Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Runnin without sensors.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Runnin without sensors.

Has anybody installed new tires without using the tire pressure sensors? I'm thinking about installing some aftermarket rims and tires, but I wasn't planning on installing the tire pressure sensors.
Besides the warning light staying on, will it affect anything else, such as traction control etc?
Thanks.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:55 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Runnin without sensors.

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Has anybody installed new tires without using the tire pressure sensors? I'm thinking about installing some aftermarket rims and tires, but I wasn't planning on installing the tire pressure sensors.
Besides the warning light staying on, will it affect anything else, such as traction control etc?
Thanks.
I don't think so. I did this with my Armada. The only issue like you said, the warning icon will be on.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem with it. I have been running mine without the sensors, and haven't had any problems other than the light being on.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks.
A Chrysler or MB dealer can turn off the tire pressure monitor system. Unless you know someone that has the equipment to get into the BCM thru the diagnostic port, this is the only way to turn off the light. If they reluctant to do it, tell them that you run with snow tires on different rims in the winter or try a different dealer.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 AM

Thanks everybody. Knowing how (I understand) the sensors work, I thought the ETC may possible use the sensor "info" to determine when one tire is spinning more than another one and make the necessary adjustments.
But, I suppose if there is no sensors at all to read, then even if the ETC was involved, it wouldn't make any difference since no signal is being sent.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks everybody. Knowing how (I understand) the sensors work, I thought the ETC may possible use the sensor "info" to determine when one tire is spinning more than another one and make the necessary adjustments.
But, I suppose if there is no sensors at all to read, then even if the ETC was involved, it wouldn't make any difference since no signal is being sent.
+fireamx,

The traction control uses a different set of 4 sensors. Those are referred to as wheel speed sensors or ABS sensors.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MI1XFIRE
+fireamx,

The traction control uses a different set of 4 sensors. Those are referred to as wheel speed sensors or ABS sensors.
Thanks MI1XFIRE, I'm alot more confident now about using aftermarket wheels and tires.
Now if I can just come up with the money to buy em.