Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New Car Delivery Prep Question

Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Delivery Prep Question

My dealer, when prepping my (new) '05, gave me a sealed plastic bag with the front license plate holder (not necessary in Michigan,) the goofy tool to pull the front lower grille to get at the tow hook, and 4 rubber plugs that go behind each wheel to plug... something.

The diagram shows where they go, and the opinion at the dealer was if they were that important, they would have put them in at the factory. Anyone familiar with these, and what harm is befalling my car with them not in place? Looks like putting them in is no big whoop, so I guess I could do it.

They replaced the shift mechanism under warranty as 2nd was way notchy and tough to engage. All I can say is, WOW. Does that car shift great! Now to install the retractable storage cover I bought from a forum member here, and I'm all set. Although the illuminated sills are tempting, $350 seems like a pretty big hit for an accessory just for nice. I am so happy with this car. It has exceeded my expectations.

Oh yes, as for the luggage, that battle is another post in itself...

Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Default Re: New Car Delivery Prep Question

I noticed you had the front license plate holder that you don't need in Michigan. I live in Chicago but bought a used car in Indiana-no front license plate holder. My car is sapphire in color, what color is the license plate holder and are you willing to sell it?

I called the local Chrysler dealer and they wanted $22.50 plus tax.

Let me know if you wish to sell and price.

Bill Kirch

Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by wkirch
what color is the license plate holder.
I think they are all gray, unless you paint them.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rubber plugs go into the holes in the frame that they use to secure the vehicle during shipment. They are referred to as T-slots in the wrecker biz.
Not sure if they are needed or not I am waiting to put them in till I remove the wheels for winter.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird

They replaced the shift mechanism under warranty as 2nd was way notchy and tough to engage. All I can say is, WOW. Does that car shift great!
Was this covered under some TSB? My NOS (new old stock; took delivery of 2005 base coupe with 63 miles on odometer this past May) has this problem.

BTW. The license plate bracket is black plastic.

Regards,
ABPC1

Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 PM

Don't know if it was covered by a TSB, but the Crossfire Tech drove it and knew exactly what it needed. They had to drop the transmisssion and remove the exhaust to replace the mechanism. Glad I wasn't footing that bill.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 AM

Upon delivery of my '06 coupe the bag of plugs and plate bracket plus tool were left in a ripped open bag in the trunk. Logic told me that the holes were for transport tie downs either during shipment or on a rollback. If left out the holes will only allow water to accumulate in the box frame. I was glad the "stealer" left them out as his knuckle draggers would have probably only put them half way in, therefore allowing them to fall out, or maybe just thrown them away.

I put a little grease on them and pushed them in with no problem (with wheels on). I was glad they left the license bracket off also after seeing the enormous (about # 20) sheet metal screws they used on the rear, thereby distorting the metal as they tightened them in the holes they drilled or punched (out of level) in the rear panel, as no bracket was provided in the rear. I've been buying cars for close to 50 years and try to avoid the dealers service department, unless absolutely necessary. They never improve, but only get worse. I intend to pass, on their 6 free oil changes (and do my own) as 5 will get you ten they will never change the filter, and who knows what kind of oil they will use.