All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

2004 Crossfire Electrical Issue

Old 02-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Crossfire Electrical Issue

I have a 2004 Chylser Crossfire with 134k on it, when driving the car some sort or energy is being sucked out or not genorated it will run for 2-3 days fine then just random stall out with no power at all completely dead! I have changed the alternator and battery brand new both and also looked for a parasitic drain but my amperage tested out fine. I have checked all fuses no relays. But the cars continues to die out after a couple days. What makes it even weirder is that I have two obd scanners and none of them won’t read any codes from either module in the car ? What could this be please help this is my daily drive.

Im a bit mechanical inclined
Would this be the pcm computer ?

I have already re soldered the points in the rcm but still no luck. T

please help me

Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Crossfire Electrical Issue

Do the interior lights work? Do you have any ad- ons. Have you checked to make sure the rear hatch is closed? Just hitting basic, to start with. Is the radio going off ,after the car stops?
Welcome to the forum...

Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 PM

Everything works in her car all the doors are closed even the hatch . The only aftermarket thing I have is a stereo but this issue started 3 months after the install. And the stereo has a manual button to turn it on and off. And thank you love this forum site !!!

Old 02-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Romeo212
Everything works in her car all the doors are closed even the hatch . The only aftermarket thing I have is a stereo but this issue started 3 months after the install. And the stereo has a manual button to turn it on and off. And thank you love this forum site !!!
Maybe the cables to the battery are making bad contact somewhere, and the alternator is not charging the battery.
Or the cables are corrodedout inside the insulation.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:34 PM

I have not really checked them like that and taking them off but on either end they show corrosion and the reading when connecting my multimeter shows 14.2 when running but if I live it connected and drive for two or three days it will end up dieing out on me. And not only that the battery’s mess up inside. Since I got a new one from Orielys it has warranty and I’ve changed it to due to bad cells inside like the car messes up the battery too, don’t know why

if you could call me i could explain more at 956-754-1413 Romeo I would really appreciate it

Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

it will run for 2-3 days fine then just random stall out with no power at all completely dead!

......shows 14.2 when running but if I live it connected and drive for two or three days it will end up dieing out on me.

And not only that the battery’s mess up inside. Since I got a new one from Orielys it has warranty and I’ve changed it to due to bad cells inside like the car messes up the battery too, don’t know why

Has anyone ever told you that you write cryptically? I want to help but it is very hard to understand what you are saying.

Others here are assuming your battery is going dead, and that may be what is going on, but if the car stalls going down the road - then what does it take to get it started back up? Is the battery dead at that point (which would be obvious, but you don't actually SAY that.)

A battery that is boiling it 's fluid out is being overcharged, but if you see 14.2 volts with the engine running, it is not being overcharged.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Administrator

I have not really checked them like that and taking them off but on either end they show corrosion ...
If they look like this, your first step should have been to clean the hell out of them, then after you wasted a lot of time on that, you should have replaced the cables entirely. Corrosion that bad is usually as bad INSIDE the battery cable lug as it is outside.

Ill tell you another thing: Running around with heavily corroded battery terminals is a first class ticket to damage to the car's electrical modules.
I'd suggest you post a photo of what you are talking about.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:42 PM

I am really sorry about the writing I was in a rush and didn’t look over it. No cables show any sign of corrosion at all. To be more specific ( I am driving the car and then it will start to turn off all the cluster lights and then the headlights will dim down then eventually the car will just die out and being completely dead. I will take out the battery and take it to oreilys to get it tested. But the battery comes out defective with bad cell then after getting a new battery and installing it in the crossfire. I will drive the car and the exact same thing will happen two days later). I don’t know what it could be I have no idea.

Things I’ve done :
New alternator
New battery
No Parasitic Draw
Checked all fuses ( there all good )
Already re-solder the point on the rcm module

Won’t let me read any codes at all off a obd2- scanner that use to work on this car.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Sounds like the alternator is not charging. Measuring voltage across the battery you should see 12.0-12.8 with the car sitting and 13.4 to 14.5 with the engine running.

Remember, the way you charge a battery is to put voltage on it higher then it's terminal voltage, causing reverse current to flow thru it.

And don't say you have NO parasitic current flowing, the spec is for 45-55mA. When you shut the car off and close the doors, you will see up to 600-900mA, as the systems of the car hibernate, the current will drop to around 50mA in around 90 seconds. If you see NO current, I suspect your meter is not reading right.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Thank you very much I took out my muiltimeter and check the voltage of the car sitting and it was at 12.4V and when running the car ,with the new battery it’s at 14.2V . When I close all the doors and let the car sit for five minutes it’s shows me ..36mA .

The thing I don’t get is that how does the car keep dieing after 2-3 days with a new battery and alternator. I even replaced the alternator two time (new) to be sure It wasn’t a defective alternator the first time but it continues to die out after a couple days.

Also would you be able to tell me why the crossfire won’t let me scan any codes ( it use to work fine ).

Old 02-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Strange one, For some reason I am thinking there is a short in the siren module. The security system arms after lockdown and if there is a short/draw lower than the fusing circuit then that could be where you are getting that drain. If your testing for parasitic draw then your having the alarm off and the hood open. I just had this pop ringt into my head, I hope it helps with the solution.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:40 PM

Any other suggestions out there I can do or what could be wrong with the car ?

Old 02-03-2018, 01:46 PM

Hey guys back with some new I checked all the cable wires and fuses they all came out good but when I turned on the car a bad smell was coming from the alternator which is brand new I just bought it 2 weeks ago. What is making it smell bad like electric wires melting, what can be causing a brand new alternator to do that ?

Old 02-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I am driving the car and then it will start to turn off all the cluster lights and then the headlights will dim down then eventually the car will just die out and being completely dead.
And you have a smell of hot wires?

I'm thinking a battery cable is shorting to ground between the battery/starter/alternator. This can damage the alternator and battery and would make the system voltage go very low, causing the lights to dim and the engine to die. Remember, there is no fuse between the battery/starter/alternator.

But it's hard to say, Im not there to look at it.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:35 PM

Damn Pizzaguy I really appreciate the help you’ve been really helpful . And yes it smells like wires melting but it’s coming from the new alternator that I put on. All the symptoms your saying are the ones im going through. You wouldn’t mind calling me so I could explain more to you and hear your information. I really need this car running Pizzaguy

Romeo
956-754-1413

Thank you very much

Old 02-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You didn't by chance hook the battery up back-asswards, did you ?

Old 02-03-2018, 03:18 PM

No sir everything is hooked up how it originally was

Old 04-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My XF sat for 20 days and battery drained.
I tried to trickle charge overnight and battery didnt like that. So got a new one under warranty as old battery only got to 11v.
With new battery I placed meter in series on neg side, between post and cable.

http://

This reads .38A after letting it sit for several minutes.
Removed fuse 9 alarm, keyless entry, etc.
Draw dropped in half.

http://

Old 04-16-2018, 03:29 PM

Then I pulled fuse 8 also

]http://[/url]

Drain on battery dropped to .01

Now can leave car for extended time without any maintainer,charger,disconnects,etc.
Cheers!

http://<a href="http://s1372.photobu...[/IMG]</a>

Old 04-16-2018, 03:31 PM

My XF sat for 20 days and battery drained.
I tried to trickle charge overnight and battery didnt like that. So got a new one under warranty as old battery only got to 11v.
With new battery I placed meter in series on neg side, between post and cable.

This reads .38A after letting it sit for several minutes.
Removed fuse 9 alarm, keyless entry, etc.
Draw dropped in half.

Quick Reply: 2004 Crossfire Electrical Issue