Canada Serving Canada.

Affordable Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Affordable Steering Stabilizer

Here is a link to a Steering Stabilizer at a very good price. If you are in the market (I just ordered one) visit:
Steering Dampner Mercedes Benz SLK Chrysler Crossfire - JoeTLC

After talking to both Dave and Roy at our Halton Hills meet, I was convinced it was time to replace mine which appears to be wet and on its way out. The Crossfire goes into the shop tomorrow for the replacement including the first replacement of brake pads including parking brake shoes/adjustment. I'm also asking for a complete brake fluid replacement. I'm also having the coolant flushed and replaced as well as a new battery installed. This is all in the spirit of preventative maintenance. My '05 Crossfire just turned 60K and the brake pads are starting to show little life left in them, however they are not squeaking yet! Rotors are fine and don't need replacing. I thought it was prudent to replace the battery as it is now going on five years old. I don't like surprises as batteries are known to just fail without notice. Coolant flushes I have done with all my cars owned over the years and believe the benefits far out-way the cost.

Hope to see you all when we meet again.....!

Tony G

Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Affordable Steering Stabilizer

tony,what is the model # that you ordered? i may be interested in getting one also. thanks in advance. oh yea, when are you guys going to organize a gtg over in eastern toronto? if not this year ... maybe next. prince edward county would be nice in the spring. gryfan

Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

Hey Gryfan;
The link provides the exact part needed for the Crossfire including part number. Shipment is by UPS. Total cost on my credit card was $41.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is who I bought mine from. The old one was covered in oil and dirt and completely shot.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hummm.. maybe I should have a peek at what shape mine is in. I hope it is in better shape than my cabin filter.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Cool Re: Affordable Steering Stabilizer

Originally Posted by tonygg
Here is a link to a Steering Stabilizer at a very good price. If you are in the market (I just ordered one) visit:

After talking to both Dave and Roy at our Halton Hills meet, I was convinced it was time to replace mine which appears to be wet and on its way out. The Crossfire goes into the shop tomorrow for the replacement including the first replacement of brake pads including parking brake shoes/adjustment. I'm also asking for a complete brake fluid replacement. I'm also having the coolant flushed and replaced as well as a new battery installed. This is all in the spirit of preventative maintenance. My '05 Crossfire just turned 60K and the brake pads are starting to show little life left in them, however they are not squeaking yet! Rotors are fine and don't need replacing. I thought it was prudent to replace the battery as it is now going on five years old. I don't like surprises as batteries are known to just fail without notice. Coolant flushes I have done with all my cars owned over the years and believe the benefits far out-way the cost.
Tony G

Tony, I hope you are getting Rotex Gold or other 'dustless' brake pads.................if not, you need to reconsider this!

Also, that damper is about $10. less expensive than the Amazon.com one. I wonder now if they are the same??

http://www.amazon.com/Sachs-12446304...7598992&sr=1-1

One thing to note.................above product only ships to U.S. I ordered two, shipped to Arizona and it took less than a week to receive, however, I have not tried it yet.

Last edited by mbepic; 09-23-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Banned

Tony, I hope you are getting Rotex Gold or other 'dustless' brake pads.................if not, you need to reconsider this!
Point taken, but to be honest, I drive the car so little that the OEM pads have not been a problem in generating brake dust, so I have elected to go with OEM....my wife's '09 Volvo S60 on the other hand...................

Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony G
I replaced my pads with Posi-quiet Ceramic pads at about 60K miles and love them. Ceramic pads are quieter and much easier on the rotors than semi metallic. After about a year My rotors looked perfectly smooth, were still thicker than min, thickness and looked better than when I changed pads! I have since replaced the whole set up with four piston Brembo/Mercedes calipers with larger rotors.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I replaced my pads with Posi-quiet Ceramic pads at about 60K miles and love them. Ceramic pads are quieter and much easier on the rotors than semi metallic. After about a year My rotors looked perfectly smooth, were still thicker than min, thickness and looked better than when I changed pads! I have since replaced the whole set up with four piston Brembo/Mercedes calipers with larger rotors.

I replaced my fronts with the Rotex Gold, about four years ago........50,000 kms, ago and they are like perfect; no squeal, good response and still lots of meat left. The rotors are still smooth as well. For dollar cost vs value, they would certainly be my choice.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Point taken, but to be honest, I drive the car so little that the OEM pads have not been a problem in generating brake dust, so I have elected to go with OEM....
TonyG... since you don't drive that crossfire of yours often and it just sits there all lonely, how about we trade for a week and I will drive the sh*t out of it for you . Show you just how much OEM brakedust I can get built up on them in a week. Sound good?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Beaner
TonyG... since you don't drive that crossfire of yours often and it just sits there all lonely, how about we trade for a week and I will drive the sh*t out of it for you . Show you just how much OEM brakedust I can get built up on them in a week. Sound good?

Beaner, I'm guessing that Tony has a 6 Speed Manual, with no ***** hanging from the mirror. Are you sure you can handle that?

You can drive mine but it will cost you BIG time.............and I'll let you install those *****!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned

Show you just how much OEM brakedust I can get built up on them in a week. Sound good?
Believe it or not, our S60T 2.5 can blow the doors off my Crossfire. Like you, that's where I create my dust....

Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to read more about this dampner, we already have a 9 page thread about the same one here...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...surprised.html

Enjoy!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now the "DUST" has cleared, I have a stabilzer from JOE TLC ,winging its way North , will buy blue loctite tomorrow.Parking for the winter on Oct 31, so it will be part of my winter projects prior to the St Louis marathon

Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am thinking of replacing mine again...steering is getting loose....got to get it up in the air and see what is going on under there...not as tight as she used to be...couldn't be my driving....and I wasn't talking about my wife either, Franc....LOL

Old 09-29-2009, 08:45 PM

Already replaced it once???

Got to get it up......in the air???

Can't steer worth a damn???

Not as tight as it use to be???

Not talking about the wife???

What else could it be??? Of course, the steering damper????

Old 09-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

thought you would enjoy that....

Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

Tony G
Hello there Tony G., I planned to replaced my steering stabilizer before then i just found out that the one im currently using is much better than the new one. Now i am planning again to changed it and hopefully this is good one. Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited by clarkandrew45; 11-24-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clarkandrew45
Hello there Tony G., I planned to replaced my steering stabilizer before then i just found out that the one im currently using is much better than the new one. Now i am planning again to changed it and hopefully this is good one. Thanks for sharing this.
Do not purchase this stabilizer!
See: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...zer-again.html

Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Where was this one purchased?

I bought two from Amazon.com and the first one is on my Xfire and no problems at this point; I can't say that the stabilizer made much difference but certainly no worse; I think that is just an indication that my original was still in good condition........of course I have kept that original one for possible future re-installation if needed. Also would be nice to have the original one 50 years from now.........that would be a rarity.........LOL!

Quick Reply: Affordable Steering Stabilizer