Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Right turn signal light stays on

Old 08-10-2023, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right turn signal light stays on

Hello, I have a 04 Crossfire that I recently bought. I have an issue where my right turn signal doesn't work but the signal light is always on even with my key not in the car. I'm unsure of what is causing the problem and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. I can add some pictures later today after I get off work, Thank you!

Old 08-10-2023, 06:29 AM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts
Default Re: Right turn signal light stays on

What do you mean "signal light"? Exactly what is always on?

Old 08-11-2023, 05:51 PM

Sorry for my late reply, the blinker light. The green one that blinks or is supposed to, It is stuck always on

Old 08-11-2023, 05:56 PM

It's this light, Sorry I should of taken this way sooner so it made more sense

Old 08-11-2023, 07:10 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I think that means a turn signal bulb on the right side is out. Just turn that turn signal on, get out of the car & walk around to see light is out.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hopple
Hello, I have a 04 Crossfire that I recently bought. I have an issue where my right turn signal doesn't work but the signal light is always on even with my key not in the car. I'm unsure of what is causing the problem and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. I can add some pictures later today after I get off work, Thank you!
I missed that before. That is not possible, but since it's happening, we must have CLEAR answers, none of us are standing next to your car, you are. THis calls for top level electronic troubleshooting, which cant be done with quick, incomplete answers. Give us your eyes so we know what we are working on, here is how to do that.

The turn signals, two green dash lights, and hazards are part of a complex, silly system. We must know what is happening in ALL of the scenarios below.

In answering 1, 2,3, and 4, tell us what BOTH green dash lights do as well as what the FOUR exterior turn signals are doing in each case and tell us how fast the lights flash when they do flash. (Normal speed, kinda SLOW or kinda FAST)

1] Hazards with key off.
2] Hazards key on.
3] Left turn with key on.
4] Right turn with key on.

5] Is there any scenario that makes that right green light not come on?
6] Has there been any work done on the car just before this started?
7] Is there an aftermarket security system, remote start or pushbutton start installed in the car?

I put numbers up so you can answer by number, this will make communication easier, the rate we are going here, this is not going to get fixed unless we all take this seriously.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-12-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:12 AM

1. Hazard Lights don't blink and just stay on
2. Hazard lights don't blink and just stay on as well
3. Left turn works normally
4. Right turn doesn't blink and stays green
5. No, The light never turns off
6. I am unaware of any work done to the car but the person I bought it from spray painted the wheels red.. so you know.
7. No there is no aftermarket security system, My key fob also doesn't work but I plan on buying a new one soon.
----------
Other - I looked and I had the rear right turn bulb out so I went and got a new one and it stays lit up the whole time as well but the front does not.
I can also take pictures / video of what is happening as well if that would help.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:13 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

My bet is your new bulb is not the correct type. Swap it out with the left signal bulb and see if it works.

Last edited by bluecoupe; 08-13-2023 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:23 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Could it possibly be the turn signal stem on the steering wheel is not disconnecting?

Old 08-13-2023, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
My bet is your new bulb is not the correct type. Swap it out with the left signal bulb and see if it works.
BETTER YET, take the damn bulb out and leave it out. What happens then? Try turn signals and hazards.

CLEARLY we have 12 volts on the right side at all times. That circumvents the hazards, as all six lights are tied as one during hazard operation.
The left signals work because, in turn signal mode, the left and right are separate.

There is power being fed to the right side at all times - so where is it coming from? Pull bulbs on the right until that green light goes out and you have found the culprit. If pulling both front and rear out do not turn the indicator on the dash off, it's in the wiring, probably in the Hazard switch.

Its making sense now.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Other - I looked and I had the rear right turn bulb out so I went and got a new one and it stays lit up the whole time as well but the front does not.
I can also take pictures / video of what is happening as well if that would help.
If you had said this in your first post we'd have moved a lot faster. You just told me that the entire right side is powered all the time, not just the dash light. Makes perfect sense now.
The right side is powered all the time. When you said it was "the light on the dash" you did NOT make it clear that the outside signals were also on (the one, anyway). This made it look like an instrument cluster issue.

But now that we know the rigth side is powered at all times, it all makes sense. When you select left, it works. When you turn on hazards, the power on the right circuit back-biases the flasher, because at that time, left and right are bridged.

Your job now is to find out what is powering the right side, and I'd bet the 'new bulb' has something to do with it. Yank that bulb out and see what you get. If the condition stays the same, we have more work to do, if yanking that bulb turns the light out and makes the four ways work, then its the bulb or socket.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-13-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Now that we know what is going on, I have edited my last response and removed one of my posts as it is irrelevant.

This thread is an example of why I wrote this diatribe, if those seeking help would just read it and understand, issues like this could be resolved much faster and easier:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tech-help.html

Old 08-13-2023, 02:57 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I followed this thread until I was totally confused, so l gave up.
One item that has power all the time is the emergency flasher module could this be the cause of the leakage into the circuit?
That’s my stab at it.

Old 08-13-2023, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I followed this thread until I was totally confused, so l gave up.
One item that has power all the time is the emergency flasher module could this be the cause of the leakage into the circuit?
That’s my stab at it.
No, I think no but that damn switch IS A MESS to understand. IF the lead from the switch to the right turn signal harness is somehow making contact to the battery feed input, then that can be it.

If he pulls both right turn signal bulbs from the front and rear and the light stays on, that is where I'd go tho.

You bring up a good point. It would not be the FLASHER but it can be the Hazard Switch.

Old 08-13-2023, 03:40 PM

Sorry I am new to working on my car, This is only my second car as I just had to get rid of my old one. I am really sorry that I wasn't better at communicating, I will try to take out all my bulbs today and I'll get back to everyone soon, I appreciate you helping my dumbass through this problem though haha

Old 08-13-2023, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Sorry I am new to working on my car, This is only my second car as I just had to get rid of my old one. I am really sorry that I wasn't better at communicating, I will try to take out all my bulbs today and I'll get back to everyone soon, I appreciate you helping my dumbass through this problem though haha
Look down in my signature at the link, click it and read it. Don't take it personally, the idea is to try to get people who don't have experience at trouble shooting electronic/electrical systems to understand what is required to diagnose complex (and even NOT complex) electronic systems.

Had you told us that MORE than just that "arrow" light was on, this would have gone a lot faster (not that we are done here). I still question if its a bulb, if the light stays on with the key OFF, then the only source of power is thru the Hazard switch or thru some, I guess, mod that the car has that you dont know it has.

Has to be that, unless (and this is getting way out there) a right turn signal wire is shorted to 12 volt battery feed somewhere, which I can't say is NOT the case. I've seen some weird stuff and I won't say ANYTHING is off the table. YOu just NEVER know......................................

Old 08-13-2023, 05:13 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
No, I think no but that damn switch IS A MESS to understand. IF the lead from the switch to the right turn signal harness is somehow making contact to the battery feed input, then that can be it.

If he pulls both right turn signal bulbs from the front and rear and the light stays on, that is where I'd go tho.

You bring up a good point. It would not be the FLASHER but it can be the Hazard Switch.
I am talking about the red emergency switch on the dashboard between the other switches.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I am talking about the red emergency switch on the dashboard between the other switches.
That is what I refer to as the "Hazard Switch". We are on the same page, Dave.
The flasher is in the BCM, I proved this some time ago, with an analog voltmeter.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-14-2023 at 10:31 AM.