Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Radio replacement

Old 10-28-2022, 07:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Radio replacement

Hi,
I'm going to replace the radio in my Crossfire. The original is the one with GPS and four (or is it 6 ch ?) channel power amplifier. The original is functional and sounds okay, but has some pixel defects in the display. There is no problem with my speakers so I keep them for the moment. The new radio is 4 channel, 4x65 Watt. The reason to replace it is for the USB connector and MP3 media file play.

I have searched here but I don't find the answer I looking for. Questions:

My idea is to replace both the head unit and the power amplifier. Even if the new radio is a cheap one it must be better than the 17 year old original power amplifier, or ?

I can't find what impedance the sub woofer speakers have, they are double coils, but is it 2x2 Ohm, 2x4 Ohm or something else ?

When I look at the drawing schematic it looks a bit strange, they have connected the radio speakers power outlet, not the lineout to the power amplifier, any reason for that ?

In the drawing both the body control module and the controller antilock brake are connected to the power amplifier on pin 3B, I guess that's a signal to let the speed of the car control the volume, correct or ?

There are no + or - sign in the drawing at the speakers, I need to know that to get the speakers in correct phase. Anyone who knows ?

I include the drawing I found which I use when planning how to connect the new radio.

Sorry for all questions.

Lars

Last edited by Astrofriend; 10-28-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Radio replacement

Originally Posted by Astrofriend
Hi,
I'm going to replace the radio in my Crossfire. The original is the one with GPS and four (or is it 6 ch ?) channel power amplifier. The original is functional and sounds okay, but has some pixel defects in the display. There is no problem with my speakers so I keep them for the moment. The new radio is 4 channel, 4x65 Watt. The reason to replace it is for the USB connector and MP3 media file play.

I have searched here but I don't find the answer I looking for. Questions:
1.My idea is to replace both the head unit and the power amplifier. Even if the new radio is a cheap one it must be better than the 17 year old original power amplifier, or ?
2.I can't find what impedance the sub woofer speakers have, they are double coils, but is it 2x2 Ohm, 2x4 Ohm or something else ?
3.When I look at the drawing schematic it looks a bit strange, they have connected the radio speakers power outlet, not the lineout to the power amplifier, any reason for that ?
4. In the drawing both the body control module and the controller antilock brake are connected to the power amplifier on pin 3B, I guess that's a signal to let the speed of the car control the volume, correct or ?
5. There are no + or - sign in the drawing at the speakers, I need to know that to get the speakers in correct phase. Anyone who knows ?
I include the drawing I found which I use when planning how to connect the new radio.
The amp is four channels, the head is two channels - no idea why they did this, other than it's a small cabin so they didnt' see the need - but I disagree, my SE has a four channel JVC system in it and I'd never go back.
1. The OEM amp is not bad. Not telling you to not replace it, just that it's 'not bad'.
2. I believe they are dual coil, 4 ohm. (Given the age of the car and that you are replacing the amp, just go with single coil speakers that are compatible with the amp you are going to use.)
3. Noise. Using speaker lead outputs makes it a noise-resistant system (low Z, high voltage of the speaker leads beats high Z, low voltage of the line out), its an automotive environment after all - this is the one thing I agree with about their design. The mobile environment is NO PLACE for "line out" use, those who tell you different have not worked for JVCKenwood for years. I have. (I work now for EFJohnson Technologies, a subsidiary of JVCK.)
4. There is an auto volume in the Roadsters, not sure about the coupes. Roadsters have: Wheel speed sensor input on A1, Backup lamp input on A2 (Non-Navigation) or Reverse indication input on A2 (Navigation).
Not sure on Coupes and no, I cant remember why they feed backup light indication to a head that has no rear camera.
5. You are using the wrong diagram. See my next post.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-28-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Read this thread:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-buck-mod.html

Read this thread for a better diagram and you can even mod the amp for four channels if you wish:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-channels.html

Old 10-28-2022, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Thread moved to audio forum.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:39 PM

Hallo, I'm back,

I have read through the forums here about the Infinity radio and its booster, but don't find exactly what I want to know.

I investigated the original booster and its connection to the speakers. The connector where all speakers are connected to, at top of the photo. Has anyone found an adapter cable for it or only the connector itself, the male ?

I don't want to cut any of the original wires so it had been very convinient with a male connector that fit this cable (top).

One more question, the wire diagram I had at the beginning of this thread, is it correct how the speakers are connected ?

I have documented what I'm doing here:

2005 years Chrysler Crossfire: Investigate the booster installation

/Lars

Old 02-13-2023, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Astrofriend
Hallo, I'm back,
I have read through the forums here about the Infinity radio and its booster, but don't find exactly what I want to know.
I investigated the original booster and its connection to the speakers. The connector where all speakers are connected to, at top of the photo. Has anyone found an adapter cable for it or only the connector itself, the male ?
I don't want to cut any of the original wires so it had been very convinient with a male connector that fit this cable (top).
I am not clear on what you are trying to do. If you are putting in a new radio head and a new amplifier, you do not need or want an adapter. If you are going to upgrade to a better system, you can 'start over' with the wiring.
The factory system uses dual coil rear speakers, most amplifiers you buy today are designed for single-coil speakers, so the wiring will change. You will want to replace your rear speakers with single coil speakers.

One more question, the wire diagram I had at the beginning of this thread, is it correct how the speakers are connected ?
/Lars
THere are errors in the diagrams in the service manual. See post 7 in this thread for the corrections:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-channels.html

But again, it is best to start over. I would run new number 12 wires to the rear speakers (and I did, I have a new system in my car as well).

Old 02-14-2023, 06:45 AM

Hi,
The only thing that will be left is the speakers and they all are connected to the contact on the photo. I don't want to destroy any cables. Maybe someone in the future will reinstall the original radio. That was why I looking for an adapter. I must also know if the drawing where the amplifier connects to the speaker are correct.

Is this drawing correct ?

Later in the future for sure I will also replace the speakers, but not now. I coonect the dual coils in parallel or serial depended what impedans they have and what the new radio can handle. Not perfect but will work.

Thanks for all help

Lars

Old 02-15-2023, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Ok, you are welcome. But please do not give me too much credit, I think you are making a big mistake.