Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Not around as often as I used to be...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Not around as often as I used to be...

Ever since they closed my favorite section of the forum I haven't been around as much as I used to be. Sorry... can't say what section that is without getting in trouble!

But the point of this thread is to say thank you to everyone here for your time and effort in creating such helpful posts. For 6+ years I had my crossfire oil changed at the dealer. Now that I don't drive the car as much I change the oil MYSELF once a year. The first time was a long and painful process. Even though I changed the oil myself for years on my past cars I found the crossfire more difficult. Dropping the shield and having to jack the car is a pain in the neck. I learned from that experience because my second attempt 2 weeks ago was flawless! I saw the write up on this forum and new the exact size wrench to have with me. Went through the whole process without spilling a drop of oil and did it like a pro. It took me an entire hour from start to finish but most of that time was spent pouring the new oil in the car. 8 and a half quarts one at a time took me a while.

So thanks to everyone for spending the time and documenting your oil changes. It saved me a lot of time in searching for the right tools. I didn't have to get under the car with a bunch of wrenches testing the size. I had the exact size with me from the start. I was able to get under the car and get right to work... it was perfect and felt great to do it myself! And when you do it yourself, you can feel confident it is done right!

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 03-20-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 418 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Re: Not around as often as I used to be...

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
Ever since they closed my favorite section of the forum I haven't been around as much as I used to be. Sorry... can't say what section that is without getting in trouble!

But the point of this thread is to say thank you to everyone here for your time and effort in creating such helpful posts. For 6+ years I had my crossfire oil changed at the dealer. Now that I don't drive the car as much I change the oil MYSELF once a year. The first time was a long and painful process. Even though I changed the oil myself for years on my past cars I found the crossfire more difficult. Dropping the shield and having to jack the car is a pain in the neck. I learned from that experience because my second attempt 2 weeks ago was flawless! I saw the write up on this forum and new the exact size wrench to have with me. Went through the whole process without spilling a drop of oil and did it like a pro. It took me an entire hour from start to finish but most of that time was spent pouring the new oil in the car. 8 and a half quarts one at a time took me a while.

So thanks to everyone for spending the time and documenting your oil changes. It saved me a lot of time in searching for the right tools. I didn't have to get under the car with a bunch of wrenches testing the size. I had the exact size with me from the start. I was able to get under the car and get right to work... it was perfect and felt great to do it myself! And when you do it yourself, you can feel confident it is done right!
Ahh my young padowin, all you need to do is put the oil into the motor where the filter sits before you install the filter. Quite a large hole there to pour into, never spilled a drop! Great your back to changing your own oil, saves you BIG BUCKS!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Ahh my young padowin, all you need to do is put the oil into the motor where the filter sits before you install the filter. Quite a large hole there to pour into, never spilled a drop! Great your back to changing your own oil, saves you BIG BUCKS!
Actually I didn't save much money... And I don't do it to save money. I do it to keep idiot mechanics away from my car

Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM

Actually I didn't save much money... And I don't do it to save money. I do it to keep idiot mechanics away from my car
Yeah, the ones who will somehow break something and bring it to your attention (or not) so they can 'part' you to death. Been there, done that... How could you not save a lot by doing it yourself? I just got 5 sets of 5 qt containers of mobil1 0W40 and mobil1 filter for $32.99 each. Thats enough oil for three changes with two filters left over, total $178 n change which figures less than 60 bucks each change and two free filters. Anyway, never seen a dealer or anyone else do an oil change for our cars for 60 bucks. They hit us up for a lot more, I hear. Anyway, I agree with your wanting to keep others hands out of your car's internals.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do it to keep idiot mechanics away from my car
Exactly!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Yeah, the ones who will somehow break something and bring it to your attention (or not) so they can 'part' you to death. Been there, done that... How could you not save a lot by doing it yourself? I just got 5 sets of 5 qt containers of mobil1 0W40 and mobil1 filter for $32.99 each. Thats enough oil for three changes with two filters left over, total $178 n change which figures less than 60 bucks each change and two free filters. Anyway, never seen a dealer or anyone else do an oil change for our cars for 60 bucks. They hit us up for a lot more, I hear. Anyway, I agree with your wanting to keep others hands out of your car's internals.
I didn't get a deal on the oil. I bought 9 quarts and a filter for exactly 100 dollars from Napa. I think the dealership charges me about 130 (I could be wrong because it has been a while since I let them change my oil).

The only reason I do it myself is because I am tired of dealerships. Everytime I go to a dealership I get more nervous and upset. There is always a kid working there quick to jump in my car. Then I have to watch him jack around with the stick shift for 20 minutes because he doesn't know how to put the car in reverse. I get my car back and find dirty oil spots on the steering wheel because some "expert technician" can't wash his hands first before pulling my car around the corner 15 feet. My other option is a quick lube place but they rush and break things. Those guys are clowns and I have seen them do real stupid things... like pour my old oil in the new filter so they can moisten the rubber rings (Seriously... come on!). I take my other cars that I don't care about there. A few months ago they almost drove my jeep down into the basement pit because they were pulling the car into the bay and were careless (they jumped over the rail). I figure it is worth an hour of my time to do it myself and make sure it is done right! I could care less about the extra 30-60 dollars saved.... especially when it comes to the crossfire.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 03-21-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a large independent shop that works on all makes of cars near my home. For $20 labor I watched them change my 04's oil with my own Mobil 1 and fleece filter. No problems. At my age and physical problems I feel it is money well spent! They are probably one of the few places that still let you supply your own parts and still charge a reasonable amount for labor, if you so choose.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey BC, there's a much easier way to DIY the oil change. Just get yourself a Mityvac MV7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus.

Mityvac

This is the method used by the M/B dealers. I change mine every 10000 miles (once a year) and never have to jack the front end or put up on stands. Here's how it works... I mosey on out into the garage on a Sat. morning, still in my bathrobe and slippers mind you, pop the hood, pull the dipstick and insert the siphon tube from the vac. Give her around 12 - 15 pumps and mosey back in to read the paper and a couple of cups of Joe. I then mosey back out about 15 -20 minutes later and there sits 8 qts. in the vac. Pull the siphon hose out and insert it into one of the large plastic jugs that the kitty litter comes in, reverse the valve, 12 pumps and go to change the filter which is RIGHT THERE. Add fresh oil into the filter opening, add new filter and the litter jug is full. Cart the jug off for disposal. No bending over or sliding under the car or worries about stripping the drain plug.

BTW... this is the same model Mityvac that Tesla Motors uses to add fluids to the Testa Roadster during the final production faze!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
Hey BC, there's a much easier way to DIY the oil change. Just get yourself a Mityvac MV7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus.

Mityvac

This is the method used by the M/B dealers. I change mine every 10000 miles (once a year) and never have to jack the front end or put up on stands. Here's how it works... I mosey on out into the garage on a Sat. morning, still in my bathrobe and slippers mind you, pop the hood, pull the dipstick and insert the siphon tube from the vac. Give her around 12 - 15 pumps and mosey back in to read the paper and a couple of cups of Joe. I then mosey back out about 15 -20 minutes later and there sits 8 qts. in the vac. Pull the siphon hose out and insert it into one of the large plastic jugs that the kitty litter comes in, reverse the valve, 12 pumps and go to change the filter which is RIGHT THERE. Add fresh oil into the filter opening, add new filter and the litter jug is full. Cart the jug off for disposal. No bending over or sliding under the car or worries about stripping the drain plug.

BTW... this is the same model Mityvac that Tesla Motors uses to add fluids to the Testa Roadster during the final production faze!
I am not entirely sold yet on the idea of pumping your oil out. I just feel it is better to drain it out of the bottom.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi

Mityvac

So what about doing the normal checks your suppose to do during an oil change that requires being under the car? Have you changed your brake fluid yet? That's supposed to be done every 2 years. I have to go under my car since the manual says you must drain the oil from the bottom, but while I'm there I've got time to give the tires and suspension a good once over.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
"Have you changed your brake fluid yet? That's supposed to be done every 2 years".
Where the heck are you seeing a maintenence schedule that requires brake fluid changes every two years? Never saw any kind of schedule like that. If your replacing that fluid every two years your wasting a lot of time and money.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 PM

Where the heck are you seeing a maintenence schedule that requires brake fluid changes every two years? Never saw any kind of schedule like that. If your replacing that fluid every two years your wasting a lot of time and money.
I don't have my manual with me at the moment but I believe it's in there. Brake fluid does go bad after a couple of years by obsorbing moisture in the air. Also if you take your Crossfire to a trackday or the dragon since it's basically a track weekend you need to consider doing it. I wouldn't be suprised if you didn't boil your brakes last fall.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 PM

tadaa don't you love the internet?

Attached Images
File Type: png
Brake Fluid.png (57.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 PM

tadaa don't you love the internet?
Still do not see a schedule for replacing the brake fluid in the crossfire every two years. In all the years I've owned cars, I never saw a two year brake fluid replacement schedule. Will have to keep looking, although I could not find it in my 04 service manual set nor the XF owners manual, yet...

Old 03-25-2012, 10:53 PM

go here
Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class

Check out the service every 2 years or 20k miles for the 2003 SLK
It says to replace the brake fluid

Attached Images
File Type: png
03 Brake Fluid.png (74.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 PM

go here
Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class

Check out the service every 2 years or 20k miles for the 2003 SLK
It says to replace the brake fluid
Wierd, says every two years... wierd...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see you again Black, been awhile unfortunately, since the forum section that shall not be named had been dismissed.

yes the maintenance on the brakes is 2 years, which I think is overkill for normal driving which mostly I do. having said that, this year at the end of the season I'll be having the brake fluid changed, the transmission flushed and filled and the radiator fluid changed when it's in for the oil change. The car is an '06 so it's been now 6 years. My local Chrysler/Ford dealer charges me $8.00 for labor to change the oil, I bring my own oil and filter. We set up that arrangement when I got the car, and in return they are my primary dealer service place. They've done a nice job for me. When I got my new wheels put on, one or two of the bolts had thread issues. the mechanic was nice enough to refile the threads properly at no charge, and I paid him extra on the side for it.

So anytime I want something done, I bring my own stuff and they just charge me the labor. It works out fine for both of us as they get practice on a rather rare car to them, and they don't have to be searching all over for goofy parts. It's a small town shop. Buy my tires from them and I'm maybe one of two Crossies they see in a year.