Canada Serving Canada.

New To The Boards.....Have Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To The Boards.....Have Some Questions

As noted, I am new to the boards here, but am a veteran on others.

Anyways, I was just wondering about a few things. I am currently debating getting into a crossfire. Most likely an 04' but I'm not sure yet.

Is there anything i should look out for? problems? anything common?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Default Re: New To The Boards.....Have Some Questions

Don't expect power to be anywhere near your S4's power. There has been some problems with the manual transmissions. Other than that, only minor issues, like wind noise or dim radio display. Do a search for TSB's and that will give you the complete list of problems. Most of us haven't had any issues though.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:11 AM

I haven't had a single problem with my car - I have an automatic and love it. The only downfall I can see with a Crossfire is the lack of power compared to other cars of it's class - but I have never had another vehicle that gets so many looks than this car, it's hot.

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the responses.

It is still up in the air whether or not I should do it. I mean, I'm not ready to start a family or anything so as for the versatility difference, it's not an issue. Also, I used to have an RSX, so I kind of miss have a small sports coupe.

The S4 is awesome and no doubt ballsy, I guess all I'm trying to say is I'm confused to the point where I need some swaying. So far, everyone I have spoken to has said to stick with the S.

Decisions decisions...

Old 07-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i sold an 02' M3 for the crossfire...and i have no regrets. M3's are a dime a dozen in my town. i hated seeing myself at every stop light. the M3 was great fun for 2 years but i was ready for a change. the crossfire is so unique and rare to see. i have added koni shocks and eibach springs to give it the more aggressive look & added handling i prefer.

hope this helps!

andrew

Attached Thumbnails New To The Boards.....Have Some Questions-m3b.jpg  
Old 08-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Despite having low horsepower numbers, I strongly recommend that you TEST DRIVE the car before you make your decision. In my opinion, the car has excellent pick-up (with the 6-speed). I truly love the snarl of the engine from the interior, and the incredible torque of the engine. I have been both a passenger and a driver of many cars with much higher horsepower numbers (STi, 400 hp Evo, S2000, CTS-V, Lotus Elise, etc...), yet around town, the Crossfire engine seems very eager to pull you ahead. I will emphasize around town because the Crossfire loses it's steam above 4000rpm. I have yet to drive a car that accelerates with the same feeling...I can't quite explain it, but I'll try:

Half throttle, to me, starting in first at around 1000 rpm and shifting at 3800 rpm in each gear seems to give me the best sense of the Crossfire's unique acceleration characteristics. You accelerate, get pressed into the seat, and feel the rear compress...it is very satisfying. The suspension is a little on the soft side, but you can only sense it when you corner very close to the limit of adhesion. My Dad has the CTS-V, and it accelerates like mad when you want it to, but it does not "leap" ahead with such enthusiasm as the Crossfire (in the lower gears, of course). Tell us how it goes after the test drive.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:54 AM

Well, I did test one, but it was a convertible and auto. It is incredibly hard to find a crossfire to test here. It is like they don't exist.

But, from what I felt, first problem, I am way too big for this car. I'm over 6'1 and I was looking over the windshield and around it too. It was really cramped.

As for the power, it lacked. I know it was auto and it isn't the same, but it would not even be a comparison just like others have said.

I think I will stick with my car for now, if I do ever want to change it, I will have to try it out again.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:58 PM

I'm 6' 2" and I have a tight fit into my car, but it's comfortable nonetheless. I had to push the seat to the bottom and furthest back - and that was enough for me to get comfortable. I have the steering in the middle position which allows me to get in and out best.

good luck.