Cars For Sale - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

Wanted Nice Florida Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Wanted Nice Florida Roadster

In light colors (NOT black) with manual trans and no rust. Low miles a plus. Clear Florida title a must.

Padgett
Orlando

Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Default Re: Wanted Nice Florida Roadster

Well I just saw probably the nicest bright silver(07)/cedar (red) interior limited roadster around. Everything topside showroom new and nothing underneath a day with a wire brush would not fix. Even under the notorious door seals there was no sign of rust. Everything worked perfectly and drove perfectly smooth.
25k miles.

I went (about 75 miles) with cash and a tow dolly and only one thing kept me from buying it: I don't fit. Am 5'10" but my driving position is best described as "reclining" (when I raced Corvettes my head was behind the B pillar). For me, if I tilted the seat back to where I was comfortable, the headrest hit the roll bar about 2" too close to the whell which was too high for me even full in and had my knees crooked.

Note: apparently some differences in the 07 Limited roadster besides the new color are body colored windshield surround, mirrors, and door handles. I think it looks great.

If anyone is interested in more details, send me an e-mail but all I can say is goodbye and thanks for the fish.

Padgett

Attached Thumbnails Wanted Nice Florida Roadster-side.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts

There is a mod you can do that lowers the seat.

If you search here, you can find the thread on it - I'm sorry you didn't know about it!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:46 PM

Thank you but the seat was low enough. If anything the steering wheel was too high. My problem was that with the seat reclined the way I like to drive, even hitting the roll bar it was not far enough back and my knees were bent and the steering wheel was still too close. Guess the reclining and arms out position is out of favor these days. Odd thing is I never had difficulty finding a comfortable position in a Fiero and it didn't even have power seats. I did lower the seats in my Reattae but never an issue with going far enough back and reclined.

Really to bad this was as near a new car as I have seen and the dealer just put new tires on it. Top was as new and I checked the glass & was good. If I could have just gotten comfortable I would have bought it. Does a coupe seat go further back & recline more ?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts

Not in my experience. I am 5 10 as well, and sit too HIGH in my Roadster.
I have tried Limited Coupes and didn't like how I sat in them - I sit too high in them.

HOWEVER, I seem to sit lower in the Base Coupes and the SRT Coupes.
I was surprised when I test drove an SRT Coupe two months ago - I was very comfortable in it.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 5'10.5" and sit more upright so I have no issues with my coupe. Of course with my back I can't recline to far back for long. I do know that I have to watch the back of the seats. My "adopted" Godsons are 6'7" and 6'8" and they could never drive the car.... YEAH!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 PM

Guess I should just find a coupe and try it. After all I have a convertible just not a Crossfire. If I just could have gotten another inch further back and about 10 degrees more recline it would have been fine and a coupe should have more room without the bulkhead and chrome styling bars behind the seats.

BTW the gearbox seemed really close: I could start in second and the only o/d gear is sixth. Is there a taller rear gear available, like 2.79 ?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the asking price?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Guess I should just find a coupe and try it. After all I have a convertible just not a Crossfire. If I just could have gotten another inch further back and about 10 degrees more recline it would have been fine and a coupe should have more room without the bulkhead and chrome styling bars behind the seats.

BTW the gearbox seemed really close: I could start in second and the only o/d gear is sixth. Is there a taller rear gear available, like 2.79 ?
Good luck on your search. But the seat positions and cabin distance are the same on both the coupe and roadster.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This isn't a lean back and pimp type of car. It's a sports car that demands your attention while behind the wheel, especially if it's a manual. I'm 6'4" and manage to fit in either a coupe or roadster, although our coupe is an SRT-6.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Sorry ? When a bit younger I used to race Corvettes: SCCA, IMSA, FIA. also Fla State and SW Division SCCA solo II champion. My seating position was always with my arms nearly straight out in front and head behind the B pillar. Recently drove a friend with trailer 1300 miles in about 22 hours including stops.

Crossfire roadster is the first of many cars driven over the years (including a FIAT 850R) that I could could not get comfortable in. Coupe is so close I think with a few mods I can get there.

Also think that with a 2.60 pumpkin the 6 speed will be a lot more usable.

Do you chew a cigar when driving ?

Last edited by Padgett; 11-25-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry, but in the above picture, there is no way that seat back is at 40-45 degrees ( unless you don't really have your back against it ! )
Looks more like 20-25 degrees to me .......

Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 AM

OK, I give up, you win.

I admit the seat in the Judge (at speed in the .sig) is only at 38 degrees (before reclining seats I always had to install spacers (about 1/2") and longer bolts at the front of the seat rails plus remove the stops on the back of the seat (in a coupe the seat folds forward, do not really understand why crossfire seat doesn't there are pockets behind the seat.

At this point it is entirely possible I will have to have a seat made (why I have a want ad posted for a complete driver's seat) though am still looking at notching the transverse bar.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM

If you're talking about the "wall" behind your seat, I'd recommend you be careful. It houses the gas tank plus provides structure to the frame. Not to mention all the moulding pieces that cover it. And the seat won't touch the roll bars no matter how you adjust them. The seats don't fold because they are power seats, and what are you going to put there anyways. As for cigars, yes I always have one but never in the Crossfires.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 AM

On another note, that car you looked at doesn't have body colored windshield surround or door handles. They are the same silver paint as the strakes, but come close to Bright Silver. All Crossfires had body colored mirrors. The only ones that had different color surrounds were SE and base models.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 AM

a: have moved the seat issue here. See post on gas tank.
b: mirrors, windshield surround, and door handles were so close to the bright silver paint that to me it really looked good.
c: anyone know how to change the default font, I could not find it in the User CP.
d: do not know why so many get defensive about how I like to sit in a car, it is obviously different from most.
e: in roadster with the seat raised, reclined, and back it was touching the chromed styling bars. Coupe does not have.

Attached Thumbnails Wanted Nice Florida Roadster-sidesm.jpg   Wanted Nice Florida Roadster-sidesm2.jpg  

Last edited by Padgett; 11-25-2013 at 11:41 AM.