All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Alarm

Old 10-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm

Just bought a 2004 coupe two weeks ago. Love the car. Only problem I am having is any time I lock the car about ten minutes later the alarm goes off. When I shut it off with the FOB it is OK even over night. Alarm never sounds again until I lock the car again. Have read most of the older posts and am wondering if I should take it to an MB shop to have it looked at. Read about fuse 9 but then you cannot lock the hatch, correct? Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 10-31-2014, 11:52 AM
Default Re: Alarm

maybe be the battery in the alarm horn ? Its all in one ! I just replaced mine not long ago ! If the battery goes bad starts to leak on the alarm board & starts to do crazy things ! Alarm is in windshield cowl where wipers are ! Not hard to change !

Old 10-31-2014, 03:02 PM

I have been reading about it . I am going to take a look at it this weekend. It has stopped going off the last few days but I think it is the alarm also. Thanks. This forum is a really big help.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkske
I have been reading about it . I am going to take a look at it this weekend. It has stopped going off the last few days but I think it is the alarm also. Thanks. This forum is a really big help.
I have had similar symptoms that kept getting worse. I removed the alarm siren yesterday. Opened it up with hacksaw. The batteries are bad and leaked, damaging the circuit board. This is apparently a real common problem, that is discussed on this Forum and Mercedes Forums (do a search). Some have replaced the batteries if the board is still functional. I had 3 options. Buy a replacement siren (around $150); clean the board up and hope new batteries might revive it; remove or disconnect the siren so it won't give the car false indications of an alarm, making sounds and flashing lights at times. I opted remove it and put tape over the connector. Good riddance. Nobody pays attention to alarms anyway, because most are false. Stealing a Crossfire is very difficult with or without an alarm. My lights still flash when locking & unlocking, and my Radio Shack buzzer mod still gives me tone sound with the flashing lights.

If you replace it, a used one might have the same problem now or in the short future. Also, a new one has probably been on the shelf for years. The batteries might not be as good as new? My understanding is that these were built by Scorpion Alarms and are obsolete.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:43 PM

I am thnking along the same lines and wil probably just disconnect it. The red light on the console will sill flash and that alone will discourage someone from trying to steal it.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Forum Regular

I am thnking along the same lines and wil probably just disconnect it. The red light on the console will sill flash and that alone will discourage someone from trying to steal it.
The most difficult part is getting the windshield wiper arms removed. They were really pressed on. They do make a tool just for that purpose. I used a standard battery terminal removal tool. One could also use a small gear puller? There was quiet a snap when they popped loose.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Forum Regular

Also, when the siren is removed or disconnected, the panic button will still flash outside lights. The alarm system is still armed when you lock the doors and the lights will flash if there is a break in. The alarm system should do its normal things. Just no siren sound. When the backup batteries leak inside the siren the internal circuitry must get messed up, thinking it is being tampered with??? Then strange things happen. Not a good design. Almost a planned failure after 5 to 10 years. Dealers don't have a clue and start changing other wild goosechase expensive parts.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the help. You answered some questions I had. I saw on a post you can get a tool to remove the wiper arms at Advaned Auto for about $6.00. That is what I am going to do.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help. You answered some questions I had. I saw on a post you can get a tool to remove the wiper arms at Advaned Auto for about $6.00. That is what I am going to do.
Make sure to remove the plastic cap and nut on the blade arm before you use the puller!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Forum Regular
Old 11-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=05roadsterguy;817542]$150 every decade for a new siren is not a big deal. They are easy to replace and fairly cheap. If you pre buy the siren and have the right replacement nut ( and puller for the wipers)it is a 30 minute fix.
I don't disagree, and it's not really the cost for me (although I am cheap). I just don't have confidence the batteries in a new one that has been sitting on the shelf for many years will really last. Also, for me the alarm noise is not really important, so why bother to replace it. At least the symptoms of this problem have be well documented in several posts and members can do as they please. Disconnect, remove, or replace. Another option is to replace the internal batteries, before the leaking/corrosion occurs. You got to get out the hacksaw or dremel tool for that though.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:46 PM

I got it out. THANK YOU for all the help.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

did you get the tool to remove windshield wipers or just mess with them till they came off?? Glad you got it worked out!!
Btw, what color Crossfire are you driving? I used to be the only (Graphite) Crossfire in the Treasure Island/Madeira Beach area....now my Crossie has a sibling

Old 11-02-2014, 10:01 PM

I got a tool at Advanced Auto. Good thing I did because they were really on there. My Crossfire is Alibaster White