Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Stereos that MATCH the interior

Old 05-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereos that MATCH the interior

I couldn't find a thread which emphasizes on stereos that MATCH the interior. I don't know about others but for me, it is very important that the stereo does not look like a alien on the dash.

For that we'd need a silver face and green lighting. Any suggestions ?

UPDATE:

Please see https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...nit-index.html (Note most of the models are discontinued)

Last edited by engin; 05-17-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Stereos that MATCH the interior

Pioneer DEH-P9600MP is one. It is discontinued but I got one NOS on fleabay. Some display options allow it to simulate an analog radio (important for me). It also has AUX IN front and AUX OUT jacks, plays MP3 & WMA discs, superior EQ, XM adapter if I need it.

Another is the USA4-DIN from Classic Auto Sound. It was on my short list, too. Plays MP3 discs, has AUX IN front and back and AUX OUT, and is simpler to work than the OEM unit.

Here's an old thread about all the silver head units out there. Please note that most of the head units may not be available from major stores new any more...

If you look on Amazon or fleabay for marine head units ... surprise a lot of them are silver single DIN. Who'd have thunk it?!?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jesus_Christler
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP is one. It is discontinued but I got one NOS on fleabay. Some display options allow it to simulate an analog radio (important for me). It also has AUX IN front and AUX OUT jacks, plays MP3 & WMA discs, superior EQ, XM adapter if I need it.

Another is the USA4-DIN from Classic Auto Sound. It was on my short list, too. Plays MP3 discs, has AUX IN front and back and AUX OUT, and is simpler to work than the OEM unit.

Here's an old thread about all the silver head units out there. Please note that most of the head units may not be available from major stores new any more...

If you look on Amazon or fleabay for marine head units ... surprise a lot of them are silver single DIN. Who'd have thunk it?!?
Thank you very much for the prompt reply. That post indeed is very helpful and I have already found a possible solution that would match the face and illumination color! Clarion FB275BT Digital media receiver (pearl) at Crutchfield.com it supports many illumination colors, though discontinued as you have suggest.

Last edited by engin; 05-17-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engin
Thank you very much for the prompt reply. That post indeed is very helpful and I have already found a possible solution that would match the face and illumination color! Clarion FB275BT Digital media receiver (pearl) at Crutchfield.com it supports many illumination colors, though discontinued as you have suggest.
And the front of this hu is white, not silver.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 AM

The Clarion M502 Marine Digital Media Player is a good match for color and styling, but the illumination is not green. The text has a white back light and the control **** has cool blue illumination, like a lot of newer computers have. I've already attached a pic of this stereo in a reply to "How to install an afermarket stereo", and it looks like the forum won't let me attach it again to this reply. Please check there to see what it looks like, along with a description of the head unit.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by notkendoll
The Clarion M502 Marine Digital Media Player is a good match for color and styling, but the illumination is not green. The text has a white back light and the control **** has cool blue illumination, like a lot of newer computers have. I've already attached a pic of this stereo in a reply to "How to install an afermarket stereo", and it looks like the forum won't let me attach it again to this reply. Please check there to see what it looks like, along with a description of the head unit.
Change the name of the pic and you can post it again.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a link to notkendoll's post:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...1-post110.html

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM

I did a lot of searching for a silver head-unit to match the Crossfire's interior, too. But I finally wound up just buying a black single DIN stereo instead, because it had all the features I wanted at a good price.

The problem I've seen is with currently produced models, you have to go with a marine unit to get a silver face, and then you have to rule out the possibility of integrated GPS (since a boat isn't concerned with traveling on roads).

And yeah, if you're picky about matching the backlighting too? You're in for a real search, since most of the marine radios use a blue or a red backlight -- not green.

I think, perhaps, some of us are getting too obsessed with matching the silver though? I used to own an Acura RSX with a silver center stack and the factory radio in it was black. If the Crossfire had done the same, I doubt anyone would really have found it odd.... What I think might help the most is if you painted the plastic trim ring that goes around most single DIN stereos. That's always going to come as black plastic, but there's no reason you couldn't paint it silver to match the center stack -- so it would make the black radio look a little more "integrated" into the dash.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 AM

Actually that Clarion M502 is pretty cool. If you take a close look, It has a subtle rib or spine running down the center,(behind the central ****) exactly like the one that bisects our cars! (this is noted in notkendoll's post too, but it is a neat touch.))

Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Oh, I agree. I found the M502 while searching the silver-face stereos and recommended it to someone else on the forums, a week or so ago.

So far, I think it may be the single best option for a Crossfire if you want the silver face and don't care about integrated GPS.

Originally Posted by FriendlyFire
Actually that Clarion M502 is pretty cool. If you take a close look, It has a subtle rib or spine running down the center,(behind the central ****) exactly like the one that bisects our cars! (this is noted in notkendoll's post too, but it is a neat touch.))

Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 PM

Hmm, I had never considered the need for an integrated GPS, but your post does have me thinking... The M502 is designed to integrate with modern smart phones, and Clarion even touts its abilities to play and manage Pandora apps. I wonder if I was using a smart phone for navigation, and had it synched with blue tooth, would the nav instructions play through the car's audio?

I don't have a smart phone, or the expensive data plan that usually comes with one. Perhaps I can borrow one to test this feature. If I do, I'll be sure to post the results.

Just FYI, this unit does easily integrate with Sirius/XM with an add on that costs about $20, which I condiser a price that is more than fair. I decided not to choose this option because of the monthly service fees.

Regrading the color matching... I'm sure it's just a personal preference. For me, maintaining the overall styling theme of the car was a high priority.

For those who are willing to compromise in this area, there are so many options for black head units that it almost does not merit discussion on a forum specific to the Crossfire.

I'm sure that most people who are reading this thread are truly interested in Stereos that MATCH the interior. I mean, after all, it is the title of the thread.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 PM

I'm with you guys, the more I look at the Clarion M502 the more I like it. The spine placement is bang-on perfect. And the clean look (practically button-less) is a plus to me.

Great find, guys!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:36 AM

Occasionally when it is below freezing outside and the car is cold, the stock HU won't come on. It is a minor annoyance, but had me somewhat thinking of replacing it. Not too seriously, I don't have an Ipod or MP3 player, so other than the bluetooth option I had no real need for a new radio.....
Then, Sirius/XM announced the new Pink Floyd Channel....
Damm, I think I need this now.

and I agree with JHM2K. This may even look better than the stock unit IMO. ( I can live with the display being non-green.)

Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Yeah, if you get the chance to try that out - let us know how it turns out.

I may be in the minority, but I've found that even though I *do* have a new iPhone 4s with an unlimited data plan (my job pays for it), I don't care at all for using GPS software on the phone, instead of something built into the car stereo. In fact, I'd rather use a stand-alone Garmin or other similar unit.

Why? Because for starters, GPS navigation is a big drain on cellphone batteries. My phone battery has enough trouble staying charged up all day, and I don't always want to mess with a cigarette lighter charger plugged into it. But just as importantly, most smartphones seem to have issues with the GPS tracking when a call comes in. If I take a call via bluetooth while it's navigating, it stops telling me where my next turns are until I'm done with the call. Lastly, I really like seeing some visual map info on a display, instead of just hearing it talking through my stereo speakers. You can always put a smartphone on a suction cup type holder on your windshield so you can see the maps, but the screens are usually small and it's just extra hassle.

Hmm, I had never considered the need for an integrated GPS, but your post does have me thinking... The M502 is designed to integrate with modern smart phones, and Clarion even touts its abilities to play and manage Pandora apps. I wonder if I was using a smart phone for navigation, and had it synched with blue tooth, would the nav instructions play through the car's audio?

I don't have a smart phone, or the expensive data plan that usually comes with one. Perhaps I can borrow one to test this feature. If I do, I'll be sure to post the results.

Just FYI, this unit does easily integrate with Sirius/XM with an add on that costs about $20, which I condiser a price that is more than fair. I decided not to choose this option because of the monthly service fees.

Regrading the color matching... I'm sure it's just a personal preference. For me, maintaining the overall styling theme of the car was a high priority.

For those who are willing to compromise in this area, there are so many options for black head units that it almost does not merit discussion on a forum specific to the Crossfire.

I'm sure that most people who are reading this thread are truly interested in Stereos that MATCH the interior. I mean, after all, it is the title of the thread.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I'm with you guys, the more I look at the Clarion M502 the more I like it. The spine placement is bang-on perfect. And the clean look (practically button-less) is a plus to me.

Great find, guys!
I realize this thread is a few months old, but has anyone installed one of these yet? Pic,'s? I'm considering this unit. It is a tuner(am/fm)also, right? Is it plug and play? Sorry for the lame questions, but I'm not the best at wiring and have trouble keeping up w/ the new electronics now available; might have to have a stereo tech do it. I guess the plugin for my Wifes I-pod adaptor comes from the back, and stores in the little cargo net; or also get some type of mounting device?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
I realize this thread is a few months old, but has anyone installed one of these yet? Pic,'s? I'm considering this unit. It is a tuner(am/fm)also, right? Is it plug and play? Sorry for the lame questions, but I'm not the best at wiring and have trouble keeping up w/ the new electronics now available; might have to have a stereo tech do it. I guess the plugin for my Wifes I-pod adaptor comes from the back, and stores in the little cargo net; or also get some type of mounting device?
From my post on 6/27...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...arion-m502.jpg

Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Whoops, I guess I missed that. Thank you John. Now if we could only get that blue light to be green, it would be a home run, IMO.