Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Lighter and Pass Airbag Light Connectors

Old 06-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighter and Pass Airbag Light Connectors

having unplugged and re plugged what seems to be gazzillions of auto and truck electrical connectors over my time, I'm feeling dumb here. I can't understand how to unplug the Lighter and Pass Airbag Light Connections.
Maybe I need better glasses but for now I could use some help.
Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1130770.JPG (2.03 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by bucketlisted; 06-03-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add photo
Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Lighter and Pass Airbag Light Connectors

Its not just you! The air bag light, I used a tiny flat screwdriver, looking from the back, on the right side, then an easy pull. After 30 mins. ,my wire cutters made the lighter a simple job. I brought it in an still can't figure it out. Butt connectors, crimp tool an its back together.(yes, it works...lol) I did figure out a short cut for replacing that damn ashtray, courtesy light. Remove the radio, reach in, an its a small squeeze connector. That was my day. Can't repair my ashtray, there is a small detente, for the catch, the side of the V had broke off.
Originally, I started out, putting the knockout for gear disengagement, back in place. Its spring loaded , before I knew it , the whole dash was in the floorboard..... . Well it was a pretty day!

Looking at your pic. airbag catch is on the left.

Last edited by Steve Jr; 06-03-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Its not just you! The air bag light, I used a tiny flat screwdriver, looking from the back, on the right side, then an easy pull. After 30 mins. ,my wire cutters made the lighter a simple job. I brought it in an still can't figure it out. Butt connectors, crimp tool an its back together.(yes, it works...lol) I did figure out a short cut for replacing that damn ashtray, courtesy light. Remove the radio, reach in, an its a small squeeze connector. That was my day. Can't repair my ashtray, there is a small detente, for the catch, the side of the V had broke off.
Originally, I started out, putting the knockout for gear disengagement, back in place. Its spring loaded , before I knew it , the whole dash was in the floorboard..... . Well it was a pretty day!

this simple issue is becoming a big one, i can't find the sweet spot on the airbag light
can you edit my photo and id it?
thanks

Old 06-04-2017, 01:46 PM

Sorry, I'm not able to do that. It doesn't show that connection in the manual , BUT in the 04manual I have found one that is identical. 8W-80-22 , the connection is used for the center high mounted stop light. Maybe one of these other tech savvy guys will jump in an give us a hand.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:12 PM

Sorry, I'm not able to do that. It doesn't show that connection in the manual , BUT in the 04manual I have found one that is identical. 8W-80-22 , the connection is used for the center high mounted stop light. Maybe one of these other tech savvy guys will jump in an give us a hand.
Steve,
I appreciate the link, it doesn't help me but like you said maybe one of these other tech savvy guys will jump in an give us a hand.

I don't remember MB connectors being so difficult, do you think they are Chrysler design?

Re your statement "Looking at your pic. airbag catch is on the left" are you talking about where I have indicated with the red arrow in the attached photo?

Thanks

Attached Images
Old 06-04-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bucketlisted
Steve,
I appreciate the link, it doesn't help me but like you said maybe one of these other tech savvy guys will jump in an give us a hand.

I don't remember MB connectors being so difficult, do you think they are Chrysler design?

Re your statement "Looking at your pic. airbag catch is on the left" are you talking about where I have indicated with the red arrow in the attached photo?

Thanks
Yes, that's it! There's a small stop(bump) right there. I don't know how you are supposed to squeeze that connector an get it to work.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you remove that connection!

Last edited by Steve Jr; 06-04-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:40 PM

"I used a tiny flat screwdriver, looking from the back, on the right side, then an easy pull"
I can't make anything happen, can you elaborate? i am real close to cutting them all, but that be surrender, hah.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by bucketlisted
"I used a tiny flat screwdriver, looking from the back, on the right side, then an easy pull"
I can't make anything happen, can you elaborate? i am real close to cutting them all, but that be surrender, hah.
What I've suggested, is as far as I can take you on that. But what might help is, if you look at the back of the trim ,that light is held in place by 4tabs. 2 on the top an 2 on the bottom an the light an the piece it's attached to, will separate from the rest. If you use a flat screwdriver, gently pry down on one of the tabs, then the other. I used the top ones. Then you can push it out gently, an separate that piece from the rest of the bezel. That my provide you a better look at the clip.

Last edited by Steve Jr; 06-04-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:05 PM

What I've suggested, is as far as I can take you on that. But what might help is, if you look at the back of the trim ,that light is held in place by 4tabs. 2 on the top an 2 on the bottom an the light an the piece it's attached to, will separate from the rest. If you use a flat screwdriver, gently pry down on one of the tabs, then the other. I used the top ones. Then you can push it out gently, an separate that piece from the rest of the bezel. That my provide you a better look at the clip.
I was able to find the release point on the backside but this cigarette lighter connection is a tough one for me.
I can see that it slides horizontally off off the socket and 180 just confirmed that with a photo, but I can 't find the release point(s)

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: png
airbag light connector.png (8.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png
airbag light connector2.png (8.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by bucketlisted; 06-05-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot photo
Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 PM

I cut mine, but I have looked at the PDF, Dave supplied in the other thread. Look at the top of connection, where the brown wire goes in. It looks like an E. There is another price that surrounds the E. It is a plastic piece that holds the wires in place. I had that unsnapped at one time. Put your small flat screwdriver, in between the E an the piece that goes along it on the sides. It forms a U shape that holds the wires in place. Had I seen this picture, I would have been more inclined to finish removing that covering , then sliding it backwards. You can clearly see 2 slides on each side, of the bottom.
Did you get the air bag light unplugged?

Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 PM

I cut mine, but I have looked at the PDF, Dave supplied in the other thread. Look at the top of connection, where the brown wire goes in. It looks like an E. There is another price that surrounds the E. It is a plastic piece that holds the wires in place. I had that unsnapped at one time. It forms a U shape that holds the wires in place. Had I seen this picture, I would have been more inclined to finish removing that covering , then sliding it backwards. You can clearly see 2 slides on each side, of the bottom.
Did you get the air bag light unplugged?
I had unsnapped that cover more than once but I couldn't see or feel any way to remove the connector, shhht.

I did get the air bag light out today but the "sweet spot" was in the back looking at my photo.

I believe 180 knows how to do this but he isn't saying, lol

I hate do it but I guess that I will join you in cutting the wires.

How did you get that lighter socket out ?

thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by bucketlisted; 06-06-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-25-2019, 12:31 AM

Push the black part towards the closest side