Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Any new silver faceplate head units available?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any new silver faceplate head units available?

Hi:
I'm considering changing out the stock radio in my 2004 Limited. After several minutes of CD operation my CD player looses the track it's playing and resolves to some very nasty static. The problem is intermittent but I'm just not that thrilled with the stock radio to begin with so a swap is in the offing. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any silver face plate radios now on the market that would make a good replacement option. I've read through a lot of the older threads and the Blaupunkt MP56 seemed like a good option but they are discontinued. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gass

Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Any new silver faceplate head units available?

Not sure what your needs are, but if you want a unit that is compatable with an iPod, here is an option you may want to consider IDA-X100M. This is a marine unit, but will work perfectly in the Crossfire. It is much like the IDA-X305 which is a car unit, but black. I do not remember now who they are, but there are several people on this forum that have installed the IDA-X100M and love it. I believe Patpur has this model.

I have read that the trim ring on this unit is like a metallic white. It is supposed to blend in well with the dash. If you want a closer match, you can paint the trim ring with duplicolor charcoal gray. The body of the HU is supposed to be an exact match to the Crossfire trim color.

The cheapest price I can find on it right now is on eBay at Alpine IDA-X100M Marine Digital Media Receiver NEW - eBay (item 220521804933 end time Feb-03-10 01:23:19 PST) for $243.75. Dang.... now I am wanting to buy it. Ok, stop Bob..... think performance mods. LOL

Search on IDA-X100M, and you will find 6 threads that talk about this unit. I hope this helps.

I personally have the Alpine IVA-505 in my 05 Odyssey, and love it. When I replace the HU in the crossfire, I will most definitely be looking for an Alpine. Here is my HU:

Last edited by bmorgan; 01-31-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 AM

Mike, I checked out your MySpace, and I like your music. We are the same age, so we both had the same musical influences in the 70s and 80s. It is always interesting to see the diversity of talent that we have amongst our members.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Hey thanks for the suggestion and the comments on my MySpace page. The radio you suggest looks very nice and I think would look very close to factory. I was reading an old post about the factory amp being 4 channel and I'd like to see if this unit could be wired in the same way to allow separate adjustment of the rear subs. Could be cool.

The tunes on my website are all rough drafts of music I've written over the last 5 years or so. There will be some new stuff posted soon. The band I'm working with is starting to sound pretty good and is adding some cool influences to my original music. Check back every now and then and who knows, you might find something new here and there.

Thanks,
Gass

Old 02-02-2010, 06:43 PM

CHECK OUT AMAZON .COM AUDIO I SAW A COUPLE OF HEAD UNITS MADE BY A COMPANY CALL DAUL.THEY SAY FOR MARINES BUT THEY WILL FIT IN YOUR CAR.ONE WAS SILVER AND LIGHTS UP GREEN TO MATCH OUR CARS.THE PRICE WAS $149.00 I HOPE THIS PUTS YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GassGhost
Hey thanks for the suggestion and the comments on my MySpace page. The radio you suggest looks very nice and I think would look very close to factory. I was reading an old post about the factory amp being 4 channel and I'd like to see if this unit could be wired in the same way to allow separate adjustment of the rear subs. Could be cool.

The tunes on my website are all rough drafts of music I've written over the last 5 years or so. There will be some new stuff posted soon. The band I'm working with is starting to sound pretty good and is adding some cool influences to my original music. Check back every now and then and who knows, you might find something new here and there.

Thanks,
Gass
I'm with Bob on the myspace site very nice , i'm a old Musician myself
if you get a chance check out my page and add me as a freind at GRUVMATICS i'll add you to mine. My page is in the transition so excuse the lack of info but it will be updated soon ,nice to see members with like hobbies other than these awsome cars
Howard.

Last edited by hcarter; 02-03-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought for you. I had this issue a couple summers ago. Wanted the trim ring to match and never thought of painting it. Some other have done it on this forum and it looks fine. I ended up doing a carbon fiber dash to make my new radio.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by hcarter
I'm with Bob on the myspace site very nice , i'm a old Musician myself
if you get a chance check out my page and add me as a freind at GRUVMATICS i'll add you to mine. My page is in the transition so excuse the lack of info but it will be updated soon ,nice to see members with like hobbies other than these awsome cars
Howard.
Well, ya learn something new every day. Thats pretty cool Howard. Shoot me a pm when you get the site updated, I would like to check it out when it is done.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 PM

ill throw my .02 in, i have this unit
Clarion DXZ558RMP CD/MP3/WMA receiver&remote control - eBay (item 280379560193 end time Feb-26-10 03:52:56 PST)

its not that expensive, and i found the right connector for the ipod on ebay. There are pics of it in my gallery

Best part.....no wire harness, easy swap out and everything works, just get an antenna adapter, sounds good too

Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by chambs
Clarion DXZ558RMP CD/MP3/WMA receiver&remote control - eBay (item 280379560193 end time Feb-26-10 03:52:56 PST)

its not that expensive, and i found the right connector for the ipod on ebay. There are pics of it in my gallery

Best part.....no wire harness, easy swap out and everything works, just get an antenna adapter, sounds good too
That's a nice unit can you change the led color or does it stay red ?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 AM

Nevermind I see in your gallery my bad Looking good.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 PM

yeah i really like it, its good enough for me and one other person to look at, and it gets the job done, sometimes i put it red, sometimes green, only take a push of a button, only thing that sucks was the guy i bought it from sold it to me for 50, now its 90. also, its a 2005 model. other than that it looks sharp, so im happy

Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 PM

HI:
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I may be interested in either of the 2 units offered. I need to do a little more homework. Keep those cards and letters coming.

Thanks,
Gass

Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Highly recommend the X100M here. Installed one last year right after I bought my Xfire, and just love it. Best HU I've ever used. Interface is just perfect for iPod. It also matches the car damn near perfectly.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Hey GassGhost, did you ever make a decision on a head unit? I just took the advice that I gave you, and purchased the IDA-X100M. I am looking forward to getting it installed.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 PM

You can do it yourself in 10 minutes. Don't bother paying some shop to do it. All you need is the Audi/VW Scosche adapter cables and the stereo remover tool. You can get both from WalMart.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 PM

I will be doing it myself. I purchased it used from a forum member. It already has the Scosche adapter cables. I am just waiting for it to arrive.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 PM

One note about the Scosche adapter cables:

If you want to use the X100M's crossover and subwoofer outs, you will need to bypass the adapter and run your own wires from the front and sub outs to the amplifier.

The stock head unit is two channel. A Y-connector splits the full range signal across both the door and subwoofer channels of the amplifier. That's why the doors rattle so much with deep bass (< 110 Hz).

Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by chambs

so this unit doesn't need any wiring harness?? All you do is unplug the the old unit and plug the original wiring harness into the back of this unit right?? I am looking for a silver face stereo, this has gotten my attention. With everybody talking 2 or 4 channel, do you have any issues with this hu?

and your ipod adapter, do you control the songs through the ipod/iphone or through the stereo?? and do you still by chance know that part number??

sorry for all the questions about this, I would like a new stereo to work with my iphone and I think i like this one. thanks for all the help!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM

i dont know if you got my message or not, yea, this will play your iphone, just not charge it. i know this because i have two ipods, an older nano and a 3rd gen touch, nano plays and charges, touch just plays. The adapter is the CeNET EA1251...can be used for a cd changer, bluetooth, ipod, etc. yes, very easy install, no harness needed, just an antenna adapter

Quick Reply: Any new silver faceplate head units available?