Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hi, looking at Crossfires...

Old 04-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, looking at Crossfires...

I really can't drive an average car (dodge neon, honda civic) and now I need a DD to drive 70 miles a day, all year round to work and back. I live in Michigan. Seems like with 2 sets of tires I would be fine.

Basically, I don't know much about Crossfires. Are they reliable (because I will buy used, likely in the 20k mile range, so only 16k miles of full warranty left), comfortable for long trips and decent on gas? I read that they get 25 mpg hwy, but I'm not sure if thats with auto or manual. I plan on the latter.

Also, besides searching autotrader and ebay, does any one know of any good deals in SE Mich? Really looking for a black, silver, red, charcoal one with a black/cedar int.

Thanks for a response to any part of that!

Old 04-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Default Re: Hi, looking at Crossfires...

A xfire is really all about the design and experience then the reliability and mileage. As others will tell you, it is a unique, exotic looking vehicle that is a real kick to drive.
As far as the mileage, its good and as far as I am concerned, it has been reliable (knock on wood).

Old 04-30-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by BooGTS
I really can't drive an average car (dodge neon, honda civic) and now I need a DD to drive 70 miles a day, all year round to work and back. I live in Michigan. Seems like with 2 sets of tires I would be fine.

Basically, I don't know much about Crossfires. Are they reliable (because I will buy used, likely in the 20k mile range, so only 16k miles of full warranty left), comfortable for long trips and decent on gas? I read that they get 25 mpg hwy, but I'm not sure if thats with auto or manual. I plan on the latter.

Also, besides searching autotrader and ebay, does any one know of any good deals in SE Mich? Really looking for a black, silver, red, charcoal one with a black/cedar int.

I traded in my grand prix for a used crossfire about 6 months ago, it's been a very nice car to drive. Considering I drive it about 50 miles per day, I could say it's been very reliable. The handling in this car is excellent, but the suspension is a little stiff (people used to driving sports cars would probably tell you otherwise). So one thing you need to consider before buying a crossfire is the quality of the roads in your area. Right now, literally every street where I live is under construction which means it's a SUV would be a much more comfortable ride. (Although most of the time this car is so smooth it puts my girlfriend right to sleep).

Old 04-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpristel
(Although most of the time this car is so smooth it puts my girlfriend right to sleep).
Or could it be the conversation?

Old 04-30-2006, 06:46 PM

The gas mileage is decent right around 20 city for me. But on long hauls it can get quite uncomfortable. The ride can be harsh and if you are taller like myself (6'1") you will have a hard time finding a good seat position. My crossfire has never been in the shop for anything mechanical. Was in once when I bought it for heavy swirl marks.

If you are worried about MPG and comfort, and still want great (better) fit and finish, check into a mini cooper S.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:36 PM

wanna buy mine? i'm about to trade it for an SS Trailblazer. but if you want it you can have it before it goes back to the bank.

to tell you the truth it's an awesome car for the money.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've driven a turbo '98 neon rt, '03 srt-4, and a turbo PT cruiser (GT model) for the past 5 years... going to the crossfire... i find that the car puts a smile on your face from the design perspective... it is very comfy for me at 5' 11", small frame... what i do not like is the engine, it feels like a old school motor (which it is, its a rather old benz design)... it knocks and taps, aka, loud valve train... it requires 8 quarts of the rarest oil you will ever look for (at best, 5 dollars per quart for the mobil one)... it uses a oil filter that is rare at best... power output is only decent.

if you work on your own cars like i do, then these matter to you...

having said that... the design is spectacular and i would not give it up for anything... instead, i'll drive it till the MB motor is toast and park it in my garage so i can tear it apart... eventually, many years from now, it would be great to put a 2.4 srt-4 engine in it, using the rear wheel drive 4 cylinder transmission from a jeep liberty (6 speed, same bolt pattern as SRT motor, just need to fabricate a custom drive shaft... which is cake since there are plenty of shops that do that)... but that's many many years from now for me. hope it survives daily driving duty till then... what's this have to do with you needing a daily driver ? i dunno... i am ranting again...

Old 04-30-2006, 10:48 PM
sbj

Bullseye, maybe I am wrong, but i've been in quite a few mini coopers, the interiors remind me of a playground in mcdonalds , but i guess its still a bimmer.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by sbj
Bullseye, maybe I am wrong, but i've been in quite a few mini coopers, the interiors remind me of a playground in mcdonalds , but i guess its still a bimmer.
I take it you are referring to the style, that is an opinion. But the quality of the interior is top notch. Much like a BMW, what a coincidence.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by intenseblu
eventually, many years from now, it would be great to put a 2.4 srt-4 engine in it, using the rear wheel drive 4 cylinder transmission from a jeep liberty (6 speed, same bolt pattern as SRT motor, just need to fabricate a custom drive shaft... which is cake since there are plenty of shops that do that)
I have said this many times. It would be wicked. And it would be cheaper and easier than a hemi swap.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by midnightman
Or could it be the conversation?
Hey, either way, she stops talking.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:28 AM

I used to drive my Crossfire to commute about 200 miles each day for 2.5 months. The car is very comfortable to drive for long trips. Actually, my commute time dropped about 5 minutes each way for some strange reasons (?). Here are few things that you need to know before making this car your daily commuter.

It needs a decent cup holder for your morning coffee.
When it snows and you see packed snow on the ground, take the bus. I have AST conti's on mine and I do not recommend driving it in snow.
Get a radar detector. When not paying attention, you can be doing waaaay over the speed limit unintentionally.

Other than that, the car has been nothing but a pleasure to drive. Oh one more thing, since the car's visor does not flip over to the window side, be careful of the "left cheek only" sun tan (if you travel north/south bound like I did).

Old 05-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular

Check your PM's.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porterhouse
Oh one more thing, since the car's visor does not flip over to the window side, be careful of the "left cheek only" sun tan (if you travel north/south bound like I did).
Noticed that problem, and just got my windows tinted 35%. Didn't completely solved the problem, but MUCH better.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 AM

I bought mine used from Carmax. I still wouldn't have anything else. Some people have reported endless problems, others have had none. Thankfully, I am one of the second group. I've been tracking my gas mileage since I bought it and can say that average in town mileage is 22.3/gallon at this point. As to the reported problems, the most common that come to mind are the failure of the heated seats, transmission problems with the stick, failure of the radio, and failure of the rear hatch. Some have also reported problems with moisture in the headlights. Of these, I have only experienced the heated seats issue.

Probably the largest complaint anyone has had about the Crossfire is the crappy service provided by most of the dealerships. So, I would recommend checking out your local dealerships very well. Questioning them on the Crossfire wouldn’t be a bad idea before you let them do anything.

When I bought mine it had 23k on it, and I couldn’t really tell. As others have said, I will drive it until it drops. The pick it up and do it again.

I love the Crossfire, and go the long way everywhere. Sorry for rambling.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Forum Regular

There's a killer deal for a Xfire SRT-6 on Ebay right now... Buy-it-Now for $28,600. That's pretty good for an SRT-6 coupe. Go to the posting in the SRT-6 section that I posted and have a look if interested.