Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

What Audio system are you running?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Audio system are you running?

I must say..after joining and readying through the forums how to hook things up. I feel pretty well going into this and putting my new system in. Wiring seems kinda like that in a Jeep liberty though the front right speaker had a amp that powered the right side and same with the left. Any who I'll be running a JL Audio HD900/5 and hoping I could put the amp right in place where the factory one is. Then hooking up a JL W7 8inch for my deep great sounding bass. My front speakers I am still not sure what to do with them yet. Debating on Focal, Audison, Hertz, Rainbow...possibly CDT...I love my music and hopefully i'll get back into the sound quality competitions. But for now I will stay with the Infinity front speakers since they still sound good.

Pictures will come in the next few weeks and i'll even post links that help me through putting my system in.

EDIT:Oh going to be running a Kenwood Headunit that I already have so I can hook up my Ipod. Plus my factory stereo doesn't want to play CD's...

EDIT: #2 also staying with the factory 6.5 subs and changing the hz on them so they will do either 80-125 or 100-125 so my sub will do the rest under and the doors up from there.
Audiophile

Last edited by Livinloud; 03-06-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What Audio system are you running?

IMO there is not adequate cooling in the compartment for the OEM amp, especially something that wattage.

Good luck with the system, I prefer focal personally, best sounding three way setup I ever experienced was in my old E36 BMW...

Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 PM

I think the JL HD900/5 won't produce that much heat and as well draws 60% less power than Amp's it's size.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Livinloud
I think the JL HD900/5 won't produce that much heat and as well draws 60% less power than Amp's it's size.
Think what you will, it is an amp, they all get hot and there is very little room and absolutely no ventilation. I am just trying to give you a friendly warning, thats all.

Good luck with the system, I am sure it will sound great...

Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 402 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Think what you will, it is an amp, they all get hot and there is very little room and absolutely no ventilation.
I thought there was an air hose that went up to the relay box under the hood with a cooling fan blowing air through that area all the time?

Page 8E-56 & 57 show the location of the Control Module Box (large one next to battery), item 4 in the drawing shows the fan BUT it doesn't show where the ban blows to

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 03-07-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Found the cooling fan location!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM

I may be wrong, GG, but if there is ventilation in there, it is not much because I have opened mine up after running for a while and it is not exactly cool in there...

Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I thought there was an air hose that went up to the relay box under the hood with a cooling fan blowing air through that area all the time?

Page 8E-56 & 57 show the location of the Control Module Box (large one next to battery), item 4 in the drawing shows the fan BUT it doesn't show where the ban blows to
There is.. Noticed it when I wired in my bass cannon - and I'd have to say between engineers who designed it and amps that have been running for years it would have to be a quite adequate system.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
There is.. Noticed it when I wired in my bass cannon - and I'd have to say between engineers who designed it and amps that have been running for years it would have to be a quite adequate system.
Quite adequate like the intakes we all swap out for significant, measured gains, or quite adequate like the cup holder

It was designed for an amp with an approximate output of 200 watts RMS give or take, put a TRUE 800-1000W amp in there, it gets LOTS more hot. Just like the rear end in the SRT is stout, but when you add power it was not designed for, it eventaully fails...

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Think what you will, it is an amp, they all get hot and there is very little room and absolutely no ventilation. I am just trying to give you a friendly warning, thats all.
Guess you should listen to him since he seems to know all about the audio system.. Good luck with the install

Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Guess you should listen to him since he seems to know all about the audio system.. Good luck with the install
I was an MECP certified individual and installed (professionally) stereos for several years, you will excuse me if your experience or knowledge trumps mine.

All I am trying to do is warn a member that he is going to want to avoid that area for an amp nearly 5x the power, unless he adequately tests the temperature while running in this space. When I did my multip amp system in the XF, I dit not consider this area because of these concerns.

To tell someone, 'well the engineer made it work for 200W (and it still doesn't stay very cool) but I am sure 900W will be fine' is irresponsible IMHO

Done trying to help.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 AM

I was an MECP certified individual and installed (professionally) stereos for several years, you will excuse me if your experience or knowledge trumps mine.

All I am trying to do is warn a member that he is going to want to avoid that area for an amp nearly 5x the power, unless he adequately tests the temperature while running in this space. When I did my multip amp system in the XF, I dit not consider this area because of these concerns.

To tell someone, 'well the engineer made it work for 200W (and it still doesn't stay very cool) but I am sure 900W will be fine' is irresponsible IMHO

Done trying to help.
I guess it must in some areas.. I KNEW THERE WAS A COOLING HOSE..

Now carry on with how wonderful your knowledge base is.. by all means.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Just one more thought... 8 years later hasn't seen any improvements on amps and temperatures I'm sure..

Just because the first computer needed a 30 x 30 room doesn't mean build to that spec now does it..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 03-09-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Kenwood X796 to the stock Amp {WEAK} MTX 8302 powering a 10" Polk. Livin please show pics and let us all know if it works out mounting in the factory location. Goodluck

Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

-clarion deck
-2 clarion door speakers with tweets
-kept the factory door tweets, rear subs and amp
-2 kickpannels with clarion speakers with tweets installed
-2 10"clarion subs (1000w each)
-2 clarion amps (1550w mono - 650w 2ch)

I need to add pics to my gallery... I have been slacking in the picture depatment this year

Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Well I ran into a problem. I putting my amp in the back with the sub. But I have no clue where to run the power wire through? I found the main harness and it's blocked by heat shields and I don't want to mess with it. Where did you all run your power through?

One the other hand I got my headunit in and looks pretty good being all black and shiny.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Just one more thought... 8 years later hasn't seen any improvements on amps and temperatures I'm sure..

Just because the first computer needed a 30 x 30 room doesn't mean build to that spec now does it..
As far as I know the JL HD900/5 uses less power (60%) which in theory shouldn't run as hot as a 900/5 would but I am sure it does get hotter than the factory amp.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Livinloud
Well I ran into a problem. I putting my amp in the back with the sub. But I have no clue where to run the power wire through? I found the main harness and it's blocked by heat shields and I don't want to mess with it. Where did you all run your power through?

One the other hand I got my headunit in and looks pretty good being all black and shiny.
"Guessing" you are wanting a direct to battery hookup, If you pull the battery and tray you will find a rubber grommet with several openings in it to feed the power wire. Comes out down by the OEM amp, pull the door sills and run under the carpet and feed into the rear fender well area. There is already and array of wires there and mine just kinda snaked in with the rest.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-05-base.html

Video here should help a lot..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 03-10-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head Unit: Kenwood KIV-701
Sub Amp: AudioQue AQ750D
Speaker Amp: Blaupunkt VA2100
Subwoofer: Sound Solutions Audio Icon 10" D2
Speakers: JBL P660C Components
Wiring: Knukonceptz 4 Gauge Kolossus Fleks Amp Kit(w/ Streetwires ZN5 RCA's)
Stinger Roadkill Sound Deadener and CC Foam to stop rattles in trunk and doors

I will be installing the tweeters in the stock location (with minor modification), wont be using speakers behind seats. Install should be wrapping up this weekend, I'll update on how it sounds.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM

Plenty of cooling in the stock amp location. I have been running 2 jl audio amps mounted to the stock brcker for around 3 months with 0 problems.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Choppy
Plenty of cooling in the stock amp location. I have been running 2 jl audio amps mounted to the stock brcker for around 3 months with 0 problems.
Had a feeling 8 years of advanced technology would make a difference.. How many watts each are you pulling with them?
Just for a future reference.

Quick Reply: What Audio system are you running?