Canada Serving Canada.

Need TPMS sensors? Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need TPMS sensors? Good Luck!

Just wanted to share with everyone the ordeal I am going through to obtain 4 new TPMS sensors for a winter wheel set. Yes I am putting winter wheels on the Crossfire, however you will be happy to know that I intend on parking the Crossfire in the garage all winter. However if needed, I'm prepared!
Having said that, I got the rims (four 18", two from Beaner) and got the Bridgestone Blizzaks at the blowout price of $178/ea from TireRack.com. That just left the sensors which were ordered two months ago. Word from my local Chrysler dealership, and confirmed at another Chrysler dealership, is that approximately 177 of these sensors are backordered across North America and the computer is saying that no vendor is producing them at this time!!!!!!
This is not good news.
I Googled the OEM part number #5142340AA and found a company in Texas that has eight aftermarket (but compatible) sensors in stock. They now have four as I ordered four immediately. I phoned them before ordering to confirm they were the proper part. The price is half of what Chrysler is charging here in Canada and with taxes, duty and brokerage added in, I still came out ahead. If interested, the link is:
Schrader TPMS Replacement Valve (SB-20066): All Tire Supply Company
It's this kind of thing that has me worried when owning an "orphaned" car. But as usual, the internet always comes through.........
I'll post back when the wheels are installed next month, letting you know if their were any issues with the aftermarket sensors....

Tony

Old 10-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need TPMS sensors? Good Luck!

I had no problem getting a couple sensor's a few weeks ago at a Goodyear Tire Center store.

You could also just put in regular valve stems......the sensor's won't work but you'll still be able to drive.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

I had no problem getting a couple sensor's a few weeks ago at a Goodyear Tire Center store.
That's encouraging to know. I wonder if they are the same aftermarket parts I purchased? Yea, you can always put in regular stems....these TPMS sensors are just a pain in the a** IMO.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

Update:
Schrader USA makes the sensors used in our Crossfires. The Chrysler OEM part number is identical to the part number used by Schrader. It is these same sensors that I ordered. Good news is, you could just find a distributor that carries Schrader TPMS sensors. So things aren't as bad as they seem.
Check out:
Schrader USA - TPMS OEM part locator

T.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tonygg
Update:
Schrader USA makes the sensors used in our Crossfires. The Chrysler OEM part number is identical to the part number used by Schrader. Good news is, you could just find a distributor that carries Schrader TPMS sensors.
Well then I guess I will be looking for a distributer this winter then if I want to get bigger rims so I can just sell the ones on my car as a whole complete package!! thanx for doing the research!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Re: Need TPMS sensors? Good Luck!

That's encouraging to know. I wonder if they are the same aftermarket parts I purchased? Yea, you can always put in regular stems....these TPMS sensors are just a pain in the a** IMO.

You actually answered my question of whether you could run without the sensors?

Seems to be hardly worthwhile if you just want a set for the winter (if needed) wheels other than to have the full package in case you want to sell later.
What kinda money are we talking here................would it be worth picking up a spare set to keep for future or unload for a profit sometime later as they become more rare (don't answer the latter part, as it is only my selfish,unmitigated 'capitalistic' greed that is coming out..........I saw 'Capitalism' (michael moore) last week, so he gave me a few good ideas.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

What kinda money are we talking here
I went to the Chrysler Dealership yesterday to get a full refund of four sensors, paid for at the time of order. Their was no problem getting a refund as they admitted that it didn't look like they were going to arrive any time soon. I was shocked at what I paid. The sensors were sold at $178/ea plus taxes. Multiply that by four and you have a total of over $800!!!!!
All was credited back to my credit card.
Sensors on-line: $74/ea.......

Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

What the #$%&???

Last edited by user 8202; 10-14-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mbepic
Yes no problem running without, but a warning light will come on the dash thats all.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by mbepic

Seems to be hardly worthwhile if you just want a set for the winter (if needed) wheels other than to have the full package in case you want to sell later.
What kinda money are we talking here................would it be worth picking up a spare set to keep for future or unload for a profit sometime later as they become more rare (don't answer the latter part, as it is only my selfish,unmitigated 'capitalistic' greed that is coming out..........I saw 'Capitalism' (michael moore) last week, so he gave me a few good ideas.
You could buy the sensors and keep them until they are really rare beasties but the batteries will be flat and they will be worth nothing. Thats like hanging on to your Nortel shares.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I Googled the OEM part number #5142340AA and found a company in Texas that has eight aftermarket (but compatible) sensors in stock. They now have four as I ordered four immediately. I phoned them before ordering to confirm they were the proper part. The price is half of what Chrysler is charging here in Canada and with taxes, duty and brokerage added in, I still came out ahead. If interested, the link is:
Schrader TPMS Replacement Valve (SB-20066): All Tire Supply Company
It's this kind of thing that has me worried when owning an "orphaned" car. But as usual, the internet always comes through.........
I'll post back when the wheels are installed next month, letting you know if their were any issues with the aftermarket sensors....

Tony
I think that SB-20066 is the wrong number, 20028 is the correct one I believe. All other years 2004, 06, 07 and 08 and some 2005s use 20028 sensors.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-15-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Service Kits available on Ebay.

linky

Last edited by tighed1; 12-13-2009 at 12:27 AM.