Australia Serving Australia.

Changing The Intercooler Pump

Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing The Intercooler Pump

I have a Crossfire SRT6 and have been told by the dealer that the intercooler pump needs replacing. We have had the car from new 2007 and its only done 35k. We replaced the intercooler at a cost of $6K and they now want to charge me another $2k to change the intercooler pump. I feel ripped off and have checked on the internet to see what I can buy a pump for and it would appear that they are about $200 for a Johnson CM30 intercooler pump. Does anyone know if this is the correct pump and how difficult is it to replace it yourself? I really don't like to feel ripped off so any help would be greatly appreciated (pictures would be an absolute bonus!)

Cory

Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Changing The Intercooler Pump

Yes , the Johnson CM30 is the one most use for a replacement or you can use a ford lightning pump. Here's a how to replace it. It's not difficult to do.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by robby363
Yes , the Johnson CM30 is the one most use for a replacement or you can use a ford lightning pump. Here's a how to replace it. It's not difficult to do.
Wow! thanks, you've just saved me a heap of cash, next time your in Perth I'll buy you a beer! thanks again.

Cory

Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM

Next job is the brake pads which the dealer tells me will need replacing soon. Anyone know the best place to buy? This is my first experience of the Crossfire forum and it's great!

Last edited by chigg71; 10-17-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Double entry
Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by chigg71
Next job is the brake pads which the dealer tells me will need replacing soon. Anyone know the best place to buy? This is my first experience of the Crossfire forum and it's great!
Big recomendation for the Rotex Gold pads - say goodbye to the brake dust and they work well - do a search on the forums and import a set from the US - you won't be sorry

Alternatively the Akebono's are now available in Australia - contact details are:

Tel: 1300 544 371
Email: steve@akebonobrakes.com.au

Enjoy (and now I'm talking about Crossfires I'm regretting selling mine (not really but it brings back good memories))

Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM

I just changed the pump on my car and it works like new. It's amazing how much performance loss there is even while the pump is just starting to fail. I replaced it with the Johnson CM30P7-1 as recommended by, well, basically everything that I was able to come across! The information that you guys provided in the pdf was very useful, and channel lock pliars/vice grips make it super easy to get the spring hose clamps off.

Thanks for saving me about a grand!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Changing The Inhtercooler Pump

If you are into spirited driving, replace the brake fluid with high performance fluid, change out the rubber brake lines to metal, and choose a good ceramic pad. You will love the braking...

Old 04-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Question Re: Changing The Intercooler Pump

I just got an 05 srt6 roadster and it's got boatloads of power except when it feels otherwise. I read the thread or book where it spoke to the things that turn off the blower clutch and it doesn't seem to be related to those.

Mine runs fine most of the time but about 40% of the time it just bogs out and revs like a wimpy v6 that's being strangled and just can't rev. No pattern identified as yet but I've only driven it 100 miles thus far.

I plan on replacing that pump ASAP anyway but figured I'd bounce those question around and see if anybody has ideas.

Also any good items I should inspect or have serviced? It just turned 82k so I'll be doing the tranny soon.

Thanks

Dave

Old 04-05-2016, 07:19 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Davetfft
I just got an 05 srt6 roadster and it's got boatloads of power except when it feels otherwise. I read the thread or book where it spoke to the things that turn off the blower clutch and it doesn't seem to be related to those.

Mine runs fine most of the time but about 40% of the time it just bogs out and revs like a wimpy v6 that's being strangled and just can't rev. No pattern identified as yet but I've only driven it 100 miles thus far.

I plan on replacing that pump ASAP anyway but figured I'd bounce those question around and see if anybody has ideas.

Also any good items I should inspect or have serviced? It just turned 82k so I'll be doing the tranny soon.

Thanks

Dave
1. new intercooler pump.
2. flush brake fluid ( your choice, but get good stuff, I used Red Line )
Also you might want to look at SS brake lines from Rob at needswings.com.
3. flush PS fluid ( Pentosin CHF -
Amazon.com: Pentosin CHF 11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid - 1 Liter: Automotive Amazon.com: Pentosin CHF 11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid - 1 Liter: Automotive
)
4. new oil & filter ( Mobil1 0-40 and Mann fleece filter )
5. flush cooling system ( new 50/50 distilled water and Zerex G05 )
6. replace the transmission connector when you do the tranny.
7. new serpentine belt, check all the idlers and tension pulleys when you have the belt off.
8. change the top pump fluid ( suck it out, put in new, no bleeding - Pentosin CHF)
9. at 87K, you might want to do new spark plugs and plug wires ( needswings.com )

There's probably more I haven't thought of, but it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-05-2016 at 07:22 AM.