Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

remote oil level sensor

Old 05-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote oil level sensor

I have been trying to use the oil level sensor system in my '04 Crossfire coupe it does not seem to work as described in the manual. Anyone have any input?

Old 05-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: remote oil level sensor

This is indeed a tricky one. It took me a while to get it to work and even still gives me fits but...

First and foremost, you have to turn off the car and wait. Maybe five to ten minutes. (This allows time for the oil to fall back down into the pan.) Turn the key to "on". Then press the button on the gauge display two times in a row. If you still only see the FSS display. Keep waiting. And keep pressing the button every so often. Eventually, you will see the oil can symbol and the status of your oil level.

Keep trying, you'll get it.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular

First you have to say "hocus pocus dominocus" then hold your tongue to the left. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:37 PM

Turn the key to on but DON'T START THE CAR, then just wait and do NOTHING for about 10 seconds until you see the odometer mileage disappear and an oil pictogram and a little clock appear on the display. When this appears push the button on the left in twice and it will display your oil level. If it reads OK then you're fine, if it doesn't display a reading then the car is not level or all the oil hasn't drained down into the pan yet after driving in which case you'll have to wait about 10 minutes or so then try again. It's real simple.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Turn the key to on but DON'T START THE CAR, then just wait and do NOTHING for about 10 seconds until you see the odometer mileage disappear and an oil pictogram and a little clock appear on the display. When this appears push the button on the left in twice and it will display your oil level. If it reads OK then you're fine, if it doesn't display a reading then the car is not level or all the oil hasn't drained down into the pan yet after driving in which case you'll have to wait about 10 minutes or so then try again. It's real simple.
I haven't had any luck either with the dash display. I thought it might be the fact that the car wasn't level as you had mentioned but it doesn't seem to matter... Dipstick method says I'm good though. I have reservations taking it to the dealer since the last time I did the service writer said, "Oh no, not a Crossfire!" Let me tell you that I will never take it back to that dealer. Carl Burger Dodge in San Diego, CA.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 PM

I just got mine to work!

Turn the key to on/run but do not start... Wait until the beeps end... within a second or two of the beeps ending there will be an oil icon and a clock icon in the displays... while these are showing press the button twice within one second... your oil level will be displayed... my car was not exactly level, but close... i got an "OK" display, which confirms yesterdays "hood up" check... i guess it really works...

The service reset was a little more tricky but i got it done...

Follow the directions in the manual exactly a lot is based on timing of your procedures...

Very cool...

Last edited by rhacker382; 01-15-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Forum Regular

I just tried it on my lunch break and I was successful (finally)! One less thing to worry about.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by msheredy
I just tried it on my lunch break and I was successful (finally)! One less thing to worry about.
Yay! Bravo!

***APPLAUSE - APPLAUSE***

Old 01-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can get mine to work, but it seems to indicate the oil level as being one liter less than what I read on the dipstick.
I recently changed my oil, not the oil filter, and after topping up with 7 quarts the system said I was short 1 quart.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I can get mine to work, but it seems to indicate the oil level as being one liter less than what I read on the dipstick.
I recently changed my oil, not the oil filter, and after topping up with 7 quarts the system said I was short 1 quart.
Just out of curiosity why didn't you change the filter out with the oil change? You should really do this.

I can't really help out with your math not knowing which filter [new or old] you have in your car. That entire oil filter housing is full of oil until you start to loosen the cap [which you will then begin to hear oil draining out].

When I performed my oil change I swapped out my filter and put in 8 quarts and fired up the car to get the filter filled with oil. I let it set for a while and checked the level then on the dipstick. All was good. I wonder if the first paper oil filters [which mine had] held more oil in them vs the newest fleece filters, which would explain why we should only put 8 quarts in now vs the 8.5??? I say this because the original paper filter had quite a different construction [somewhat bulkier] that the newest fleece filter. I quadruple verified that I did indeed have the correct filter too.

Last edited by msheredy; 01-15-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:40 PM

Reading through posts the other day I noticed that the XF takes anywhere between 8.0 and 8.5 Quarts... Not the 6.5 as noted originally in the manual. The new manuals say 8.5... Some say it is somewhere in between 8.0 and 8.5... It was all a bit confusing at first but the information is on here someplace...

Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 PM

Just out of curiosity why didn't you change the filter out with the oil change? You should really do this.

I can't really help out with your math not knowing which filter [new or old] you have in your car. That entire oil filter housing is full of oil until you start to loosen the cap [which you will then begin to hear oil draining out].

When I performed my oil change I swapped out my filter and put in 8 quarts and fired up the car to get the filter filled with oil. I let it set for a while and checked the level then on the dipstick. All was good. I wonder if the first paper oil filters [which mine had] held more oil in them vs the newest fleece filters, which would explain why we should only put 8 quarts in now vs the 8.5??? I say this because the original paper filter had quite a different construction [somewhat bulkier] that the newest fleece filter. I quadruple verified that I did indeed have the correct filter too.
I installed a new filter about 2,000 miles before the oil change, I just wanted to see if there was any debris in the old filter.

but the thing with my oil level sensor is, it's indicating I am a litre short in the crankcase, while the dip stick says I'm right on target.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Forum Regular

When I change the oil & Filter I put 8 qt's in and that brings it to full on the dip stick and "ok" on the dash readout. If I add 8 1/2 qt's I get the "hi" reading on the dash.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marauderroy
When I change the oil & Filter I put 8 qt's in and that brings it to full on the dip stick and "ok" on the dash readout. If I add 8 1/2 qt's I get the "hi" reading on the dash.
The reading on the dipstick—is that before or after you run the engine to get the oil filter filled up?

Old 01-16-2007, 01:15 PM

The reading on the dipstick—is that before or after you run the engine to get the oil filter filled up?
I measure oil level before starting the engine.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular

I measure oil level before starting the engine.
That makes sense. I'm sure once you start up the car, get the filter full, the dipstick would then read right in the middle [which I believe is where it should be].