Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Newbie Question: Choices

Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question: Choices

Ready to pull the trigger on a 2005 and I'd be interested to hear opinions on the two main variables: Transmission and the coupe/roadster choice. I will get the Limited, but I have driven both body types and fit well in either. Initially was leaning toward an auto roadster, but I'm keeping my options open.

I'm not an overly aggressive driver and plan on using this as my commuter car, +/- 80 miles a day, all year round (mostly expressway). I'm in West Michigan, so winter tires will be a necessity. I'd love to hear opinions of those with ownership experience, particularly those with some winter driving under their belts.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Default Re: Newbie Question: Choices

You can squeak a little more out of a Manual, plus it's more fun to drive. As far as a daily driver an auto might be better if you encounter a lot of stop and go, but I don't seem to mind. You'll also be racking up the miles so if you're keeping it for the life of the car I would suggest a manual because automatics are really expensive to replace and no one really knows how long the tranny's last since they are fairly new.

I have no winter driving experience and don't plan on having any.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 PM
RPM

My .02 -
If it's going to be an all year car in MI, I wouldn't buy it.
Very low ground clearance, huge wheels, RWD, Expensive tires, etc.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM

I'll throw in my opinion, though I'm willing to bet that most members will be able to provide a decent and persuasive argument why you should purchase the exact car that they chose, whether it's an SRT-6, base, limited, coupe, roadster, auto, or stick.

As far as transmission choices, I have driven both - and bought the stick because I like manuals, and feel that a sports car should have 3 pedals. It took a while to get a technique down for smooth operation of the lower gears, but it just makes driving more fun for me. But in test drives before the purchase, I have to say I was impressed by the auto as well. As others have explained, it may come down to the type of driving you do. If you have lots of stop-and-go driving to look forward to, or other situations in which a stick could be a pain, then don't get one. But if you like a stick, I'll tell you that this one is a blast.

For coupe vs. roadster you'll find even more spirited discussion among forum members. I have the roadster, and never considered the hard-top version. This is my second convertible, and is a much nicer top mechanically than my old Eclipse. It does, however, contribute some to road noise, especially at higher speeds (but you wouldn't drive at very high speeds, would you?). Most coupe owners seem to feel that theirs is the cleaner, more attractive design. We roadster owners generally disagree - and enjoy the wind in our hair and sunshine on our faces on those nice summer days.

While you're at it, go for the Aero Blue. I haven't heard anyone yet tell me that they didn't love that color on my Crossfire.

Like I said, seems like most members know exactly why they bought their specific type of Crossfire, and most seem to be in love with their choice. I'm sure you will love yours, too.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreyRoadster
While you're at it, go for the Aero Blue.
Now there's a suggestion I can get behind.

I'm sure whichever and whatever you decide, it will all be good.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:38 PM

I echo what GreyRoadster says. There are no major reasons to buy or not buy any particular setup of the Crossfire that I know of in my short history with them. I just bought mine about a month ago and couldn't be happier.

After reading through a whole lot of the posts on the forum looking for various tidbits, I don't think I've come across anyone who regrets owning their Crossfire or has any major concerns or quibbles with the car. Pretty much, it's just lots of fun!

And I vote alabaster.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 AM

As far as snow is concerned, Im in NYC and there are many hills here, my 2004 XF Coupe cannot go anywhere with the minimum snow on the ground. It skids left and right and I risk being stuck in the snow. I don't know West Michigan, but if there are hills and chance of snow I would suggest leaving the XF in the garage. My .02

Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Forum Regular

considering that it snows there, go with alabaster. you'll be invisible.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
Ready to pull the trigger on a 2005 and I'd be interested to hear opinions on the two main variables: Transmission and the coupe/roadster choice. I will get the Limited, but I have driven both body types and fit well in either. Initially was leaning toward an auto roadster, but I'm keeping my options open.

I'm not an overly aggressive driver and plan on using this as my commuter car, +/- 80 miles a day, all year round (mostly expressway). I'm in West Michigan, so winter tires will be a necessity. I'd love to hear opinions of those with ownership experience, particularly those with some winter driving under their belts.

Thanks in advance!
From another Michigan driver, I would have another car that can handle the winter good if you plan on having your crossfire your daily driver.

Last year was my first year with my Crossfire, and I drive it every day. It's my only car, but when the snow came, I was stuck. It SUCKS in the snow, I don't think any set of snow tires or snow setup would help it.

I had to borrow my dads truck to get me to work and school.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Forum Regular

I live in New Hampshire, and my Xfire handled the winter beautifully. The all-season Continentals, ABS and ESP worked flawlessly (of course, I also drive for the conditions). I was very pleasantly surprised.