All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Price increases in Cross fire parts.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price increases in Cross fire parts.

There are obviously many reasons and factors as to the recent large increases in car part prices for our Crossfires. But I did want to share one more that I came across in my search for a reason several weeks ago. Apparently, a marketing company approached the major auto manufacturers with a new pricing idea which based auto replacement parts on the "perceived value " of the part to the buyer. If the part, for example, was not being produced as an aftermarket part and could only be purchaced new from the manufacturer, those prices would be increased to whatever the company felt the customer
​​​​​​was with to pay for it. Half of the aproximately eight major automobile companies named chose to adopt this type of parts pricing, while the other half flatly rejected it. I do remember looking at the list of those that accepted it and seeing the names of a few of the remaining auto manufacturers of OEM Crossfire parts. I am going by my recollection as I can not locate the exact article now, but found it very interesting. It may or may not be a factor in our recent large parts price increased, but it sure might be a contributing factor.

​​
​​​​​

Old 12-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Price increases in Cross fire parts.

Well, somebody is ripping us off! I can't see any company or individual being able to justify 100, 200, or 300% price increases. A previous post on this forum suggested, as I recall, that some small company bought out all the surplus SKREEM units from the manufacturers with the reasoning to the manufacturers, that it was silly for them to maintain an inventory for such a small group. It was then suggested that the new purchaser of these parts would raise the prices considerably to recoup their investment.

I don't know if this is true, but the idea would not surprise me. Some guy with some bucks can corner the market and then, with no concern for the little guy, gouge all of us. The same goes for Chrysler and Mercedes with their obvious lack of concern for the people that patronized them with a purchase. I can understand a price increase of around 30% or so, to recoup my investment, because where else is one going to get that kind of interest on their money!

I don't know the answer for this. I solicited information on this site to see if there was a government agency that we could contact to help us out, but didn't get any response.

I guess there's just not enough people that care.

Jim

Old 12-09-2018, 12:34 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I care. I didn’t respond because I don’t have an answer.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 AM

I care ,too. But let's face it, companies do not have to provide us with any parts after ten years, or so I have heard. Add to that bankruptcy of Chrysler, multiple owners over the years, and the fact that they(who ever they are) can stop providing us with any part at any time...not a good situation to rock the boat any further, in my humble opinion. Heck....I just paid the $1300 for the two parts! That wasn't easy, let me tell you!

Old 12-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I care too! Also bit the bullet and spent $700 for a spare SKREEM to ensure my Crossfire's extended life.
Also noted that responders are geezers, like me, and are most likely retired with limited living contacts in business and/or government.
There is a strong need for the current unretired membership to run with the ball and seek a solution for long-term parts support.
Otherwise, the assured non-availability of replacement parts, such as SKREEMs and transponder chips will result in relegating our Crossfires to the scrap heap.
(BTW: I was able to still buy all of my '53 Packard's parts for restoration (288 CI Straight 8 engine with Ultramatic transmission) in the late '70s, 20 years after Packard faded into history.)
Cheers,

PS: In a bit of a funk after my Alma Mater lost to Army yesterday for the third year in a row...
Maybe next year Bill the Goat will give 'em the horn!

Last edited by Chooch; 12-09-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

CHOOCH - Amen to all of the above, especially the senior part.

Jim

Old 12-09-2018, 07:47 PM

Yes, a a bunch of is us older guys on this forum. You should see how many on the Buick forum!

Old 01-01-2019, 07:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Value pricing rare parts is not a novel idea.

In the fifth grade, one of my smarter buddies proposed buying up all the pennies in the US and then selling them for a nickel each.