TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

1st Gear "pop-out" recall questions

Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gear "pop-out" recall questions

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and the owner of a 2004 coupe. I am experiencing the first gear disengage problem that seems to plague the early XFs.

The car is obviously no longer under warranty, so I am wondering what my options are.

Would the syncro kit remedy this problem? What is the cost of this?

Is there anyone in the Bay Area who has experience fixing this problem?

I am looking for any advice as to this problem, considering that I will be paying for the fix out of pocket.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: 1st Gear "pop-out" recall questions

Under normal conditions or heavy acceleration? I've only had it happen to me once and that was when I really floored it during snow rally event off road.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 AM

Sorry to hear that. After some research I came up with what I feared…..

“It could be a list of things: synchronizers or shift fork are going out. Or it could be a fault inside the gearbox, or a tranny problem. I've even heard cars with low mileage have that problem. Did you check the Tranny fluid? It is a sealed transmission so checking the level is not as simple as checking a dipstick but can be done by pulling the fill plug off. If that isn't it, I'd definitely go have it checked out professionally”

I own a ‘04 limited 6spd. I noticed more effort is required to engage 2nd gear under cold conditions or after a period of time of the car sitting still. I’m concerned about oil degrading not so much about syncros going bad (doble clutch is part of my driving habits since new). I posted a thread under CrossfireForum.org> Technical> Technical & Modifications > Manual Transmission Fluid: No service is required??? To find out if someone has serviced the tranny with fresh oil and which one was used as well as some feedback. According to Chrysler service Manual no service is required…..

Best of lucks and welcome to the forum

Salu2

Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 AM

I normally start off in 2nd when just driving around town. My driveway is very steep so I have to go into first every time I get home. I have noticed if I stop completely and put it into first then it pops out of 1st but if I am still rolling very slowly then it doesnt happen. Same when I am driving if I know I need 1st then I put in in 1st before I come to a complete stop. I have 43K on my 04, doesnt happen much for me.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone have any more info on how much it would cost to buy the synchro kit and have it installed?

I've been taking off in 2nd most of the time to avoid first gear but thought I'd start off in 1st for a few days to see if it still popped out of gear. So far, it's popped out 1st gear 2 or 3 times today alone. I've never had this problem with any of the other manual trans cars I've owned/driven (lots), so that's why I'm concerned.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alzilla
Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone have any more info on how much it would cost to buy the synchro kit and have it installed?

I've been taking off in 2nd most of the time to avoid first gear but thought I'd start off in 1st for a few days to see if it still popped out of gear. So far, it's popped out 1st gear 2 or 3 times today alone. I've never had this problem with any of the other manual trans cars I've owned/driven (lots), so that's why I'm concerned.
I also have this issue with my '04.... would be interested in knowing a fix.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2005 kicked out of first gear twice in 4 years. Both times were a few months apart. Not sure if it was my driving or if it is the classic problem. I am curious to know how to fix it incase it starts happening on a regular basis.

By the way, getting into 2nd gear has always been difficult in cold weather.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
My 2005 kicked out of first gear twice in 4 years. Both times were a few months apart. Not sure if it was my driving or if it is the classic problem. I am curious to know how to fix it incase it starts happening on a regular basis.

By the way, getting into 2nd gear has always been difficult in cold weather.
there is a TSB on this:

TBS: 9-Mar-04 - 21-002-04 - Manual Trans - First Gear Disengages During Normal Acceleration

does anyone have a copy of this?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by stuper01
there is a TSB on this:

TBS: 9-Mar-04 - 21-002-04 - Manual Trans - First Gear Disengages During Normal Acceleration

does anyone have a copy of this?
Go to this page and the top item says TSB's, open it and you will see the TSB you want. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/111722-post1.html
While you are there download and store the other info that you require.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Service Tech. that did my 30k mile check-up on my 04 replaced the "ATF" (that comes in the manual tranny from the factory) with a straight weight synthetic motor oil.
I can't say for sure if it really felt any different or not. But it always did shift better after it warmed up.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Hey there,

I'm new to owning a XF and to the forum but I believe I have experienced this problem as well. I bought the car in FL and drove to NJ and it has only happened to me in traffic. It seems like 1st gear is clunking out of gear but I haven't been able to notice if it is personal error on my part maybe driving it like my old 300z and shifting oddly while I'm still accelerating or something, but I drove all day today paying a lot of attention to it and it never happened. My synchros are pretty strong as the gear never just slips out, but is this a common problem on XFs?

Old 05-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Hmm I don't have an answer or remedy for the problem, but if you are interested in an extended warranty (so you can claim this) please send me a PM I'll be glad to help you out.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 PM

This only to happens to my 04 when I'm lazy and don't fully push into 1st. Make sure you properly push it in place

Old 10-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by funnybunchofitalians
This only to happens to my 04 when I'm lazy and don't fully push into 1st. Make sure you properly push it in place
I got in the habit of once it is in 1st, pull back out and back in, have caught it a few times that way, there is a double click that can be felt going into 1st.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:55 PM

Hey all, all the threads on this topic are very old but I wanted to say thanks for the tip of putting it in 2nd gear and then into 1st gear, it goes into gear much easier. Some people would hate it but I kind of like all the quirks about this car.

I've been having the same issue where my gear pops out of first and makes a big noise. Finally looked it up on here and found out its a common problem for early cars. I checked mine, and what do you know, its #4704 made in July 2003. I have one of the earliest crossfires!

My question is, is the synchro repair worth it? Sounds expensive and I've seen several people comment that it still happened after they had it done. Mine does it very intermitently, which is good and bad. Just never know when its gonna do it....gonna try the 2nd->1st shifting trick for a while and see if that'll stop it. Need to look up the VIN history too, with it being so early it may have had the synchro repair done already by the first owner when it was under warranty.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by BLK04LMTD
Hmm I don't have an answer or remedy for the problem, but if you are interested in an extended warranty (so you can claim this) please send me a PM I'll be glad to help you out.
Extended warranty for the XF? Where can I buy one?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockymthi
Extended warranty for the XF? Where can I buy one?
1) That post is from 2010 and he has not been on here in almost four years.
2) Google "extended automotive warranty" - there are many companies who will sell you an "extended warranty".
3) Buying an extended warranty from the manufacturer almost always is a good idea, but those other oddball companies? Just READ THEIR CONTRACTS!!!'

Being a member here is, in my mind, worth way more than an "extended warranty".

Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by sstch2x
Hey all, all the threads on this topic are very old but I wanted to say thanks for the tip of putting it in 2nd gear and then into 1st gear, it goes into gear much easier. Some people would hate it but I kind of like all the quirks about this car.

I've been having the same issue where my gear pops out of first and makes a big noise. Finally looked it up on here and found out its a common problem for early cars. I checked mine, and what do you know, its #4704 made in July 2003. I have one of the earliest crossfires!

My question is, is the synchro repair worth it? Sounds expensive and I've seen several people comment that it still happened after they had it done. Mine does it very intermitently, which is good and bad. Just never know when its gonna do it....gonna try the 2nd->1st shifting trick for a while and see if that'll stop it. Need to look up the VIN history too, with it being so early it may have had the synchro repair done already by the first owner when it was under warranty.
I had the first gear pop out on my first car and l put it down to not putting the shifter all the way into position. I tried to be more positive with it and it seemed to work.
As long as you are not going uphill second gear starts are easy, it may wear the clutch out quicker but what the heck.