All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Headlight aim issue

Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Headlight aim issue

Coming home from the Indiana Crossfire meet yesterday the sun was setting so I had put on my headlights. I've only used my headlights a couple times so far and I never thought they were very bright but last night I noticed that they are not aimed very well either. When I got home I stopped in front of my garage door and switched the lights from low to high several times. It is obvious that something is not right. The high beams are way off. In fact I thought the left one was burned out as I could not see it on the road at all. So this weeks project is to find the procedure to aim the lights. Here are a couple photos of my lights now. You can see how the left high beam is way too high.
I've been researching posts here today and I have read that many times the bulb is simply not seated correctly so I will try that first but I may look into brighter bulbs as well.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Headlight aim issue

Tom the bulb not seating would be my first thought, sometimes they just seem like they don't want to seat in the grove. That being said my Red 04 coupe was terrible with the aim with one the bright was aimed perfect with the other one but the dim was in the trees. After a lot of checking it was decided that it had been damaged in a fender bender before I owned it and the alignment between the bright and dim on one side had been knocked off track.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope it is just the bulb twisted in the socket and not the plastic gear stripped.
I have led low beams and Hella 100 watt high beams, with alot of driving in the middle of the night and seeing a lots of deer constantly, I wanted more to shine on the ditches, and added in these lights in lower grille they are a combo spot / flood, the beam is really wide but not high, standing in front where a on coming car would be, they are less on the eyes than the low beams, I have wired on relay to the high beams.

think I spent about $28 for 4 of them on ebay.
the 1st morning I turned them on I had to turn them back off with seeing sooooo many more derringer than normal lol

Old 10-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom3120
Coming home from the Indiana Crossfire meet yesterday the sun was setting so I had put on my headlights. I've only used my headlights a couple times so far and I never thought they were very bright but last night I noticed that they are not aimed very well either. When I got home I stopped in front of my garage door and switched the lights from low to high several times. It is obvious that something is not right. The high beams are way off. In fact I thought the left one was burned out as I could not see it on the road at all. So this weeks project is to find the procedure to aim the lights. Here are a couple photos of my lights now. You can see how the left high beam is way too high.
I've been researching posts here today and I have read that many times the bulb is simply not seated correctly so I will try that first but I may look into brighter bulbs as well.
You do not have to unhook the spring, just rotate the bulb and socket, with a bit of luck you can feel it pop into the slot, hooking up the spring after getting the bulb in position is often the time the bulb moves out of alignment. That is what I have found anyway.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
I hope it is just the bulb twisted in the socket and not the plastic gear stripped.
The plastic gear usually doesn't "strip" the ball at the end pops out of the socket due to too much cranking on the adjuster. Simply turn clockwise or in until you feel it pop back into the socket and all is fine.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Sylvania makes a nice selection of bulbs that provide more light. I went through multiple adjustments to seat them correctly, but it was all due to the bulb not slotting in to the socket correctly. Never had to touch any alignment screws. It was maddening until I figured it out because one was pointing about 30' in front of the car. It helps to have a small hand to get at the bulbs. I also purchased one of those small mirrors on a stick so I could see exactly how to line them up.