Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Digital minority: Looking for head unti compatible with non-ipod mp3 player

Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Digital minority: Looking for head unti compatible with non-ipod mp3 player

I've got a Creative Zen, and I'm seeking a new head unit specifically to allow direct connectivity to the player. My backup option is standard auxiliary port, but I'm wondering if there are additional possibilities that would allow greater functionality.

for example, if I used a head unit with a USB port and connected the mp3 player to that, could I use the stereo to navigate the Zen like a SD memory card?

There is also a connector on the ZEn that matches the standard connector on the iPod. Is it feasible that I could connect an iPod cable to this connection and get any additional functionality.

Are there any non-ipod users out there who have tried either of these methods of connecting (or any others, for that matter)?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Digital minority: Looking for head unti compatible with non-ipod mp3 player

i don't think i've ever seen a head unit that will "run" a Zen. the best you may come up with is a USB head unit that will see the Zen as a "mass storage" device, and it'll pull the files that way.

i can say for sure that a USB Pioneer head unit does not recognize a Sony PSP at all.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Default Re: Digital minority: Looking for head unti compatible with non-ipod mp3 player

Originally Posted by Mr. F
i don't think i've ever seen a head unit that will "run" a Zen. the best you may come up with is a USB head unit that will see the Zen as a "mass storage" device, and it'll pull the files that way.

i can say for sure that a USB Pioneer head unit does not recognize a Sony PSP at all.
That's what I'm hoping for. Thanks for the note.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM

ack. Everyone here owns an i-Pod?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R/TommyB
ack. Everyone here owns an i-Pod?

Everyone in the world does! They're the best portable audio devices in the world. (IMO!)

Old 06-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget about using your pmp (Zen or otherwise) in the car. Pick up a head unit that plays from SD. I gor a VR3 off of Ebay and I love it. It can play SD, USB or Aux. I used to use the AUX jack for playing music from my phone in another car but I gave it up immediately once I realized how convenient just having the large SD (up to 4MB) card in the dash all the time was.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=014

This one here has bluetooth as well, I have an older model that does not include that.

And by the way I don't have an iPhone, and never will.

Last edited by g-luv; 06-20-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by nox1s
Everyone in the world does! They're the best portable audio devices in the world. (IMO!)
Not really. Just excellent market penetration.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by g-luv
Forget about using your pmp (Zen or otherwise) in the car. Pick up a head unit that plays from SD. I gor a VR3 off of Ebay and I love it. It can play SD, USB or Aux. I used to use the AUX jack for playing music from my phone in another car but I gave it up immediately once I realized how convenient just having the large SD (up to 4MB) card in the dash all the time was.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=014

This one here has bluetooth as well, I have an older model that does not include that.

And by the way I don't have an iPhone, and never will.
True. And because of my concern regarding true USB compatibility, I made sure I also got a card reader. My Blaupunkt St. Louis should be here next week.