All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Well it's winter here in NY and it's getting to the point where I'm putting my car away for the winter.

So, I usually winterize my car by throwing in some fuel stabilizer to a full tank and by plugging my car into a battery tender.

I was thinking of adding tire ramps this year. What do you think of these Bunkerwall Tire Ramps?

Does anyone use ramps? Or are they a waste? My mindset was that for $60, I would get some piece of mind that my tires won't go flat during the 5 or so months my car is out of commission - especially since I have to garage it in a facility that I cannot access until springtime.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Originally Posted by carblogger
Well it's winter here in NY and it's getting to the point where I'm putting my car away for the winter.

So, I usually winterize my car by throwing in some fuel stabilizer to a full tank and by plugging my car into a battery tender.

I was thinking of adding tire ramps this year. What do you think of these Bunkerwall Tire Ramps?

Does anyone use ramps? Or are they a waste? My mindset was that for $60, I would get some piece of mind that my tires won't go flat during the 5 or so months my car is out of commission - especially since I have to garage it in a facility that I cannot access until springtime.

If you want to stop the flat spots, why not jack stands? If they are off the ground then no flat spots. Also unloads the suspension. Good luck with those ramps, looks to me they will still have a sort of flat spots.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Modern wide tires do not get flat spots. I have had no issues storing mine over the winter.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I used to put cardboard under the tires out of concern the acidic concrete would hurt them. Gave that up after a few years. First wash the car well. Add Stabil, top the tank, use a battery tender, and boost the tire pressure to 38-40 to prevent flat spots. I have not had any issues over 12 winters. PS - When I have to store the cars without access to an outlet, I remove the batteries and use a battery tender in my basement.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Do what I did.

Move south. ��

Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Never had flat spots, seems like a solution looking for a problem. Woody

Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
Never had flat spots, seems like a solution looking for a problem. Woody
I agree, remember when they used Nylon in tires and said it was a great idea. If you parked your car in cold weather, moved it every week for a month you could make the tyres square.
I just add a few psi, move the car a bit and just forget about it, no problems here in the Great White North after five months. I do not bother with gas additives either, straight gas no ethol if fine. I like 🌽 on the cob, but no corn in the gas tank.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

No flat spots? I get flat spots on all of my vehicles (radials). Thumpy ride for a few miles, then smoothed out. My vehicles are outside (cept for the XF, but no heat in garage) and are rotated about every week (rotated means driven for about 50 miles per trip). Hard to understand why yours doesn't get flat spots...

Old 01-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
No flat spots? I get flat spots on all of my vehicles (radials). Thumpy ride for a few miles, then smoothed out. My vehicles are outside (cept for the XF, but no heat in garage) and are rotated about every week (rotated means driven for about 50 miles per trip). Hard to understand why yours doesn't get flat spots...

I am hearing impaired, it helps. The garage never goes below 40 deg. And the car gets moved back and forth once in a while. Flat spots go pretty quick so who cares?

Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concrete is slightly alkaline at about a pH of 8.5. Mild bases or acids will not harm rubber. Ozone is the real enemy of tires and rubber bushings.

I would get four jack stands and raise the tires off the ground. Walmart sells some for 9 bucks each. With modern wide radial tires, flattening is not really a concern though.

Last edited by David M; 01-02-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ramps will not stop flat spots either, but they may help reduce the severity of the flat spots. Overinflated is a better bet. Now if you're running "extreme" performance tires i.e. potenza RE-71R, Direzza ZIII, Ventus R-S4, Advan Neova AD08 R you should remove them and store them in your warm house. The same goes for track compound tires(I'll assume track racers already know this). The rubber compound is very soft and freezing temps can harden the rubber to the point of possibly cracking the compound if you were to move or worse drive on said tires in freezing temps. If you don't want to remove these type of tires then i second the jack stand method till spring time. I realize most xfire owners don't opt for the extreme or track tires, but if you were contemplating getting some next time around, you should be aware of proper winter storage for them if your car will be subject to freezing or below temps. Just my .02cents

Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

When removing the tires for winter storage, does something have to be done so the alarm does not go off when jacking up the car? This may have been covered elsewhere but I didn't find. I have had the wheels off before, for brake work, but that was on a lift. Never have jacked up the car but have heard that the alarm could go off.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

The alarm can be disabled with the alarm button on the console. I have jacked the car up many times without the alarm engaging and I do know that it works having replaced it and tested it with the panic button on the fob.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks bluecoupe for that information. Saves my hearing in my small garage.

Jim