Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Engine Oil Recommended Verses Required

Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Oil Recommended Verses Required

I am a new owner of a 2006 Crossfire Roadster. I purchased in new in Kansas City on 5/18/07.

There is a lot of talk on this forum about "Oil Changes" and 'Oil Required" here is a link to some detailed information about the Mercedes Oil specifications.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

I for one, could use a translation of the data to the real world. For one thing it states, MB 229.3 is all that is required with the FSS up to 2004, that should be acceptable for the Crossfire mid 90's engine. MB 229.5 or 229.51 Might be better and must be used with a fleece oil filter.

If MB 229.3 spec Oil is all that is required with the Crossfire then one could choose from a long list of Brands and Weights suited to a persons tastes and climate, just like any other vehicle.

Keep in mind the Mobil 1 paid advertising sticker in the engine compartment says "recommended" not Required.

I have a Sony Digital Camera that saves pictures directly to a CD and every time you turn it on it checks the CD. When it finds a non SONY CD it gives you a ominous warning that a Sony CD is RECOMMENDED. I have used it for years without a problem and never bought a overpriced Sony CD.

Not living in Siberia I am concerned with 0 weight oil. I can fully understand why an engine with even a slight bit of wear would be noisy on a cold startup using 0 weight oil.

I think everyone especially the newbie's on this forum could benefit from the real world experiences of others. Please contribute!

Regards Larry Hegle / newbie

Old 07-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Default Re: Engine Oil Recommended Verses Required

There will always be people that will jump in and preach fire and brimstone for using anything other than the factory recommended product.

0w-40 is probably the best world-wide median. However, you should use what's best for your climate and driving habits.

I run Amsoil 20w-50 in my motorcycles instead of the factory recommended Kawasaki brand 10w-40 with excellent results. I put 10W-30 in my wife's ZX2 for the summer (like me, she drives a lot) instead of Ford's recommended 5w-20.
Oh yeah... My xfire got Amsoil 5w-40 at its last oil change.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Forum Regular

Oxycodone, how's the Amsoil in the Crossfire doing?
Did you notice any improvements - free revving, little bit more power etc?
I put that stuff in my Harley - I noticed a big difference.
I was wondering about putting it in the car too.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM

I've only put about 500 miles on it since the change, but so far, so good.
Only real improvement I've noticed is absolutely NO valve clatter. With the Mobil 1 0w-40 I would experience frequent valve clatter, usually just for a few moments after startup. Amsoil is spendy, but not that much more than Mobil 1.

The variances in motor oil are much more noticeable on bikes because (as I'm sure you know - just pointing it out for the unfamiliar) most bikes have a wet clutch and the type/viscosity of the oil will have a very noticeable effect on shifting.

Another note: I bought my ZRX used with 9,000 miles on it. Ran Amsoil in it since I bought it. Tore down the top end to do a overbore with hi-comp pistons, cams, etc. I ride that bike HARD, and the internals of that motor looked NEW, and slick as hell. I'll never use anything else.