Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

fan/air conditioning

Old 05-23-2007, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan/air conditioning

I bought a Coupe XF at the weekend - love it to bits.

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but the fan does not seem very powerful. I need to have it on max (5) to get any sort of power from it. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Mack

Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: fan/air conditioning

It doesn't sound normal. I got '04 XF about two weeks ago and one of my concerns was the air conditioning working for the summer. When I get out of work my car is boiling hot and all I need is to have it on setting 3 to really cool down. On setting 3 its blowing fairly hard. Anyone else know what might be causing this.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I might need to take it to the dealer - its makes a noise that warrants a lot of air coming from the vents but very little does.

Other suggestions are welcome.

When i get to the bottom of this - i'll post the outcome here.

Thanks again.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:14 PM

Not to sound dumb, but make sure you have the selector on face only, and make sure the vents are not closed. I only say this because I've done it! A lot of noise, not a lot of air...

Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 PM

I don't need to put mine over 2 or it gets too cold even with being in FL, it should not need to be on 5. My 5 sounds like a wind storm in my car.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:12 AM

Nada - selector on "face vebts" and fully open. The only way to notice any power coming from it is to close the vents beside the doors - leaving the centre vents open.

My girlfriend has a 2 ltr renault clio. The fan on number two is equivalent to the crossfire being on max.

Thanks for your help tho.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:57 AM

clogged cabin filters perhaps?

Old 05-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you feel air coming out from anywhere else like the defroster or the heater vents? Could be the air doors inside the blower unit are stuck. Running the fan on 5 should be like a small hurricane inside the car.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

my guess... the resistor/relay is faulty... or possibly the switch itself has gone bad.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:45 PM

This is very common and i experienced it on all my 3 crossfires. If it was blazing hot outside the air when turned on for the first time would blow hot air for a little longer time than i'm used to in other cars but it will then start to cool very very quickly. Also be wary of failed cooling fan motors. A big problem even on the BENZ side and even a recall was issued by Chrysler on it.

Mine left me with a brand new crossfire on the side of I95. The dealer told me the squeaky sound was probably a pulley that needed lubing or something after my insistence and careful inspection they deemed my cooling fan faulty however since Mercedes was encountering the same problem the motors where all on back order so i was told it was safe to drive the car for the next few days til they got the new motor in and i had them put it in writing that they were releasing the car to me in that condition. Well the next day it left me stranded with an overheated engine on the side of I95. The minute my coolant temp light came on i quickly turned the car off and coasted it to the side of the highway and had to have it towed how embarrassing as the car had just come out and everyone was admiring it on the side of the highway LOL.

So be careful if you hear a squeaky sound don't just assume its water in a belt or a squeaky pulley its probably the bearings failing in the cooling fan motor get it replaced ASAP or it WILL LEAVE YOU STRANDED.

Also to note after my cooling fan was replaced my car ran a hairline cooler on the gage and the a/c cooled a lot faster.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Forum Regular

I have an '04 and my car gets very cool very quick. You need to get it looked at. The ac should run you out of the car on high.