Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Replacing factory head unit.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Replacing factory head unit.

Like I say.. if it's got all the features your looking for.. go for it.. you'll just need to pick up the Scosche wiring adapter and European antenna adapter.. and don't forget the little slider tools to pull the OEM out. (walmart) A search will pull up the numbers on the other mentioned parts.. and you can ebay them..cheaper than best buy..

Old 01-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I can get the adapters for literally a few bucks, so those aren't the problem at all. I just have no idea about installing these things lol

Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Make sure that the yellow/red power leads are correct. The Crossfire swaps the switched/constant 12 VDC.

Oh, BTW- I almost bought that unit but went with the Pioneer DMR. Just used to way they do things, I suppose.

Amazon.com: Pioneer MVH-X560BT In Dash Single Din Digital Media Receiver with Built In Bluetooth for Handsfree Calling and Audio Streaming and MIXTRAX MVHX560BT: Car Electronics
r things and it's pretty cold in my garage. Soon...soon...And adding a Kenwood amp for the subs.
So hook the red from the after market unit harness to the yellow on the schoche wiring adapter harness and the yellow from the aftermarket unit harness to the red on the schoche wiring adapter correct?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Forum Regular

Miata, I'm going towards getting the Clarion M502 looks like. I think it fits the car dash a lot better, and the only downside I can see with it is the lack of color chancing ability for the LEDs in it. Other than that, I've seen others here use it and love it for audio quality and functions. Yay nay?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM

The good = unique look.. like our cars

The Bad (in my thoughts) = rear access usb.. add and mount an extension for access

4 channel RCA output = depends on the big picture - adding remote amp and sub? 6 channel with dedicated bass control would be better

As I've said before.. if you look at the dash you have black vents - black dials - black shift indicator (automagics)... I can live with black just fine with the features that I wanted in a stereo.

There you go! My thoughts.. LOL.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
The good = unique look.. like our cars

The Bad (in my thoughts) = rear access usb.. add and mount an extension for access

4 channel RCA output = depends on the big picture - adding remote amp and sub? 6 channel with dedicated bass control would be better

As I've said before.. if you look at the dash you have black vents - black dials - black shift indicator (automagics)... I can live with black just fine with the features that I wanted in a stereo.

There you go! My thoughts.. LOL.

Hahaha, I always appreciate your thoughts, because you're along the same lines as me process wise.

The harder I think about it having a rear USB access the more I shy away from clicking buy now lol.
Thanks man, now you made me reconsider hahah

Old 01-29-2014, 08:07 PM

If you really like the stereo.. members have wired a usb into the glove box.. or if your intent is a thumb drive loaded up.. plug it in and set the stereo in place. Just some options.

My wife LOVES her Kenwood KDC-HD455U in her Crossfire.. she leaves it in "rainbow" mode (color changing). We put this one in the Vette when it WAS her's.. then she got the roadster and we bought another one (Your Welcome Pizzaguy).. LOL. If I had to do it over again for mine.. I would really consider one like this with blue tooth.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Forum Regular

What say yee about this one friend?
Amazon.com: Kenwood KMR555U Marine CD Receiver: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Kenwood KMR555U Marine CD Receiver: Car Electronics

Seems like a win win?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 PM

I'd say that one would work out fine.. Especially with the 6 RCA outputs. Just a fan of that myself since I have an amplified canon sitting in back.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular

I'm in idiot, I should have looked better before I posted it. This little guy has no bluetooth built it sadly :|
Well, there goes that idea sigh

EDIT:
Amazon.com: Clarion FZ502 Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth (HD Radio and SiriusXM Ready): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Clarion FZ502 Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth (HD Radio and SiriusXM Ready): Car Electronics

Soooo, same as the m502 but black WITH front USB!

Last edited by Adrian_X; 01-29-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:41 PM

LOL.. calm down and take your time... I noted that it didn't have blue tooth.. but wasn't positive that was "required" by you. I had scoured through marine units back when.. and never found one that completed my needs.. and left me gas money.. LOL

Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Forum Regular

I feel like a damn schoolgirl shopping for new headunits for the car hahahah, sorry guys.
And yeah, some of these things cost more than swapping in a turbo kit for christs sake(exageration, i know).

Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
I feel like a damn schoolgirl shopping for new headunits for the car hahahah, sorry guys.
And yeah, some of these things cost more than swapping in a turbo kit for christs sake(exageration, i know).
I think I spent two weeks or more looking at units before I decided on this one.. Ebay factory refurb for under $100.. I've never had any experience with the Boss or Dual brands.. but the ones with flip out screens and navigation "did" start catching my eye lately.. Did = TomTom for Christmas.. LOL. We've added Crossfire events and travel to the agenda lately...

Clarion CZ501 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Forum Regular

I think I spent two weeks or more looking at units before I decided on this one.. Ebay factory refurb for under $100.. I've never had any experience with the Boss or Dual brands.. but the ones with flip out screens and navigation "did" start catching my eye lately.. Did = TomTom for Christmas.. LOL. We've added Crossfire events and travel to the agenda lately...

Clarion CZ501 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

One of these days when you are able to, head to chicago so we can cruise around and turn some heads!
Btw, that clarion you just posted, I found more or less the new version of it but it's rear USB which I'm also trying to avoid. Kept looking and found this, which seems to me is a better buy and front USB.

Amazon.com: Clarion CZ302 Bluetooth CD/USB/MP3/WMA Receiver: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Clarion CZ302 Bluetooth CD/USB/MP3/WMA Receiver: Car Electronics

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
One of these days when you are able to, head to chicago so we can cruise around and turn some heads!
Btw, that clarion you just posted, I found more or less the new version of it but it's rear USB which I'm also trying to avoid. Kept looking and found this, which seems to me is a better buy and front USB.

Amazon.com: Clarion CZ302 Bluetooth CD/USB/MP3/WMA Receiver: Car Electronics
CAA#6 might end up taking us that way..

Would be good to meet up with you.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Forum Regular

CAA#6 might end up taking us that way..

Would be good to meet up with you.
I'd definitely drive to meet with everyone if you cross this area. I loved the last crossfire meetup, it was a fun time and everywhere we went we turned heads.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 PM

"If" your swinging towards black.. put an eye on this one..

Kenwood KDC-BT755HD CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Haven't researched for best price.. that's your ball park.. LOL

Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular

That looks really good, and built in bluetooth and usb on the front! At this point, seems to me that silver units are dead to the world in terms of finding one.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM

Unfortunately marine units are all that are out there in sliver.. and naturally protected from water as much as possible. Just wanted to send that one your way for a possible option in your search. When you think you've found "the one".. mull it over a day or two. Otherwise you could end up with a 92 vette as an extra.. LOL..

Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Forum Regular

I wouldn't mind a '92 vette as an extra actually, care to sell yours to me? LOL

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if the model in question is carried by bestbuy, I can get it discounted from my friend who is an installer there for car stuff. The clarion m502 is 150 instead of $200, which isnt a bad discount at all! He can also price match anything to amazon if they have it cheaper, which works even better in some cases lol

EDIT: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT95...4#overview-tab
So I found this model Kenwood, and it looks like a home run in all aspects. IT has everything, and the best part? It even has 4 volt preouts!! eh?

Last edited by Adrian_X; 01-29-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing factory head unit.