All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Fob Problem

Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fob Problem

I have a 2007 Crossfire with a fob problem . I just bought the car on 5-10-17 . The previous owner dropped the fob into salt water . The fob when I got it would open and lock the car with the key and the engine would run . You could not lock or unlock the car with the fob . I put new batteries in the fob as the old ones were dead as I tested them with a volt meter . So now when I press and hold the open or close button for a few seconds the light lights but it still does not lock or unlock the car . I tried the push one button twice and then insert the key within 30 seconds in the ignition turn to run but still not locking and unlocking the car . The funny thing is even before I replaced the batteries in the fob the car would run and drive with dead batteries in it . After reading the other threads on problems with fobs . I got the impession that the fob had to be working to get the car to run ? Is that true ? Or will a dead fob , not able to lock and unlock doors still let the car run ?

Old 05-15-2017, 06:44 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Fob Problem

There are two parts to the fob, the active electronics part ( the batteries and circuit board ) that works to lock and unlock remotely. Then there is the passive 'RFID' chip which is un-powered.
The SKREEM and ring around the key socket excites the chip via RF, then looks at the resulting RF response. It enables start if what it sees is correct.
This 'RFID' chip is nothing but a piece of crystal, so the salt water did not effect it's function, however the circuit board is most likely toast.
You will need to get a new fob from Rob at NeedsWings if you want the remote to work.
( about $160 )

Old 05-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things to try.

If you press and hold either the lock or unlock button for about two seconds, look in the red window on the fob, you should see a round red light flash for a second each time you press and hold. If you see that light, it's possible your remote at least has power to work. If you don't see any light flash, then nothing is happening at all (no power). Is it possible you put the batteries in upside down ? They will fit upside down (and not work). See the + mark on the inside of the cover and the + on the batteries. Both + should face the same direction toward the removable cover. Also, CAREFULLY check the little flexible contact pins, maybe they are bent out of position slightly and not making contact with the batteries enough. Again, CAREFULLY is the caution word here, they probably will break off very easily if you bend too hard.

Next, on the programming of it, the way you typed it, it didn't exactly show the right procedure, but you may just not have described correctly what you were doing.
The instructions I got with my new fob said:
1. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
2. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

Your description said you put the key in AFTER you pressed the button. I don't know if you actually did it that way, and whether that even matters, but if so, try again following exactly as stated above and see if that helps.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by tpellegr
I have a 2007 Crossfire with a fob problem . I just bought the car on 5-10-17 . The previous owner dropped the fob into salt water . The fob when I got it would open and lock the car with the key and the engine would run . You could not lock or unlock the car with the fob . I put new batteries in the fob as the old ones were dead as I tested them with a volt meter . So now when I press and hold the open or close button for a few seconds the light lights but it still does not lock or unlock the car . I tried the push one button twice and then insert the key within 30 seconds in the ignition turn to run but still not locking and unlocking the car . The funny thing is even before I replaced the batteries in the fob the car would run and drive with dead batteries in it . After reading the other threads on problems with fobs . I got the impession that the fob had to be working to get the car to run ? Is that true ? Or will a dead fob , not able to lock and unlock doors still let the car run ?
You say the key will lock the car so I assume that the passenger door and the rear hatch or trunk lock as well?

Old 05-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just re-read your original post, and you did say the light lights when you press the button on the remote. I missed that earlier. I assume you mean the light on the remote fob, not the light in the interior of the car. Can you confirm?
If you meant the light inside the red window on the fob, then the batteries should be fine, and the first part of my instructions can be skipped. I would think if you have the light working on the remote consistently, your remote has a good chance of actually working. So maybe it is just the programming part that isn't set up right (if you're lucky). Try the other part of the instructions about putting the key in the ignition first, THEN pressing the buttons, and turn the key. Maybe that will do the trick.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Question Re: Fob Problem

OK the red light does come on when I press the open and close button and hold it down for say one or two seconds . It looks like to Me its functioning . But doesn't lock and unlock the door . I tried with the key in the ignition in the off position hit the say open button two times then turned the key to the run position and tried to lock or unlock the door nothing happened . I will try again now with a second fob that is supposed to be good ! I just got this one from the seller I forgot to take it when I picked up the Crossfire .

Old 05-15-2017, 09:27 PM

Tried the good FOB the doors lock and unlock with no problem . Put the bad fob key in the ignition hit the open button twice then turned the key to the run position . Tried the fob to see if it would lock or unlock the doors no good . The light on the bad fob still lights like it is transmitting a signal when You press the open or close button .
Don't know what to do now ? I guess I should be happy I have one FOB that works !!!

Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

It's called Faraday's Laws of Electrolysis. Salt water is the epitome of what you need to set up the chemical reaction that, in this case, destroys the components and the board itself.

The RFID chip that the skreem reads to start the car is sealed and powered by the ring around the key - so the car should start fine. BUT, the small circuit board that holds the transmitter (which is battery powered) is not sealed at all, it is this assembly that the lock/unlock/panic buttons are using to signal the car.

You need a new key. Contact Rob at Needswings.com

Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by tpellegr
Tried the good FOB the doors lock and unlock with no problem . Put the bad fob key in the ignition hit the open button twice then turned the key to the run position . Tried the fob to see if it would lock or unlock the doors no good . The light on the bad fob still lights like it is transmitting a signal when You press the open or close button .
Don't know what to do now ? I guess I should be happy I have one FOB that works !!!
The light means the battery is OK, nothing else.
The fob transmits a radio signal for locking/unlocking and nothing else.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:03 AM

OK Thanks for all the help and information !!!!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

ya, sounds like you need a new key, keep the old one for a spare to get into the car when you lock the good key inside

Old 05-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
ya, sounds like you need a new key, keep the old one for a spare to get into the car when you lock the good key inside
Just don't keep it in the glove box.