Australia Serving Australia.

reversing light

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile reversing light

For the ones who have a problem with the r/hand rear reversing light not working. Mine has not worked since I have owned the car. I bought a cd service manual, It has taken some time to get my head around it , I find it rather different than other manuals . It gives wiring diags for the reversing lights and what to check and how to check , but its only 1/2 the complete circuit, I searched for more and found a full circuit from the fuse to the light.. I also had a problem with "what is the illumination module" AH its the fuse board behind a panel at the drivers end of the dashboard. What a funny name to call a fuse board, but no its more than a fuse panel, its a distribution board as well, there is more , its also the light switch, it could even be more but I think that's enough for now. The diagrams give the terminal numbers and colours of the wires. But no this is for the left hand drive cars, the rhd cars have different coloured wires, different fuse number, the illumination control module harness connector can be found now that we all know where the illumination control module is located, It connector " A" that we need, logics told me it the first of the largest ones Well I found the problem. The circuit comes from fuse 12 thru the "A "harness down to the reverse switch on the gear box back to "A" from here it "in the module" distributes to the terminals no2 and no20, then they go , one to the left the other to the right reversing light, Not wanting to pull the Prince of darkness apart possibly causing more trouble than I am worth I joined and soldered the two wires together, and hey presto both the reversing lights now work Cheers Saltiga

Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: reversing light

But, haven't you...gasp!...lost your rear Fog Lamp function?

How will the world deal with this?

BTW-good investigative work, sir. Kudos.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Angry Re: reversing light

It may have, this function was not working when I tried the fog lights, Could you enlighten me, When in reverse is there only one light on that is the clear light, or is the red fog light on also?? When the fog lights are on only the rear red light is on in conjunction with the normal tail lights. If this were the case only the clear rear light on when in reverse, then the problem is actually with the fog light not the reverse light?? thanks for the input saltiga

Old 05-19-2015, 10:55 AM

I have searched my cd manual and there is no mention of a rear fog light, there is of the 2 front fog lights. The owners manual is very vague on what actually happens. I find it odd , if its not mentioned then why have a red reversing lamp?? can anyone give me a clue here? Saltiga

Old 05-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Forum Regular

The red "reversing" lamp is not a reversing lamp. It is more of a parking light. You pull the light switch out 2 clicks instead of one and it is supposed to illuminate. It is not required on US models.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Travish
The red "reversing" lamp is not a reversing lamp. It is more of a parking light. You pull the light switch out 2 clicks instead of one and it is supposed to illuminate. It is not required on US models.
Jeez, and I thought that that was for a Euro required red rear fog light. Never too old to learn.
James1549 has it all wrong, not.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular

?

Space filler

Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Thumbs up Re: reversing light

Travish--You are a gem. I quote from my owners manual. "To operate the fog lights, pull the headlight switch out one stop, with the parking lights and/or low beam headlights on." then it goes on to indication of the panel illumination and cancelling. Why did I not know there is another pull out position. Well lo and behold if its pulled out twice on comes the bright inner drivers side red light, and in my case now the reversing light as well. this I will remedy by putting it all back as it initially was. Do I feel like a mug , heavens no a drip would do. There is not a thing wrong with the car, it only has one reversing light, the rear fog light has the ability to be selected if required as is the front fogs. By the way its an offence in South Oz to drive in built up areas with the fog lamps on. Just as silly as having only one reversing light.. Thanks to all for the input very impressed Saltiga

Old 05-19-2015, 07:41 PM

I tried, sir. I'm not sure if I was correct or not!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 PM

The rear red fog light has been discussed a thousand times here, well once or twice anyway.
It is not a parking light. As I stated above it is a Euro requirement,Oz too by the look of it.

It is amazing what you can read in the Owners Manuals. LOL

Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The rear red fog light has been discussed a thousand times here, well once or twice anyway.
It is not a parking light. As I stated above it is a Euro requirement,Oz too by the look of it.

It is amazing what you can read in the Owners Manuals. LOL
Are you talkin' to me? I knew that.

I think I did, anyhow...

Now...where did I put that bottle of ...

Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Are you talkin' to me? I knew that.

I think I did, anyhow...

Now...where did I put that bottle of ...
I was talking to Travish and saltiga, you knew as you have been here a while.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 PM

Just yankin' (get it? "Yank" LOL!) your chain, sir.

I'm going on 12 hours here and I'm a bit punchy...