Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Chunk out of a brake shoe

Old 07-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chunk out of a brake shoe

I just replaced my stock pads with EBC Red Stuff ceramics and when I removed the stock shoes the left, front outboard pad was missing a chunk - see pic below. I assume an anomaly but thought I would pass it on...mine is a "new" 2005 SRT-6 with 800 miles on it.

Last edited by bflinn; 07-28-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Chunk out of a brake shoe

Looks like a rust, delamination problem. I will have to check mine too as it is a leftover '05.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Hi
I am always reading about the "Red Stuff" brake pads... Is there any increase breaking improvement over the standard fitted pads?

Ken

Old 07-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bflinn
I just replaced my stock pads with EBC Red Stuff ceramics and when I removed the stock shoes the left, front outboard pad was missing a chunk - see pic below. I assume an anomaly but thought I would pass it on...mine is a "new" 2005 SRT-6 with 800 miles on it.
If your car only has 800 miles on it and those pads are as rusted as that, I would take the car back to the seller and demand a complete inspection... That looks like the car sat in some serious deep water... Look at the attachment plates... I know that those are at least 1 ft. above ground level...

Old 07-28-2007, 03:28 PM

CAN YOU SPELL FLOOD DAMAGE FROM A DEALERSHIP IN LOUISIANA OR MISSISSIPPI DURING KATRINA ?? >

CARFAX that thing.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Forum Regular

I have carfaxed it and it came from a dealership in PA...i was under the whole car, its not a flood car. All cars braking systems rust, especially when not driven. This SRT was built in Sep 2004 so it is 2 months shy of 3 years old. Take any car for 3 years, don't drive it and see what the rotors and cheaply painted brake shoe hardware does...it will rust, as rust will find every possible nick and spread. Car is fine, brakes are fine etc. Maybe its a 1 in a 1000 bad shoe, maybe the car was washed in 2004 in place and never driven and water was in the shoe...maybe...Thanks for the concern.

BTW on the Red Stuff...seem great so far, very short test drive, I'll post an update "down the road".

Old 07-28-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by bflinn
BTW on the Red Stuff...seem great so far, very short test drive, I'll post an update "down the road".
Please keep us informed on the Red Stuff front. I have not been impressed with the Green Stuff, at least not with the stock discs. I found them little better than the stock setup on the track in terms of fade and pedal feel, and less reassuring on the road in day to day driving due to needing a few applications to get some heat into them to get the same initial bite. It could just be me though as I am not usually that aggressive with the brakes on the road.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Woody, Never got an answer to my last PM... Figured you were busy... Re-learn and your carsoft to see if the fuel / timing will re-adjust... ???

PS: just looking at the 1/1, 1/2, 2/1, 2/2 02 sensors and the wiring schematics from the manual... On the sensors there are 2-wht, 1-gry, 1-blk... This does not correlate with the connector diagram in the manual (not surprising) I'm looking to tap the signal back to the ECU on the sensor itself, instead of after the connector... I'm going to try a adjustable voltage clamp to see what it does...

Old 07-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP

Woody, Never got an answer to my last PM... Figured you were busy... Re-learn and your carsoft to see if the fuel / timing will re-adjust... ???

PS: just looking at the 1/1, 1/2, 2/1, 2/2 02 sensors and the wiring schematics from the manual... On the sensors there are 2-wht, 1-gry, 1-blk... This does not correlate with the connector diagram in the manual (not surprising) I'm looking to tap the signal back to the ECU on the sensor itself, instead of after the connector... I'm going to try a adjustable voltage clamp to see what it does...
Hi Derek, sorry for not replying, had to work this morning then spent the afternoon laying about under the car sorting stuff for the track next week. Just started to check the forum now. I'm going to spend some time on the wiring tomorrow re. esp/tc and ECU, so I'll check out the o2's too. I'll PM you a bit later with some info. Simon. */end threadjack

Old 07-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Got it sorted already... FYI the sensors downstream of the connector do not have the same wire color as those upstream of the connector...

Have fun with your project... I'm in a similar process this weekend since the wife is out of town...

Have you ever heard of dampening the knock sensors ?... That's in the works as well... The process requires adding a spacer / damper to the attachment points ...

Removed the AC pump and ran a new drive belt and it clears the other pulleys without a problem... So, I just got rid of 6.8 kilos of useless weight without having to install a dead pulley...

Cheers... Gotta get back to the garage...