Car Shows The place to discuss car shows and tips and tricks for winning them...

2013 Euro Auto Festival - OCT 18-20

Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default 2013 Euro Auto Festival - OCT 18-20

Thsi year's Euro Auto Festival is the 3rd weekend of October. To see some of the cars typically at this venue, checkout the coverage of last year's event on Speed Channel:

"The EURO Auto Festival episode of My Classic Car will be airing next Sunday, May 26, at 10:00 pm onSpeed TV. Set your DVRs and see what Dennis Gage has to say." - John Budinich, 2013 Euro Auto Festival Chair Person

Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Default Re: 2013 Euro Auto Festival - OCT 18-20

Registration is now open for 2013 Euro Auto Festival:

EURO Auto Festival 2013

Dennis Gage will be featuring last year's EURO on the Speed channel on Sunday, May 26th at 10 PM.

If you have problems finding this station on your cable network, go to http://www.locatetv.com/listings/speed-channel#26-May-2013

Registration for this year's show is Open http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventId=1213437

Linda

Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This years featured car is Fararri. There will be many examples of past and present cars from around the country. Each year we say this would be a great GTG venue. Maybe this year we can make it happen.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, their site says its the 18th and 19th.

I am really interested in going. The listing of events seems kind of benign though. I read somewhere about past events having autocross events, plant tours, and quick drives on local roads. They are saying "leisurely drives" through wine country with no mention of other "exciting" activities. They are still listing drives are the performance center.

Thoughts?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 PM

This link will send you to the Registration Page for Euro Auto Festival 2013.

Later,

Old 09-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Are you signed up for the Euro Auto Fest this year? The featured brand is Ferrari and they have over 40 signed up to attend from all across the country. We need at least 5 Crossfires to make a class. Any one interested in this?
Yes, we're signed up for this year's car show. Learned that Allen & Joanna are also planning to attend. That makes 3 XFires confirmed. Hope you & others can join us at the event. Ferrari's will be everywhere!!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 PM

Dennis i signed up the coupe and the roadster over the weekend. That makes 5 Crossfires confirmed. How can we get a few more to enter?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Dennis - 5 Crossfires confirmed. How can we get a few more to enter?
Wish I knew. I've talked this event up for several years to no avail. Can't seem to get any XFire Owners to attend outside of the few that live nearby (Upstate SC & Western NC). Folks really don't know what they're missing. All those beautiful cars in attendance! And the cars other than XFires are great to look at too!!!

Allen will be going for either his 3rd or 4th consecutive People's Choice award in our marque. Don't understand why car enthusiasts don't realize that a Machine Gray Crystal Pearl XFire is the best looking version, not that I'm prejudiced or anything! Showfield is attended by car enthusiasts of all varieties of marques. Makes eveyone sort of connected (like family) in that we are passionate about our cars. I especially like looking at the British roadsters of a bygone era & talking with the owners.

Ferrari's will be everywhere that weekend on the showfield. And there are always several Concourse Quality, one-of-a-kind vehicles that show up. We (Roberta & I) personally really enjoy the car show. And it makes a great XFire GTG venue in late October.

We're planning to partake in the "Upcountry Driving Tour #2" on Friday, OCT 18th. Group will be stopping at a couple of local wineries for wine tastings. Wineries are located just across state line in NC along the I-26 corridor, not far from Tryon & Saluda. We've been to one of the locations already and had a great time while there.

Later,

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-21-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ibedoughboy
FYI, their site says its the 18th and 19th.

I am really interested in going. The listing of events seems kind of benign though. I read somewhere about past events having autocross events, plant tours, and quick drives on local roads. They are saying "leisurely drives" through wine country with no mention of other "exciting" activities. They are still listing drives are the performance center.

Thoughts?
In years past, this event used to schedule autocross runs in one of the BMW plant's parking lots. On SAT, BMW provided the cars for the autcross course. So you could take several runs in a Z3, Z4, M3, etc. One year, Porsche was the featured marque and BMW talked the local Porsche dealer to provide 911's! What a trip!

Then on SUN, the autocross course was a sanctioned event and you could run your own vehicle. Lots of attendance.

Finally it came down to a liability issue (always does) and BMW decided to cancel the Autocross events and hold performance runs over at the nearby Performance Center. That site is where BMW takes a new owner of a SC factory built vehicle to show how to drive the vehicle & its capabilities. In the Euro Weekend, BMW again provides all the vehicles at the Performance Center. There's an AutoX circuit, small oval track, cross-country course, etc. One can hone driving skills during the weekend.

There are usually plant tours but these typcially occur on Friday. Saturday's focus is the car showfield and the gathering of marque's that originated and/or are produced in Europe. We typically get a lot of chatter during the car show on why XFires attend. Well, the car was produced in Germany at the Karmann plant. And the XFire was manufactured during the joint venture of Mercedes-Benz & Chrysler. So it's a "no brainer" why we can attend. You'll see quite a few examples of X3's and X5's. And guess what - they're produced in SC!!! The Z3's & early Z4's that show up also were produced in SC. And the SC site was the only manufacturing site for Z3's - ever!!

The Zentrum, which is the BMW museum on site, is something to go through. No cost during car show. Lots of great technological history of BMW, both cars & bikes. The Z3 originally introduced & used during one of the James Bond movies is on display. I like looking at the 2002 models. I always thought that was a great automobile.

You really ought to attend.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-21-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Saturday's focus is the car showfield and the gathering of marque's that originated and/or are produced in Europe. We typically get a lot of chatter during the car show on why XFires attend. Well, the car was produced in Germany at the Karmann plant. And the XFire was manufactured during the joint venture of Mercedes-Benz & Chrysler. So it's a "no brainer" why we can attend. You'll see quite a few examples of X3's and X5's. And guess what - they're produced in SC!!! The Z3's & early Z4's that show up also were produced in SC. And the SC site was the only manufacturing site for Z3's - ever!!
I wonder what they would do if somebody showed up with a "Karmann built" Javelin?

Javeling Through Europe | Hemmings Daily

Do they allow the Nash Healy, and Cadilliac Allente?

Dennis, we were hoping to make it to this years event, but our plans fell thru.
It's still on my "Bucket List".
I hope you have great weather.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 PM

Wish you could make it +fireamx. It really is a great event with some outstanding examples of most of the euro cars on display.

Dennis I heard from Jeff the other day. He has entered 2 SRT coupes. That is a total of 7 that I know about, however Allen said they may not be able to make it.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:35 PM

Dennis I heard from Jeff the other day. He has entered 2 SRT coupes. That is a total of 7 that I know about, however Allen said they may not be able to make it.
Joanna confirmed to me earlier this week that Allen & her would be at the car show. Having seven cars gives us a better presence than last year. Hope we attract several stragglers in the area that we talked to last year who had XFires but weren't part of the Owners Group.

See you on the showfield.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I wonder what they would do if somebody showed up with a "Karmann built" Javelin?

Not sure I'm ever going to get comfortable with a XFire having a hood scoop! Definitely makes your ride unique!

Anyway, lots of leeway with accepting cars for the showfield. As long as the car was produced/assembled in Europe, it gets welcomed to attend.

Hope you can make it sometime. As Jim stated, some exceptional cars attend every year. And the cars other than XFires are something to see, too!

Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Not sure I'm ever going to get comfortable with a XFire having a hood scoop! Definitely makes your ride unique!
Uhhh......thank you?

Last edited by +fireamx; 10-12-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM

Showfield registration for this year's Euro Auto Festival is closed. A total of 401 cars have pre-registered against the limit of 400. Looks like it will be a full showfield of great looking cars.

For those interested in seeing the variety of vehicles that typically attend, there is a video of last year's event on the website: Euro Auto Festival.

Later,

Old 10-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I watched the video, and at first thought "What the heck is a DeLorean ( DMC-12 ) doing there ?"
So I researched, I was not aware that they were built in Northern Ireland .......

Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx

Went to the Hendersonville, NC Autorama this past Saturday. Saw a pristine AMX Javelin with the 390 motor on Main Street showfield. Pictures are in an album I posted this weekend. Brought back memories!!!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 AM

Dennis I heard from Jeff the other day. He has entered 2 SRT coupes. That is a total of 7 that I know about,...
Looks like we didn't consistently identify CICCI as our car club when we registered cars. According to the Euro Auto Festival website, if 5 cars were pre-registered with a car club affiliation, our club logo and link to club website/forum would have been setup on the show's club webpage. No one contacted me about CICCI. No one else apparently was contacted either.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Euro Auto Festival Update:

EURO Auto Festival 2013

Hello!
I know that you are excited about the opening of the EURO Auto Festival 2013. After months of waiting, it is finally here!!
This will be a long email. I will break it into section to make it easier to read.
I will begin pass out registration packets on Friday morning in the lobby of the Embassy Suites. Hours will be from 8:15 AM to 11 AM and then again from 1 PM until 8 PM. I will be staying in the hotel, so if you need a later pick up time, let me know. If you are in town, please stop by the hotel and pick up your packet. It will make parking on Saturday easier for you.
I also will be passing out packets on Saturday at the gate starting around 7AM.
Parking at the show:
Parking will begin at 7:30. All cars need to be on the field by 10 AM. When you turn into BMW, you will see a sign stating there will be NO DAY OF SHOW REGISTRATION. Non-registered cars will be directed to the parking lot. Those with trailers will be directed into the trailer parking area. You cannot bring your trailer on to the show field. The line will then split up between those who have already picked up their packets and those who have not. Those with packets just need to show the packet and enter the field. AT this point you will be directed where to go. There will be a photographer who will be taking a photo of every car. I will discuss the photograph later in this email. Once you have had your photo taken, you will be directed into your parking space. Every car has an assigned space. This information is on the outside of your packet – be sure to keep your packet handy. There will be a volunteer to help you get into the correct space.
Registration packet:
You will have the following in your packet: a copy of the your schedule of activities you signed up for, car dash board which you will be under your wipers after you have parked your car, tickets for the banquet, your name tags as well as your guest tag, your voting ballots and a letter explaining how voting works, and a metal dash plaque. You should wear your name tag at all times. If you have purchased a banquet ticket, banquet appears on your name tag and it is your “ticket” to get into the banquet room and the Hospitality room at the hotel. The back of your name tag has a schedule of the events.
Photographs:
DoubleVisions.US will be photographing all automobiles entered in the EURO Auto Festival 2013. These shots will be taken at the entrance to the BMW Zentrium driveway, in the display fields and at the awards presentations. Commemorate prints of these photos will be available for purchase on-line at DoubleVisions.US. Each driver will receive a flyer that explains how to obtain these prints and other commemorative items including coffee mugs from DoubleVisions. Digital copies of the purchased images will be included at no additional charge for orders that exceed $50. A 10% early bird discount is also being offered for orders that exceed $50 and are placed prior to Nov. 10, 2013.
To keep the line moving and minimize the bottlenecking, please refrain from asking the photographer questions at this time. The photographers will be at the show all day and will be glad to talk to you.
Preservationist Award
Over 90 cars requested to be considered for this award. It has been decided to be eligible for this award the car needs to be at least 30 years old. This left 50 cars on the list. These individuals will be sent another email from me asking if the car fits the definition. Next year we will make the qualifications clearer on the registration form.
CLUBS
There will be tents, tables and chairs set up for clubs to use at the show. 64 different car clubs will have members showing their cars at this year’s show. Over 70 registrants do not belong to a car club. Club members should be sure that they bring along new membership sign up sheets! A person club membership will be displayed on the name tag as well as on the car dash board. 21 clubs have their logo on our webpage http://euroautofestival.com/clubs/ .
Performance Center Drives
For those of you who purchased the X-Drive or the Ride Along, your name willon a list to provided to the Performance center. On your schedule in your packet will be the drives and times you purchased. There will be a shuttle that leaves by the front gate of the show field that will take you to the Performance Center.
That is all from me. I am sure you will have a wonderful weekend in the Upstate. See you soon.
There is also a message from our chairman.
IT'S SHOWTIME...

As I write this entry, we are one week away from the 2013 show, and what a show it should be. We reached our goal of 400 entries by October 1st, presenting 413 cars. We have sold 179 banquet seats and the wine tours and workshops have great numbers signed up. We have doubled the number of sponsors from last year and the merchant tent is full. I am not sure if it is the friendliness of the event, the great setting provided by BMW Manufacturing at the Zentrum, the drawing power of Ferrari, our featured marque, or all of above that made this happen, but we are thankful, nonetheless.

Due to the show being filled by the October 1 date, we were able to fully plan out the parking layout in advance. This has allowed us to group the classes within a given marque together in year of manufacture order. We hope this makes for an attractive layout for participants and spectators alike. This was not possible at past events due to the inability to plan around day of show registrations. This year, every entry has a preassigned parking slot which should make the staging and awards presentation portions of the show go more smoothly. We will also have large diagrams located in strategic areas across the venue to allow people to see where every vehicle, sponsor and merchant is located. We hope you like this new arrangement.

I want to thank all of the Board members for their hard work in putting this show together. You would be amazed at all the details it takes to plan an event of this size. I would also like to thank the many volunteers from the American Red Cross, Foothills British Car Club (FBCC), Broad River European Motor Club (BREMC) and the many individuals who lent a hand to plan the show and who will be there staffing the Friday and Saturday events.

Finally, and most importantly, we want to thank all of the owners who have entered their vehicles in the show. Without you passion and enthusiasm for the hobby, there would be no show. Your willingness to share your love of European automobiles is what brings the 10,000 to 12,000 spectators out to enjoy the various offerings from all across Europe.

Here's to a great event. Enjoy...
John Budinich, EURO Chairman

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-15-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Another update for this weekend's Euro AutoFest:

EURO Auto Festival 2013

A few more details about this weekend:
Posters
Go to http://euroautofestival.com/posters/ to view this year’s posters as well as past years. The poster will be sold at booth in the Vendor tent. The new posters are available for $20. They are numbered and signed by the artist. Past year posters are also available for $25.
Show Ground maps
There will be maps posted at the show in several locations and at the hotel that indicate where the Makes of cars will be parked, the vendor tents and the food tents are located. At the show, there will be an arrow indicating where you are at.
Hotel Security Parking
A portion of the parking lot at the Embassy Suites will be reserved for registered cars. It is located on the left side of the hotel. At night, it will be patrolled by security officers hired by EURO.
Logo Apparel
Logo embroidered Polo shirts and caps as well as Tee Shirts will be available at the Embassy Suites (near the Registration Desk) from 2 pm to 8 pm. They will also be available at the show in the vendor tent. Last year the merchandise was nearly sold out on Friday. If you see something you like, don’t wait! If you pre-order merchandise, be sure to pick it up.

See you soon,
Linda

Quick Reply: 2013 Euro Auto Festival - OCT 18-20