All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Formal Training in Auto Electronics

Old 08-09-2023, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Formal Training in Auto Electronics

I have an idea. I'v mentioned it before. It's getting to where, while I like helping others with their car, and will continue to do so, too many of us are too dependent on shops that can't seem to fix electrical issues. The average "mechanic" has no more expertise when it comes to electricity or electronics than the average person on the street. This is getting silly (speaking in general, not just about Crossfires.)

I asked myself, "Could I teach the average 'wrench head' to learn to handle most electrical/electronic issues on their own?"
I have been tagged at work, again, to teach an intro to RF (radio frequency) theory and application. If I can teach THAT, certainly I can teach basic electricity and electronics.

I have worked out a PDF document I will post here, if you are interested in learning what I am talking about teaching, please read thru it and, if you are interested, send me email feedback as I describe at the end of the document. The cost of setting up an "online classroom", developing the materials and presentation, and starting with students who will largely NOT be familiar with concepts involved is quite an undertaking, but I teach similar stuff at work so I do have a lot of material ready to go. IF there is enough interest, I would take this project on. Fact is, after so many years, I am TIRED. I can't spend so many hours helping others here and on Facebook. Perhaps I could train a few replacement, as well as train individuals who just want to learn.

Again, read the attachment, instructions on how we might proceed are in the last paragraph.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Class Syllabus V2.pdf (255.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-10-2023, 05:51 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Formal Training in Auto Electronics

pizzaguy ... I commend you for this adventure ... I have had other types of training in my past that were "use it or Loose it" type ... meaning it was something you could forget if you didn't regularly use what we were taught ... Do you find the electrical side of things fall into that area? I have often thought it would be good to know and understand what I was checking and why ... but checking and/or working on electrical is not something I do on a regular basis ... Thank for offering this to us, and thank you for sharing your vast knowledge of electrical an Crossfire's

Old 08-10-2023, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DeKalb
pizzaguy ... I commend you for this adventure ... I have had other types of training in my past that were "use it or Loose it" type ... meaning it was something you could forget if you didn't regularly use what we were taught ... Do you find the electrical side of things fall into that area? I have often thought it would be good to know and understand what I was checking and why ... but checking and/or working on electrical is not something I do on a regular basis ... Thank for offering this to us, and thank you for sharing your vast knowledge of electrical an Crossfire's
This might be the most thought-provoking or 'thought-provoked' comment I've had (I have posted this on all the Fakebook pages and have had considerable response, it's surprising that there is no interest in this group.)

You bring up a good point, but I would still assert that, if you take the course and LEARN the material, it can stick with you such that you know enough to be effective AND, when the time comes to use the knowledge, you will not only have the class materials, but also the basic knowledge with which you can 'google' answers quickly. I have done almost NO component-level electronic repair since 2010 and yet, on occasions where I find myself working on a radio or similar device, I find "it's all right there". Of course, I did the work for 28 years, so maybe I am off-base a bit.

But I do think that explains some of what appears to be a lack of interest - the belief that the average person would not use what they learned. There IS some validity to that concern. It just appears (as much on Fakebook as here) that there is a desire to know more and understand more. I think I also based my guess that there was a lot of interest on the fact that I see, both here and over there, a LOT of people giving advice who clearly dont understand what they are talking about. I'd like to empower these very people to KNOW what they are talking about such that they can become an asset to the community and not do the damage they do by wasting people's time with nonsense advice. I really thought that these people would overwhelmingly respond to the offer, but Dunning-Kruger is strong, and many probably fool themselves into thinking they are giving good advice.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-10-2023 at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 08:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 311 Likes on 226 Posts

pizzaguy, I have read your syllabus and I think it is a great idea. I would like to better my understanding of automotive electric diagrams as well as trouble shooting components.
I did take a computer electronics course back in 1986. As you know a lot has changed since then. Most of what was taught would be more applicable to basic home alarm wiring.
Over my 34 years with a VERy large telecommunications company, I did do a lot of wiring and basic trouble shooting with various meters.
My only concern would be the time of the class. I've sent an email as requested.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:32 PM
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

@pizzaguy I looked at your syllabus and it's pretty complete. I really like the layout of the class. Considering the breath of the material that you have laid out, it is most definitely a multiday class. Since I am very new to the community, during the meetups, has anybody kicked around mini-classes? For example a four hour class on very basic electrical troubleshooting with a meter and some hands on examples. The other classes could go over common mechanical failures, troubleshooting the ragtop, ect?

Old 08-17-2023, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by xintersecty
@pizzaguy I looked at your syllabus and it's pretty complete. I really like the layout of the class. Considering the breath of the material that you have laid out, it is most definitely a multiday class. Since I am very new to the community, during the meetups, has anybody kicked around mini-classes? For example a four hour class on very basic electrical troubleshooting with a meter and some hands on examples. The other classes could go over common mechanical failures, troubleshooting the ragtop, ect?
I and others have tried, we've even offered driving classes - but our events are social/driving events, it is vacation time. It's the wrong venue.

And with my current offering, I've posted it here and on five Crossfire Facebook pages - I have only two people ready to attend. No one is interested OR they think they 'cant learn that stuff'. In either case, the idea has just about died. I tried.

I will no longer try within the Crossfire community, there simply is no serious interest. I understand that meets are not the place for this, I thought a separate, online class was the answer, it wasn't.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-17-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 04:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can bus has added another dimension to auto electrics in my experience and it seems like something that you need to deal with regularly in order to retain any learnt expertise. Then there is the equipment required. I was reading something on line about using a OBD breaker box and multimeter to fault check and thought that would be reasonably simple to learn and retain but the cost to me of a box was a bit silly so I wondered how effective that fault finding method would be and if the Mercedes system was the only way to go although it sort of ties you down to that one make. Auto electrics is a pretty complex business now, some seem to have a knack for it, others not so much.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:10 PM
Administrator

The CAN BUS is far beyond the scope of what I offered. You can't talk to the average person about diagnosing the car using the CAN BUS when they have NO clue about electricity or electronics in general. Having said that, there is a guy on Youtube who does a TREMENDOUS job of explaining the CAN BUS both at the physical (layer 1) level and the higher levels. I had his stuff bookmarked on my old laptop, but have not tried to find him again, as I am far too busy with other stuff and have no interest right now in spending time learning it. Much of my 'down time' is spent on my Vulcan 2000 (mods and cosmetic stuff).

And with essentially NO response to my offer here, a CAN BUS offer would, I imagine, be even more of a waste of time. People do nott want to learn, look at our tech help threads here, most want to be just 'told what is wrong' and refuse to even help us help them. Such people are invited to take their car to the local Chrysler Dealer, where it won't get fixed, but maybe the dealer will give them $1500 off on a new car.

I learned a lot with this offer: I learned that the only help people REALLY want, is to be told on one sentence, what is wrong with their car, based on a poorly worded post on this forum. Once we all become mind-readers, we will be all set to help such people.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:23 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Pizzaguy, did you get the email I sent to your gmail account listed on the syllabus ?

Old 08-20-2023, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by zip439
Pizzaguy, did you get the email I sent to your gmail account listed on the syllabus ?
No and I just found M60's, GMAIL had sent it to SPAM. What the HELL did it do that for?
STill looking but you might resend.

M60A3Driver (08-21-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 03:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well shoot. I would love a class like this. I will keep watching…

Old 08-20-2023, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Well shoot. I would love a class like this. I will keep watching…
I am very discouraged. But I admit the emails keep trickling in, so maybe.........................................

M60A3Driver (08-21-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 08:07 PM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
No and I just found M60's, GMAIL had sent it to SPAM. What the HELL did it do that for?
STill looking but you might resend.
resent

Old 08-22-2023, 11:41 AM
P-J
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just sent you an email regarding the class...

pizzaguy (08-22-2023)