Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

TPMS sensors

Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: TPMS sensors

Still watching the wheels go round and round with CarID... They waited till the last week to respond to the dispute.. and now has gone to a 3rd party mediator. Not sure how long that ties things up. Maybe in another couple months I'll have an answer to things on the sensors mentioned above..

Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Check the tire pressure yourself frequently and do the mod :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post537700

( do not remove the sensors from the wheels when you get new tires or the technician will have to put on a big glob of stick-on weights to balance. The wheels are designed to have TPMS sensors. )
Do what he said . . . ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Oh what a relief it is!

Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy OEMs for $56 from MoparOnlineParts.com (part no. 52088990AE for my '05 SRT6). You have to submit VIN and have them look up the right part no, as they can change within the particular model and model year. After a lot of soul-searching decided to go this route so I just ordered four. There were just too many different brands, shop equipment requirements, and reprogramming procedures in the aftermarket, IMHO. Even Schrader has multiple footnotes on Chrysler models, it seems to be a crap shoot getting one that will work. I wasted my time and money on Dorman units, nobody I could find in my city of a million people has equipment to clone their generic units, and you need the old ones to clone anyway, which my tire shop threw away. Will let you know if the factory ones work without reprogramming the car at the dealer, have my fingers crossed.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=brentwasham;825533]You can buy OEMs for $56 from MoparOnlineParts.com (part no. 52088990AE for my '05 SRT6). You have to submit VIN and have them look up the right part no, as they can change within the particular model and model year. After a lot of soul-searching decided to go this route so I just ordered four. There were just too many different brands, shop equipment requirements, and reprogramming procedures in the aftermarket, IMHO. Even Schrader has multiple footnotes on Chrysler models, it seems to be a crap shoot getting one that will work. I wasted my time and money on Dorman units, nobody I could find in my city of a million people has equipment to clone their generic units, and you need the old ones to clone anyway, which my tire shop threw away. Will let you know if the factory ones work without reprogramming the car at the dealer, have my fingers crossed.[/QUOT\

I gave up and bought from Chrysler. No one makes an aftermarket TPMS that can be set by the machine to work on XFs. In addition, Mercedes' machine won't work on XFs. I went the 'disable the idiot light', but I want to sell the car, so I ponied up the cash for the replacements.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 PM

I take it that it worked for you without the dealer reprogramming the car? I'm still waiting for my new sensors to be delivered. My hope is that they are picked up once installed and the car is driven for a while. Just spent $2,000 on fixing oil and transmission leaks, and other "labor saving" work such as spark plugs while mechanic was already in there. Don't need another bill.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by aschrager
I got these from Amazon. They work. Had a dealer program them.

3x Schrader 20028 TPMS Sensor fits Chrysler Dodge Isuzu Jeep Mitsubishi (1-pack)
Sold by Amazon.com LLC

$108.36

I don't think that "nobody" statement carries.. and hoping to add my own personal thumbs up..

Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I started this thread four years ago (CLICK) and the sensor used by aschrager was one of the two parts by Schrader that I quoted as a replacement part. The two parts are different because of the frequency (315 MHZ and 433 MHZ) that they transmit at and because of this the two parts are not interchangeable.
I guess it has gone full circle. LOL

Old 02-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I gave up and bought from Chrysler. No one makes an aftermarket TPMS that can be set by the machine to work on XFs. In addition, Mercedes' machine won't work on XFs. I went the 'disable the idiot light', but I want to sell the car, so I ponied up the cash for the replacements.[/QUOTE]

How would we know how many years these sensors were sitting on the shelf at the dealership? Do the batteries not wane even if not put into service? Do the packages they come in have a "born on" or "To be sold by" date?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by brentwasham
I take it that it worked for you without the dealer reprogramming the car? I'm still waiting for my new sensors to be delivered. My hope is that they are picked up once installed and the car is driven for a while.
I'm sorry to tell you that your hopes will be dashed . . . The Crossfire TPMS system is not "self learning". If you install new sensors (even new OEM parts from Chrysler), they will STILL have to be programmed to the car by the dealer.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 PM

Amazing that after-market manufacturers are advertising that their units will be picked up by the crossfire in their application instructions. Guess they are profiting off people's ignorance. But then so are the dealers. At least you can purchase the OEM's from the online dealer parts depts at a competitive price. TPMS's have always seemed to act erratically, I wonder if anyone has done quality control testing on vairous mfr's products. Would be nice to see a "Consumer Reports" recommendation on which brands to buy, including the OEM units.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Amazing that after-market manufacturers are advertising that their units will be picked up by the crossfire in their application instructions. Guess they are profiting off people's ignorance. But then so are the dealers. At least you can purchase the OEM's from the online dealer parts depts at a competitive price. TPMS's have always seemed to act erratically, I wonder if anyone has done quality control testing on vairous mfr's products. Would be nice to see a "Consumer Reports" recommendation on which brands to buy, including the OEM units.
I have had three cars with the pressure monitoring system on them and had two full sets of winter tires which had TPM's fitted in them and I have not had to replace any one of the twenty sensors for any reason. I'd say that is a pretty good record. I fully realize that being electronic parts they can go at any time for no apparent reason and the batteries may fail. The longest that I personally have had any one set is seven years, but I assume that the ones on the Crossfire have been on the car since the car was made in October 2004.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Do all crossfires have TPMS or was it an option on some of them

Old 02-05-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have had three cars with the pressure monitoring system on them and had two full sets of winter tires which had TPM's fitted in them and I have not had to replace any one of the twenty sensors for any reason. I'd say that is a pretty good record. I fully realize that being electronic parts they can go at any time for no apparent reason and the batteries may fail. The longest that I personally have had any one set is seven years, but I assume that the ones on the Crossfire have been on the car since the car was made in October 2004.
Our crossfire has had an intermittent light since purchased. Sometimes changing air pressure in a tire would help, but there's no way to know which one to even try with the silly single light. I have rented cars with intermittent lights on, too. I believe you are one of the lucky ones to have had so little trouble.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

I take it that it worked for you without the dealer reprogramming the car? I'm still waiting for my new sensors to be delivered. My hope is that they are picked up once installed and the car is driven for a while. Just spent $2,000 on fixing oil and transmission leaks, and other "labor saving" work such as spark plugs while mechanic was already in there. Don't need another bill.
No, I had the dealer set the new ones...that I bought from them. Oh, and it cost $800

Old 02-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by m3pig
No, I had the dealer set the new ones...that I bought from them. Oh, and it cost $800

When I took my car in for sensor programming from a "here try these out" deal.. they charged me 35 bucks to tell me they won't communicate. I'm guessing that is the "price" for setting them up in the car.

And yeah they came back with some ungodly price for new ones from them..

Old 02-07-2015, 12:53 PM

This maybe of some help to someone. Last week I bent two rims on a hole cut in the road by Dept of Transportation (there getting a bill) After having the rims repaired the TPMS light was on and would not go off. I checked the air pressure and added a little to get the the required 36psi for my SRT. That did not work so I went to the dealer and asked around. the new sensor was $103.00 each, testing was $60.00 plus what ever the labor to removed the tires would have been. I had a local shop test the sensors for $0.00 and they said they were all working but he could not get the computer to talk to the TPMS units. I read on the forum that a few of you had pushed your psi up to 50psi and the lights went out. I did this and my light also went out. But I was not going to run 50psi in my tires just to keep the light out. I turned the car off and lowered the air back down to 36psi and restarted the car. BAMM it worked no light at correct psi. It's been a couple of days and they are still off. QUESTION: Is 50psi a reset button for the system? Just my two cents.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:08 PM

How can you tell which sensor is bad?

Old 02-14-2015, 07:20 PM

I never really got an answer, do all xfires have a TPMS system or was it an option on some . My car is an 06 and has had plenty of reasons to not respond properly. So far I have a blank instr cluster. Meaning I have know TPMS light . Did the previous owner disconnect it? , and for that I should thank him a lot .

Old 02-17-2015, 02:19 PM

I just got 4 Schrader 20028 for my '05 Crossfire at Discount Tire. They had them in stock, were $60 each and no installation. Best to replace all 4 if any stop working because all will be near the end of battery life.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:20 PM

$160 for the set @ Amazon.. Guessing your making a trip to the dealers to set programming?

Quick Reply: TPMS sensors