Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

fluid found on garage floor

Old 01-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluid found on garage floor

NOOOOOO!! This morning I pulled my Xfire out of the garage to take her out for a drive in our really nice San Antonio weather only to discover a small circle of fluid on the floor. I smelled it, and my best guess is that it is oil. I thought my baby was perfect, and the thought of needing a repair kills me.
As I did my best to inspect the underside, it looks as though it might be an oil pan seal/gasket that needs changing. I have only had this car for about 6 months and have not put many miles on her. She has 58K miles on the odo, but I”m sure I”m looking at a nice repair bill to remedy this situation.
Any suggestions or input you have is surely welcomed. You all have a great new year and enjoy each day.

Thanks to all.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: fluid found on garage floor

Ninja, are you sure it's leaking from the oil pan? I don't think I remember hearing anybody mention an oil pan gasket leaking before.
I would take the belly pan cover off, and slide a big flat piece of cardboard between the front wheels. Start the car up and run it until it warms up, then go back and check it for leaks a few hours later.
I think it's probably more likely that it's leaking from a valve cover gasket and running down the side of the motor. Or from around the drain plug.
Check around the oil filter housing as well.
It's probably not anything major.
Good Luck

Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a oil leak from a valve cover however if your car is an Automatic it is more than likely this :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-ta-daaaa.html

Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

If it has a slight ammonia smell and tastes salty, it is probably cat pee.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

If it's an auto, my money is on notorious pilot bushing leak:
2035400053 Mercedes Auto Trans Connector C SL ML CL CLK | eBay

Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all.....thanks for the input and options to check out to diagnose the problem. First of all, i am NOT very mechanically inclined, but I am not too afraid to get my hands dirty on something that I feel is within my range of capabilities. I’d certainly rather pay someone to work on it if I feel I will end up in worse shape if I tackled a job that I can’t handle. Anyway, a few bits of information...the fluid was not reddish like transmission fluid, so I’m going to rule out that as a problem (thanks for the thought though).
Next, the fluid DID seem like oil, and the spot was dropped off of that pan (if indeed it is the oil pan - which I think it is). I checked around the valve cover and I did notice some weeping/seepage from the seal on the cover. Strange thing is that THIS is one of those items I made sure to check before buying the car because I learned of this problem while researching possible problems with these beauties. Anyway, this is certainly a possible cause of the drop that was laid on my garage floor. Would be nice if the fix can be done from ABOVE rather than having to put the car on a lift to work on an oil pan seal.
Thanks for your ideas guys; you’re the best, and if anyone has any other thoughts please share.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you completely rule out the tranny bushing leak : If you are not the original owner, the tranny fluid may have been changed and may not be red. Just something to think about.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be the oil drain plug didnt get a new crush washer when the last oil change was done and its seeping from there. worst case it could be a rear main seal leaking. best way is to clean the underside and allow to dry then slide cardboard under with out the underpan and see what happens. remember when the trans plug leaks it wicks up the cable absorbs any dirt so it may not drop on the floor in red

Old 01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't be fooled by the colour of the fluid. As with others here on the forum the brownish "oil" turned out to be tranny fluid. If the leak is on the right side and behind the belly pan, chances are it is not engine oil.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 578 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldwing
If it has a slight ammonia smell and tastes salty, it is probably cat pee.
LOL

A Tom cat will actually confirm this by spraying your wheels.

Of course that is a vicious cycle and you could end up moving houses, or getting into big trouble with PETA.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you've had your oil changed since the last time you looked at your garage floor....could just be spillage from the guy that changed it. Clean it up & wait & see if it keeps recurring before you do anything radical.

Also, my 07 had a rear diff leak....(fixed via the LPW)....but that tiny spot was of course at the back of the vehicle.