wires come off RCM ? Don't want to budge ??
They can be a pain to remove sometimes.
Grasp the connectors firmly (one at a time) and wiggle them back-n-forth until they come off. May have to enlist the aid of a broad flat tipped screwdriver to help get them loose.
Don't break it!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 PM

you have to press in on the connecter there is a tab you push in to remove it

Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Not mine they just pulled off just hard to get them moving didn't want tear any thing up !

Old 08-04-2014, 04:13 PM

I just want to give Tighe a shout out & big thank you for repairing my RCM board & getting it back to me so fast ! What a great guy & member we have here ! Thanks again !

Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 AM

My car has been down for 2 months now. Originally brought it over to my local mechanic, who has worked on my Xfire 5-6 X's. Always with great work. He could not figure out the Mystery No Start. I finally, after a month, logged on here and discovered member Tighed RCM repair.
Sent mine over to him and he got it back to me quickly (Thank you, sir) and my guy put it in. I stood there and watched the car crank up afterwards to my delight. We turned it off after a few minutes to test it again. It didn't start. Checked all the connections again with no luck. Finally after another few days I reluctantly towed it over to my Chrysler Dealer.
I called beforehand and asked for my regular service advisor for the last 10 years. Gone ! Damn 1 Got turned over to a supposed veteran and was not impressed. Seems like they might have cleaned house of the long term advisors and this fellow was left. If he could have been more disinterested I would be surprised :-(
After another 2 weeks of inaction, a call to him on my part every 3 days, Thursday he said I need a PCM. New part $2200.00 and ignition switch and keys total $3400.00 ! After having a cocktail, or 2, that night, I went to see him the next day.
Had to draw out of him that refurbished PCM's are available for $400.00. So my search today, in Houston, starts there. I'll write about my results

Old 08-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greedisgood
My car has been down for 2 months now. Originally brought it over to my local mechanic, who has worked on my Xfire 5-6 X's. Always with great work. He could not figure out the Mystery No Start. I finally, after a month, logged on here and discovered member Tighed RCM repair.
Sent mine over to him and he got it back to me quickly (Thank you, sir) and my guy put it in. I stood there and watched the car crank up afterwards to my delight. We turned it off after a few minutes to test it again. It didn't start. Checked all the connections again with no luck. Finally after another few days I reluctantly towed it over to my Chrysler Dealer.
I called beforehand and asked for my regular service advisor for the last 10 years. Gone ! Damn 1 Got turned over to a supposed veteran and was not impressed. Seems like they might have cleaned house of the long term advisors and this fellow was left. If he could have been more disinterested I would be surprised :-(
After another 2 weeks of inaction, a call to him on my part every 3 days, Thursday he said I need a PCM. New part $2200.00 and ignition switch and keys total $3400.00 ! After having a cocktail, or 2, that night, I went to see him the next day.
Had to draw out of him that refurbished PCM's are available for $400.00. So my search today, in Houston, starts there. I'll write about my results
Have you replaced the CPS?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:18 PM

Dear Bill F

Yes sir, it has been replaced

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)