Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Traction Control Test

Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Traction Control Test

I think I can decide for myself if I want to wear my seatbelt. I also doubt that everyone here wears it every time they drive.

Don't mean to sound rude, it's only my opinion.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually I DO fasten mine EVERY time I drive. And I insist that any passenger(s) that are in a vehicle I am driving have theirs fastened BEFORE the vehicle moves at all.

This is just my personal preference. If you choose not to use your seat belt, that IS your choice. I only hope you aren't in an accident... the results without a belt are much worse (proven fact).

Good luck... be safe.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by badseed1
I think I can decide for myself if I want to wear my seatbelt. I also doubt that everyone here wears it every time they drive.

Sure you can.

I wear mine every time.

Why you wouldn't choose to do something that has massive benefits (not to mention being required by law) at practically zero cost (the whole 2 seconds it takes to do it), I have no idea, but go for it.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM

You know - some people in my country consider that driving without wearing the seat belt - is more safely

They say - seat belt can hurt you, even split you.

Or sometimes - I hear "Why? I have an airbags! "

It is silly.

ps
After new year - the penaltyl (wrong word?) for not fastened belt - 500ru ($20)vs $2 before 2008 year.
Now more and more people I can see - are fastened. Not because safty - because big penalty!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air bags won't help much in a rollover, and personally I'd rather take my chances inside the car than being ejected out a window or the windshield ! But it is your choice !

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM

"... than being ejected out a window or the windshield !" - its true.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by badseed1

I also don't mean to sound rude, but I think you are extremely mistaken .. If you have a car, fast or not, you need to wear your seatbelt all the time.. unless you have a deathwish especially if you are planning on racing .. you need to wear helmet etc.

you never see racers without their harnesses etc.

Then again when I was about 10 years younger, I never wore my seatbelt either, and didn't care what others in the car did ...

my buddy got thrown threw the front windshield and almost got scalped in the process, as for me, I got jammed into the steering column and had to lay in the hospital for over 2 weeks recovering ...

yea prolly not EVERYONE on here wears their seatbelt (mainly bc you don't ) but I would bet that the vast majority of them do, I think it comes with age that you would rather be safe than sorry.

-Chris

Last edited by Morkai; 04-23-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Yes! I heard somewhere - BE SAFE, NOT SORRY

Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Feds have mandated seatbelts in all cars since 1963, and I've been wearing them in every car that had em since I was 12 years old.
In 1962 my uncle was thrown from his Cadilliac thru the windshield and the car landed on top of him.
That's all it took to make my Dad believe in seatbelts, and when he got his new 1963 Dodge "Demo" he would always where them.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 AM

the entire seatbelt issue is driving to the car wash down the street without that god-awful sound, or to my friends that live three miles down the street. I'm not telling you I'll be racing or on the highway without a seatbelt, it is a matter of peace of mind on a very short drive.

Yes, most accidents happen within 25 miles of home, but you can't always live your life by what the odds tell you might happen. I prefer to take some risks and not live scared. That is not to say that I believe the people here are scared, just real careful.

Since we are also discussing safety, i was wondering how many people here speed, do burnouts, fishtails, drag race (track or street), etc. I just want to see how many people here are careful and who is hypocritical.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 AM

This may sound hypocritical to some, but I'll say it anyway...

Speeding and more 'extreme' forms of driving when using seat belts is less dangerous than NOT wearing a seat belt in a ~30mph accident. (My opinion and generally true if you look at the statistics of injuries at different speeds with and without belts)

Most (at least the ones I know) don't take serious risks like trying to drive over 100mph in heavy traffic. I can honestly say I drive fast, but with intelligence. Those that drag race at night on long straight roads are at least showing a small amount of smarts by doing so on uncrowded roads during light to no traffic hours.

Driving down to the car wash or 'only three miles down the street' is not truely a bad thing if there are no cross streets, BUT... there is always the 'other' driver who is not paying attention, crosses the center line and hits you head on. Even at only 25 mph for each car, that's a combined collision speed of 50 mph. I don't know about you, but I think at 50 mph, if you hit a solid wall or barrier, you would be hurt quite badly, if not ejected from the vehicle. Then there are those people who have had their lower jaw removed by the steering wheel from a frontal impact.

I don't fasten my safety belts not out of fear but out of prevention. Safety belts are not their to remove fear, but to do a job in case of an accident. If you don't have it on it can't do it's job.

Sorry for the rant... if you still feel seat belts are 'optional' then I can only hope you have some other trait that keeps you out of the Darwin Awards.

Cheers!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personnaly feel people who don't wear thier seat belt are really ignorant of the fact that there is an exsplosive device pointing at your face, without belt restraint it is documented airbags do SNAP NECKS without a SEAT BELT SUPPORTING THE UPPER BODY

Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 PM

I don't think it's necessarily a question of age for me, but a question of upbringing. When I was 5 or 6 and moving out of child-seats, my mother would simple refuse to move the car until we had our seatbelts clicked. It was more important to her that we live our lives to some natural end, than it was to save 10 seconds getting on the road. As a result, every car accident I've been in (and some quite major) I was wearing my seatbelt through, and therefore I have walked away from with minor injuries at worst. At least 3 of those accidents would most surely have killed me had I not been wearing a safety belt. Thanks Mom.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just browsing the forum, saw this thread...you all know there are a few of us that are cops, sry, but we are here anyway...and as a kid I didn't wear mine much, had a Z-28 in 69, Dad liked fast cars, this was my 1st car thanks to his help, and me farming.. anyway back to the subject, investigated a lot of crashes, seen a lot of people ejected from their car, but the one I want to share w/ all of you is the little old lady going to the grocery in a 30 mph zone, she wasn't speeding, but for some reason still unknown she struck a utility pole, right where the impact zone for the air-bag to be activated. Because she didn't have her belt on, the impact threw her to the steering wheel causing injury to her forehead and nose, bag explodes, throws her backwards, her wig was in the back seat, she was unconscious when I arrived. She was transported to the hospital, later died of a ruptured aorta...true story, my first fatal in the city limits of our small town...even I now buckle up for the short trips...which I didn't used to...it is the law here as well...sry for the long story, but it may just save your life...Doc

Old 04-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned in flight school that the seatbelt will keep you where you belong in turbulence or during an unbalanced maneuver. You can't fly the plane if you can't stay in the pilot seat! Later, when I started driving cars, you bet I wore my seatbelt. I want the actual feeling of the belt holding me down. Brilliant designers and engineers put their best efforts into our cars,and we enjoy the results every day. So can you at least muster one or two brain cells and realize that you should be buckled up? If you can't, your not worthy of the car. And I don't consider that a mere opinion.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 PM

yeesh, what a topic change. Ill tell ya this much. The worse accident Ive been in (only a few) was right infront of my house when I lived in MI, around 1 in the morning. I was going to head to a friends house not even a quarter mile down the road. Pulled out, next thing I know, whame! got nailed by a drunk driver in the opposite lane, well, thats where he should have been. Luckly for me, I never move a car without putting my belt on. Sometimes I even put it on when I just go out to sit in the car without thinking.
And I dont think its hypocritical to speeding and doing donuts and what not and still require your passanger to wear a seatbelt. For one it could be the difference from a wreckless driving charge (they lived when you crashed) to involintary man slaughter/vehicular man slaughter. of course thats worse case.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the Air Marshal?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Does anyone else notice the Traction Control intefers way too quickly sometimes? And makes the car feel much slower when accelerating?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 PM

golferken55,

That's the job of the ESP.... ANY wheel slip is immediately dealt with by lowering the engine power and applying brakes at the appropriate wheels. Turn off the ESP and the traction control is still there, BUT not as intrusive. ONLY by disabling the Yaw sensor can you hope to defeat the system and drive a truly manual braking system.

Some racing drivers have told me that after they got 'good', they turned off the Traction Control/ESP type systems and then really got good at braking for corners. Being able to take the car to that very limit without loosing traction.

That being said, I'll keep mine on for daily driving and even track runs. I am NOT that good yet.

If you feel you are that good... more power too you. BUT, you WILL end up skidding quite a bit on the manual braking. These cars are VERY tail happy and will slide out from under you at a moment's notice.

Safety first folks... Buckle up. If you are at the track, roll DOWN your windows and wear a helmet and proper driving attire.

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 PM

does anyone else have this problem with the srt6? excelleration is good moist of the time and then suddenly its sluggish? Just during regular drivng with absolutely no tire slipagge. Werid huh? Feels like esc kicks in way too early and engine feels slow ans sluggish, then goes back to normal after a couple downshifts and punching in the gas. Hmmmmm

Quick Reply: Traction Control Test