Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

TPMS sensors

Old 02-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: TPMS sensors

I'm having the tire dealer install & program. Their price is right (free) vs Chrysler dealer. By ordering them here I don't chance getting the wrong ones online and getting stuck with them. More interested in keeping this moving than saving a few bucks and wasting a lot of time.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: TPMS sensors

Originally Posted by rscrogg
I'm having the tire dealer install & program. Their price is right (free) vs Chrysler dealer. By ordering them here I don't chance getting the wrong ones online and getting stuck with them. More interested in keeping this moving than saving a few bucks and wasting a lot of time.

Let us know how this works out for you.. FYI.. same part no. at Amazon as you posted. Don't think I've ever seen a post on a tire shop with the DAS system or equivalent to program the car yet.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:20 PM

I just got 4 Schrader 20028 for my '05 Crossfire at Discount Tire. They had them in stock, were $60 each and no installation. Best to replace all 4 if any stop working because all will be near the end of battery life.

???....???

Just a thought too. When I had my "freebies" to test out .. they said they could install and set them up no problem too..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 02-17-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello rscrogg . . .

I don't want to rain on your parade but many of us have already been there . . . done that. Even when the system works it is obsolete and virtually useless. Just not worth any effort or expense to try and get it / keep it working. I'll bet you'll soon be asking for your $240.00 refund from Discount Tire (hope you get it without a hassle) and be back here on the forum looking for that thread on how to disable the TPMS system . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 02-17-2015 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrFister (04-28-2023)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Hello rscrogg . . .

I don't want to rain on your parade but many of us have already been there . . . done that. Even when the system works it is obsolete and virtually useless. Just not worth any effort or expense to try and get it / keep it working. I'll bet you'll soon be asking for your $240.00 refund from Discount Tire (hope you get it without a hassle) and be back here on the forum looking for that thread on how to disable the TPMS system . . .

I'm banking on those (P/N) working and setting them myself. I don't check my tires every time I get in the car.. thumbs up I guess to those who do.

Waiting to clear up the wheel purchase with CarID is getting real old..

And once I get the wife's car's working.. my cars will be next even if pulling a wire is cheaper than 2 more sets.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:37 AM

Time for an update . . . How's your progress on this??

Old 02-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thr dealer is the only place that you can get the TPMS set. You need a Chrysler OBD III with a MB adapter. Not all dealers can do it.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by aschrager
Thr dealer is the only place that you can get the TPMS set. You need a Chrysler OBD III with a MB adapter. Not all dealers can do it.
Hello Alan, Yes but we're waiting for rscrogg to tell us that's what he has learned . . .

Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Hello Alan, Yes but we're waiting for rscrogg to tell us that's what he has learned . . .

I've been waiting for clarification of in stock or ordered.. both statements were made..

Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 AM

I'm starting to think we lost rscrogg here. There are two possibilities . . .

1) Discount Tire did get his new TPMS units installed / programmed / working but he wants to keep his success a secret from the rest of us??

OR

2) Things didn't work out as he thought / hoped they would an he's too embarrassed come back with an update to let us know the results??

rscrogg . . . What happened??

Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Schrader sensors at Discount Tire (a national chain) for $60 each installed. Problem is their computer couldn't program them and I had to go to the Chrysler dealer. They needed the numbers off the sensors, so back to Discount Tire to remove tires and get the n mbers, then to the dealer, which charges $95 to program the 4. Should have just taped over the light. If you buy sensors, get the numbers before they are installed!

Old 02-27-2015, 04:35 PM

I got the Schrader sensors at Discount Tire (a national chain) for $60 each installed. Problem is their computer couldn't program them and I had to go to the Chrysler dealer. They needed the numbers off the sensors, so back to Discount Tire to remove tires and get the n mbers, then to the dealer, which charges $95 to program the 4. Should have just taped over the light. If you buy sensors, get the numbers before they are installed!

Didn't think you were in for the cake walk you thought.. but thanks for the ID tip on them.. I was under the impression activating them with the magnet and working in sequence around the car would work (car would pick up signal and log as you progressed).

Now I'll be sure and log the ID's prior to install.. AND WHEEL DISPUTE IS DONE! We have a letter stating so.. and now it's time to find a local dealer that will get us fixed up with a correct paint scheme

Old 02-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

What numbers? Part numbers or ?
You know what number but we don't.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 PM

The ASIC number is different among my 4.. so logging it.. and ironically the numbers at the bar code on bottom differ to.. so snapping a ref. pic of them too!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from Amazon. Schrader 20028 for $36.57 each with free shipping. When I got new tires put on they replaced the sensors. I went to the dealer they said it would be $45 to set them. I had other work done at the same time so they didn't charge me to set them. It took about a minute to set them. There OBD III and MB adapter and a magnet is all they needed.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:15 PM

I got mine from Amazon. Schrader 20028 for $36.57 each with free shipping. When I got new tires put on they replaced the sensors. I went to the dealer they said it would be $45 to set them. I had other work done at the same time so they didn't charge me to set them. It took about a minute to set them. There OBD III and MB adapter and a magnet is all they needed.

I was thinking the magnet was all that was needed.. as they spent about 45 minutes trying to find it when I took the "freebies" to the dealer.. and seems I had read that before also. Maybe they couldn't find the magnet so sent him off for fun and games.. ?

And by my experience with a "sorry won't work".. they nailed him on the price too. Seems I was hit for 35 bucks.. IIR

Old 02-27-2015, 05:18 PM

I (we) appreciate the update . . . Don't want to be a continual downer about this but if the Chrysler dealership has the necessary equipment and the TPMS sensors you have are compatible, the dealer's equipment can "read" each of the sensor IDs electronically . . . there should be no need to dismount the tires so you can visually read the numbers off the sensors. Unfortunately, I still don't think you'll get those sensors programmed to the car . . . even at the dealership. I've been down that road and done all this before.

BUT . . .

I'll still be pleasantly surprised and happy for you if you get everything working.

Lastly . . . no need to put tape over the light on the dash. Follow instructions in the forum thread to disable the system . . . a 15 minute job . . . all problems solved.

PS regarding posts above mine . . . I don't think any of those magnets are involved in programming the TPMS system on our Crossfires . . . on some other cars yes but not on the Crossfire. I could be wrong about that . . . In fact I thought I was wrong once earlier this year but I turned out to be wrong about that! I need to ask the wife if she's counting that as one wrong or two wrong?? . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 02-27-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:39 PM

I read that as after a chain dragging experience they are done and working.. could be wrong here though..

Old 03-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought 4 new (part # 92-1016C) for about $50 each, with my discount; not OEM. Shop manual says to program with DRBIII & magnet, special tool 8821, (page 2841?) Nothing about needing the new codes.
Oops: from local NAPA. Will let u know about programming.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Schrader lists the following parts for the Crossfire (Coupe, Limited and SRT6);

Schrader #20028 for '04, '06,'07, and '08 for $49.99 plus service kit #20003 for $2.99
This replaces OEM part #5096808AA

Schrader #20028 (see above) or #20066 for '05 (Limited and SRT6) for $65.99 plus service kit #20013 for $5.24
These replace OEM parts #5096808AA or #5142340AA respectively.

The '05s and '05 SRT6 could have either sensor in them so check carefully.

The OEM numbers listed above are for the sensors only, there are other OEM numbers out there and I think those are for the complete sensor assembly consisting of the sensor, the nut and the cap.

The service kit has the rubber seal for the rim, valve, nut and cap.

DO NOT BUY THEM FROM A STEALERSHIP

These part numbers are to be used carefully, different sites have shown various numbers but the ones above seem to be consistant. In other words buyer beware. Check exactly what you are replacing, if the dealer gives you the wrong part it is his fault, you buy the wrong part and you may end up eating the cost.

http://www.schrader-bridgeport.com/f...MS_catalog.pdf

Universal sensors are replacing the multitude of sensors on the market, the sensor available now only replaces one of the two types used on the Crossfire. This would be some of the 05's and some of the SRT's.

Schrader EZ-sensor #33000 EZ-sensor - Quick Start Guide
This sensor comes with two options, snap in or clamp in stems. Crossfires use the clamp in stem which is the metal. stem. The stem is screwed to the sensor and is replaceable.
The 33000 only replaces one of the two sensors used on the Crossfire, the 5142340AA (20066). This is the sensor used on some 05's and some SRT6's.

So five years after I said that the Schrader #20028 was one of two parts that would work, the other being #20066 in some models, we seem to have proved it to be correct.
I guess Schrader should know, they made the originals.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-01-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: TPMS sensors