Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Question!!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question!!

Well, I got my new PS2's put on, but now the tire pressure sensor is on!!! I have all of the tires at 32 psi when I left the place, it was fine. Then the next day they it went on. Any idea what I should do? Do you think I should deflate the tires and then inflate them again? I also noticed that they switched the tires from side to side. Could this be the problem?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Wink Re: Question!!

I had that problem and had taken it back to the dealer and they turned it off. I think when the weather goes from hot to cold, it triggers something in the air pressure. That's all I know at this time.

Sally

Old 10-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Question!!

A significant drop in temp will set them off, since they are "trained" switching them might cause issues also. You can also have them filled with nitrogen which is less subjective to temp changes. I believe the tire pressure should be 32 psi front and 33 psi rear. The sensors go off when there is a 25% psi loss, could be set off by one tire or a combination of tires.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Re: Question!!

I run the recommended 36 psi for high speed driving in our owners manual. I have a 2 hour drive to work one-way and drive at high speeds very early in the morning to try and avoid what traffic i can.

So since I drive fast I run the 36 psi high speed recommended rating. it also helps with fuel economy, but by how much if any I don't know.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 AM
Life is random...so am I.

The only problem with switching them side to side is if you take the car in for service involving the wheels or suspension. Each wheel has a unique code that identifies it's position on the vehicle. If a service tech pulls the codes and is reading a problem with the left front wheel, and he finds nothing wrong with it, they'll say that there is nothing wrong, when in fact the wheel with the problem is on the right front. Just be sure to keep this in mind if you ever take the car in for service. Otherwise they'll charge you twice, and you'll have to deal with delays and hassles until they figure out the wheels are on the wrong side!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apkano
The only problem with switching them side to side is if you take the car in for service involving the wheels or suspension. Each wheel has a unique code that identifies it's position on the vehicle. If a service tech pulls the codes and is reading a problem with the left front wheel, and he finds nothing wrong with it, they'll say that there is nothing wrong, when in fact the wheel with the problem is on the right front. Just be sure to keep this in mind if you ever take the car in for service. Otherwise they'll charge you twice, and you'll have to deal with delays and hassles until they figure out the wheels are on the wrong side!
If your tires are rotated from side to side and you want to maintain accurate computer lire location readings, go the dealer and have them re-program the TPMS on the wheels switched.

As far as tire pressures, look in the manual or on the drivers side door when you open it, (or the body when the door is open, I forget which) and it will have the correct pressures listed. The pressures are 32 PSI for the front and 33PSI for the rear.

Last edited by xfire2005; 10-31-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 AM

So, should I take it to the dealer? How much will that cost? I have heard $90. Is that true?

Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular

as for the rotation someone said it earlier... it'll only effect the reading in the sense of what tires it says is low. what probably happened depending on where you went? some of the techs aren't familiar or trained to change tires or wheels with sensors its possible one or more of them were broke in the process. if this is the case take it back to the tire shop immediately and have them pay for the damaged sensors! THEY AREN'T CHEAP... about $50+ a sensor. as for the temp difference it was also stated earlier temps only going to drop the pressure 5 degrees or so and it takes a 25% drop in pressure to set of the light. i recommend havin a tire taken off by the CHRYSLER dealer and see what they find out!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM

I brought my car back to the Firestone. They reset the sensor for the tire pressure sensors. Every sensor is working fine. Well, it turned off!! I was happy...
Till two days later and it turned back on again!!! Dang it!!! Well, I am out of ideas. Is there a way to reset it that I don't know about? I mean, I didn't have this problem when I had the exact same tires on before.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM

If you have the TPMS light goes on, does that have any subsequent connection to other systems in the car, like the traction/skid control or throttle response?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
If you have the TPMS light goes on, does that have any subsequent connection to other systems in the car, like the traction/skid control or throttle response?
It did on mine. after driving for a while with low pressure indicator on, the wing will stay up regardless of speed.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM

TPMS does not like cold temps. the other morning it was 32 out side it took a few hours for it to go off.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Question!!

Have your tires filled with nitrogen instead of air and you will no longer have that problem.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 PM

Why would that make a difference? My tires have the recommended pressure.