All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Specialty Tools??

Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specialty Tools??

I just bought my buddy's 04 crossfire with a six speed at 89,000 miles. I like doing my own mechanical work so I ordered the repair manuals. An old friend of mine told me that the crossfire is a ***** to work on and I'm gonna end up spending a bunch of cash for specialty tools if I need to do work. She used to work in the service dept. of a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership. Anyone out there have input an experience on this? How bad can it get?

So far it just needs a few signals replaced, a new windshield, new headliner, and a good waxing.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Specialty Tools??

Let's just say it's easier with the specialty tools but there's usually a work around if you don't have them. I had my windshield replaced this year with a cheapo chinese one. For $250.00 the quality isn't that important and so far it's been better than the stock glass.

Les

Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 AM

Thanks. I couldn't imagine another way to bolt a car together that hasn't been done for the last 100 years.

It was sorta described to me that you need specialty tools to hold/move things while you work on something. I was also told that you have a special tool for the spark plugs to be changed (which is in my near future).

As long as I can pretty much do the job with a bunch of sockets, screwdrivers, etc. I'm fine with having to work around.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I bought this but have yet to use it. Some say you need it, others say you don't. Ebay has plenty to purchase ahead of time.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Or you could purchase this and put your mind at ease...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Chrysler-Crossfire-Special-Tools-Waterloo-Traxx-Series-Rolling-Cabinet-/330953904605?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d0e63d1dd&vxp=mtr

Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Haha that's sadly a much better price than I heard for just the tools, not including the cabinet for them. I don't plan to do anything to the car, just maintain and keep it stock. Most of those tools look like stuff to help disassemble the motor and tranny.

That took pic doesn't look like it is for spark plug boots. It just looks like a wrench with the ends flared out. I haven't looked under the fancy engine cover yet to see what I'm getting into yet. It may not be as bad as I'm hearing.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

To get the spark plug boots off you'll need to use an open end wrench to pry with or grab the side seam with pliers and pull hard. You'll figure it out.

Les

Old 10-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by bblanchard33
I just bought my buddy's 04 crossfire with a six speed at 89,000 miles. I like doing my own mechanical work so I ordered the repair manuals. An old friend of mine told me that the crossfire is a ***** to work on and I'm gonna end up spending a bunch of cash for specialty tools if I need to do work. She used to work in the service dept. of a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership. Anyone out there have input an experience on this? How bad can it get?

So far it just needs a few signals replaced, a new windshield, new headliner, and a good waxing.
It's a pity you got the manual as it can be downloaded from this forum for free.
You are not going to be stripping the car so you'll only need regular tools for the most part.
This forum handles problems on Crossfires but most cars are trouble free so do not panic, you only hear about the problems here. No one writes a thread about their car with no problem.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the reassurance. Good point, nobody posts about stuff going right. Didn't know the repair books were available free. I don't mind springing for the paper ones. Usually my hands are all grimy when I'm turning a wrench and I'd rather not touch the phone or computer then.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The car does use star head fasteners all over the place. I recommend you get a set of star sockets and bits.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM

If you mean the ones that are sized as T-30, T-40, etc. I've got a few of those. Good to know. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bblanchard33
If you mean the ones that are sized as T-30, T-40, etc. I've got a few of those. Good to know. Thanks!
A set of metric sockets, Torx both sockets and drivers and I used a long handle [about 11 inches] bent needle nose plier to pull the plug boots. That will do most of the routine maintenance, oh, also a oil filter wrench. You should be fine. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James1549
Or you could purchase this and put your mind at ease...

2004 Chrysler Crossfire Special Tools Waterloo Traxx Series Rolling Cabinet | eBay
Wow, $2500. I got box with all tools for $700 back in late 2008 right after all the dealerships went under. There were multiple sets on Ebay all of the time. I guess the supply has dried up.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
A set of metric sockets, Torx both sockets and drivers and I used a long handle [about 11 inches] bent needle nose plier to pull the plug boots. That will do most of the routine maintenance, oh, also a oil filter wrench. You should be fine. Good luck and enjoy.
I finally took the car to get an alignment check. Lol the previous owner had the tires inflated to max pressure because he thought the tires were supposed to be that full. *facepalm* They also said the toe angle was way off. While on the lift the saw oil had been leaking and accumulated on the bottom of the oil pan.

I took off the engine cover for the first time today. Once that was off it looks like any other motor, except I can see I'm gonna need a good set of Torx bits. Oil is leaking from the passenger side valve cover. Fortunately it doesn't look like a hard fix. Oil level was still fine and color looks good.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I just changed the valve cover gaskets and had to remove the ignition coils and unplug the wires. I see what you mean about the pliers and Torx. Wasn't nearly as bad a fix as I thought. I don't really see why so many people are griping about how hard it is to work on this thing.