All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by 55chevy
Yes, it is a real 1955 MG TF 1500, it came from Birmingham according to the seller, his dad bought it when he was in Mom's belly in 1962, I'm surprised he decided to sell it but he's a mechanic, and didn't want to put it together after wrenching all day. It's been disassembled and painted, needs finished/bolted back together, includes new interior seat covers/door panels kit, that and dash, chrome trim need installed, should be a fun driver.

I kept the cat material, wonder where would be a good place to sell it?
A moving definition of sports car. Fun, economical and easy to understand. I never managed to get one but have long been a fan of that range.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
It self immolated one day ( I wasn't driving ). He replaced it with a Austin Healy 3000 with electric overdrive. At least it had a windshield !
Cough - Lucas - Cough
My friends MGB burnt, never did find out if wiring, or carbs, probably a combination. And my Father-in-law had a Healey 100/4 with the funky electric/hydraulic overdrive for 2nd and 3rd, another wiring oddity.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced my old and worn tires with brand spanking new nitto tires that I bought from 4 Wheel Online 20% off.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
It's 1466 cc, as the TF 1500 indicates. I think the older TA-TD's were 1250 cc, so this is the SRT version.

Interesting as the old Midget went from 900cc to like 1100cc to 1250 or something like that.

Here was my attempt at classic roadstering.

It cured me of ever wanting a classic LBC.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Now a days with fancy sockets and wrenches that fit anything it may be easier to put together. I can tell you my Dad had fits trying to find all the Wentworth tools he needed for his. They're a completely different kind of motoring and unexplainable to people that haven't had the opportunity to be in a British 50 to early 60's roadster.

Oh yeah, cats … gotta stay on topic. My 4 cats are in the closet in case I want to go back to stock one day.

Les
I had an Healy 1000-6 and HEALY sprite bug eye which was perfect when I lived in Hawaii.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 PM

could you tell me what type of bike carrier you used and if you would trust it on an interstate for hours on end? i am looking at an 8 hour drive with my bike and i have never used a bike carrier!!

Old 08-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maggiemay
could you tell me what type of bike carrier you used and if you would trust it on an interstate for hours on end? i am looking at an 8 hour drive with my bike and i have never used a bike carrier!!
I use the Saris Bones II...carries two bikes, mounts without interfering with the spoiler.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a new tire mounted for the front left. Zip tie stitched some of the left wheel fender liner that had been ripped. Continued working on getting the weatherstripping glued back to the windshield surround. She's a wreck but she's my wreck

Old 08-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

The drivetrain to convert from NA to SRT showed up today. The fun begins.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:25 PM

Now I'm having fun.. Had the Dent Wizard take out a big dimple out of the hood., Touched up the paint , installed MGP caliper covers ,washed the inside of the wheels,and went to Brunch........

Old 08-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by steps
Now I'm having fun.. Had the Dent Wizard take out a big dimple out of the hood., Touched up the paint , installed MGP caliper covers ,washed the inside of the wheels,and went to Brunch........
I'm happy to see the turnaround from just a few weeks ago. That Crossfire bug has definitely bitten you and Crossfire fever lasts for many years. Welcome to the permagrin club!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
The drivetrain to convert from NA to SRT showed up today. The fun begins.
Hi Peter, I hope you have a nice heated garage . . .

Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Forum Regular

The plan this morning was to take the XF to storage unit and bring the Daytona home to detail it for a show this Sunday. The problem was it was a crystal clear perfect day to own a convertible and the 20 minute drive to the storage place turned into a two and a half hour drive through southeastern Indiana. Finally made it to the garage and back home but, it was 4 PM by then and I didn't feel like detailing anything.

fe8d26b5-0488-46b4-8b20-d0e142b92fe5_zps4b3tveon.jpg

Last edited by xjken; 08-20-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took off the grill and removed the K&Ns. Cleaned and recharged them. Reinstalled and ready for another year. Then went for a drive in the mountains with a stop over to an old brew pub.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Turned 41,000 on the odometer on the roadster...a bittersweet feeling is settling in...to drive or not to drive.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the HUD [ heads up display ] Ill have to learn all the features , battery voltage, water temp, RPM, MPG, and more things that don't even want to know.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed LED running strip lights. Not hard but a little time consuming to do it right.....and hide the wires etc. Anyway, a nice result IMO. I chose a different set up than most (I believe). They are set up as eye brows,with a slight dip by the grill. Most I have seen have been the Audi style set up under the lights (only way to do that is outside and under the light assembly. I put mine on the top of the light behind the plastic lip of the headlight so when the hood is closed you can't see them (I actually have them under the rubber so you can't really see them even when its open). This set up has the lights actually shine through the headlight assembly. Anyway, here's a couple pics.

EDIT:
Quick Summary of LED Eyebrow Strip Lights / Running Lights Installation
Why did I pick this placement: First, I wanted something different and most newer factory placements aren’t under the lights any longer, but above or around the lights. I thought this would give it an updated look / feel. Second and foremost, it was because this placement actually makes it look light the strip lights are INSIDE the headlight assembly. If you look at the headlight, there is a slight “LIP” on the plastic on the assembly. Placing the strip lights here actually has the light show “Through” the headlight assembly. I think that’s pretty cool illusion.
EDIT with summary of instructions:

• General Info:

• I used 1 pack of LED Stip lights. Cost - $25. They are weather resistant, flat with LED lights facing front through the side of the strip. The pack I bought had the battery so you could see the lights, how they looked and take advantage of generally placing them in the area to see how they would look. I bought white, but they have blue, red and green as well.
    • The lights strips were both 14 inches in length – one for the left and one for the right. No cutting was required. The length is perfect to allow the lights to run from the edge of the hood with a slight angle down by the side of the front grill
    • This placement also allows for less / no interference with the existing look of the standard parking lights located in the corner of our headlight assemblies.
    • Preparation: Clean the top of the headlight under / round the rubber strip that seals when the hood closes. Use some alcohol and let dry. This is to allow for the best adhesion of the light strip.
    • Precise Placement: I chose to place mine slightly back from the headlight lip, and under the rubber seals for 2 reasons. First, I didn’t want to be able to see them, not only with the hood open, but with it closed. You can’t plane the back too far under the rubber though otherwise it will cover / block the lights. Second, I wanted to make sure they were held in place, not only by the tape but with the added pressure of the rubber holding them in place.
    • Left light wire location is easy. On my strip set, that has the strip with the lights on the correct side facing forward with the wires at the correct (left) end of the string. Run the wires under the rubber in the corner and tuck them under near the fender well. Then run the wires down and through an area toward the front of the car. You’ll need to remove the grill. I pulled the wires through the hole by running a strip thing stick with tape wrapped around the tip, wrapped the wires around the tape and then pulled it through out toward the grill area. NOTE: You’ll now need more wire and some wire crimps to connect the wires (make sure you can identify the positive and negatives and that the wire is long enough to then use the same stick, attach the extended wires to run through (same procedure but now on the right side) back to the engine compartment on the right side.
    • Right side: Next, you’ll need to run the right LED strip wires from the section of the rubber close to the grill, back through and behind the headlight. You have to do this from the left side of the headlight near the grill because that’ the only way the LED lights were facing forward. Once you do you will need to connect the negative wires together (I’ll get to grounding location later) and the positives together. You won’t need a lot of extra wire for the negative / ground wire because I just ran it under the light assembly, up to the corner bolt where the fender and light are bolted and ground it with that bolt. You will need enough wire though to run the positive (only one wire needed now) back to the fuse box by the fire wall. You will also need an inline fuse holder (I bought one at PepBoys for about 4 buck) and a 3 or 4 amp fuse. Connect the positive wire to one end of the in line fuse wire and secure and then put a round crimp connector on the other end to eventually secure that to the hot feed in the fuse box.
    • To connect the wire to the hot feed in the fuse box, you’ll need to remove the top of the fuse box, and then the next part of the fuse box cover to get to the lower box area. There is a hot lead (always on) which is located in the lower box area far right bolt by the fender / firewall. I stuffed a klenex in around it so if the bolt fell, it wouldn’t be impossible to get. I also placed tape inside the socked so when I took it off and put it back on, it would stay in the socket and not be lost. You connect an appropriate sized connect from the fuse wire here and therefore the light will always be on when you turn the car on. If you don’t want this, you’ll need to pick a different connection / fuse.
    • When securing the light strips, peel away the tape and try to make sure application is the same area on both lights.
    Good luck. Happy to answer questions and also send a few location pics to aid with these instruction

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150821_201032_resized_1.jpg (1.70 MB, 27 views)
20150821_201213_resized.jpg (1.65 MB, 27 views)
20150821_201435_resized_1.jpg (1.85 MB, 31 views)

Last edited by PNA; 08-24-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Photos didn't upload first try
Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 480 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
Turned 41,000 on the odometer on the roadster...a bittersweet feeling is settling in...to drive or not to drive.
I just rolled the 99,000 mile mark on mine after 8 years of ownership and I drive, drive and drive more and more.
Why have a fun car if you don't use it and enjoy it ?

Attached Images
DSC_5442.JPG (287.4 KB, 235 views)
Old 08-21-2015, 10:57 PM

I took off my passenger door panel to check the power window, it barely moves down, and has to be helped to get it up all the way, I found a loose cable on the regulator, the cable housing at one spot is loose also, looks like going into motor and has a spring, going to drill rivets out tomorrow and see if repairable, not holding my breath.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by PNA
Installed LED running strip lights. Not hard but a little time consuming to do it right.....and hide the wires etc. Anyway, a nice result IMO. I chose a different set up than most (I believe). They are set up as eye brows,with a slight dip by the grill. Most I have seen have been the Audience style set up under the lights (only way to do that is outside and under the light assembly. I put mine on the top of the light behind the plastic lip of the headlight so when the hood is closed you can't see them (I actually have them under the rubber so you can't really see them even when its open). This set up has the lights actually shine through the headlight assembly. Anyway, here's a couple pics.
Sounds interesting . . . I'm not seeing the pictures??

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?