Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Should I Buy This Crossfire? 19k

Old 08-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Should I Buy This Crossfire? 19k

Greetings!

I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new (zero miles) 2007 base model Crossfire. It's black with a standard transmission, and I'm pretty sure it's the bare bones model (which is still surprisingly equipped) for $18,995. I'm not quite sure how they're able to offer it at this price, but they are and my name is on the list guaranteed to get one when they're delivered.

I'm NOT in the market for a new car, but I will be in one year. Should I buy a year early for a deal like this? It seems like a no-brainer to me for the following reasons:

1. If it's stolen or wrecked, It's insured for more than I paid for it.

2. If I get tired of it, I can sell it for more than I paid for it.

3. There's a LIFETIME powertrain warranty, so if I want to keep it for 30 years I can.

4. There weren't a whole lot of them made, so if I DID keep it for 30 years, it could be a classic.

Am I accurate? Is there anything I'm overlooking? Anything I should be wary of? Any advice would be appreciated, because this would be an impractical and impulsive purchase, if not a financially sound one.

Thank you!

Old 08-23-2007, 03:39 PM
RPM
Default Re: Should I Buy This Crossfire? 19k

Originally Posted by cbscinta1
I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new (zero miles) 2007 base model Crossfire. It's black with a standard transmission, and I'm pretty sure it's the bare bones model (which is still surprisingly equipped) for $18,995. I'm not quite sure how they're able to offer it at this price, but they are and my name is on the list guaranteed to get one when they're delivered.

I'm NOT in the market for a new car, but I will be in one year. Should I buy a year early for a deal like this? It seems like a no-brainer to me for the following reasons:
1. If it's stolen or wrecked, It's insured for more than I paid for it.
2. If I get tired of it, I can sell it for more than I paid for it.
3. There's a LIFETIME powertrain warranty, so if I want to keep it for 30 years I can.
4. There weren't a whole lot of them made, so if I DID keep it for 30 years, it could be a classic.
Am I accurate? Is there anything I'm overlooking? Anything I should be wary of? Any advice would be appreciated, because this would be an impractical and impulsive purchase, if not a financially sound one.
Hmmm.

1. Unless you spring for a separate appraisal of some sort, it's not going to be insured for more than $18,995. That's about the going rate for a new base coupe.
2. Not going to happen. The market is virtually flooded with Crossfires at the moment. Many of which are low mileage 2004s that are lease turn-ins (2004-2007, 3 year lease).
3. I did see that the Crossfire is included now. That's fantastic. It still doesn't change the fact that many Chrysler Service Departments have no idea how to work on these cars (since ~ 80% of the car is Mercedes-Benz).
4. Indeed. Total worldwide production seems to be ~ 75,000 at the moment. The SRT6s are the investment model of choice though. 2,016 SRT6 Coupes and 928 SRT6 Roadsters produced in total. BTW, you can pick up an SRT6 Coupe with less than ~ 12,000 miles for ~ $22k right now. Check eBay, Cars.com, and the like.

What ever you decide, the Crossfire is a great little car. There is NOTHING that can touch it for what they are selling for.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 - unless you have a "stated value" insurance policy you will get what the car is worth in your zip code give or take a few dollars. Insurance companies use NADA guides as well as other information about your car to value it in a total loss. You will not get more than you paid for it. Some insurance companies, I know Allstate does I work for them, offer a new car rider to the Your Choice Auto endorsement. What that does is puts you back in a like and kind vehicle...in that case you'd get a new base Crossfire if thats what you had, nothing more.

#2 - You haven't been reading the posts around here. that's very doubtful at this stage. Maybe down the road but Crossfire values continue to fall.

3 & 4 I pretty much agree with but a word of warning. Don't buy one if you are buying it solely because you think it'll be worth more down the road. Personally I think the ones that'll be worth something will be the SRT's because so few were made. Buy the car because you enjoy the look, the drive and the fact you have a car that is still a head turner.

Just my humble thoughts, good luck with your choice.

Pat

Old 08-23-2007, 04:33 PM

I forgot to mention that I will most likely have to store this Crossfire outdoors in a safe but questionable neighborhood.

Also, I live in Buffalo NY which is cold and snowy 6 months out of the year

Finally, am I correct in assuming that the maintenance of a Crossfire (synthetic oil changes, premium gas, etc), as well as parts and labor would be MUCH MORE expensive that my second choice, which is the Hyundai Elantra?

Do any of these addendums affect your advice?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 PM
RPM

I forgot to mention that I will most likely have to store this Crossfire outdoors in a safe but questionable neighborhood.

Also, I live in Buffalo NY which is cold and snowy 6 months out of the year

Finally, am I correct in assuming that the maintenance of a Crossfire (synthetic oil changes, premium gas, etc), as well as parts and labor would be MUCH MORE expensive that my second choice, which is the Hyundai Elantra?

Do any of these addendums affect your advice?
Your neighborhood - your a better judge than we.

Winter driving - some do it, not I.

Maintenance more than a Hyundai Elantra? Just a little. 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic and a ~ $20 oil filter = about $115 - $120 oil change at a shop, or a little more than half if you do it yourself.
The Crossfire also requires 12 spark plugs, 2 air filters, and so on.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

MUCH MORE expensive that my second choice, which is the Hyundai Elantra?
Hyundai Elantra is your second choice. I don't get it. They are not even in the same class. Can you explain?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM

And I imagine those 19-inch Z-rated tires/alloy rims aren't cheap, either?

German parts shared with the Mercedes lineup? Peanuts, right?

$120 oil changes?

Should I be re-considering this? ha ha.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:46 PM

I'm not big on flashy cars...that's why I was considering an Elantra. I like Hyundai. However, when I saw the crossfire for 19K I thought "this might be my chance to drive something cool." That is, I figured the maintenance wouldn't be that financially crippling. Perhaps I was wrong...

Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM

Well, I've got 31k miles and other than air filter, oil filter, and oil itself no real maint. costs. Tires and brake pads will be the next cost and tires will cost some but for what you would be driving I don't think it's unreasonable.

Your choice.

PS. I just remembered that I noticed I need to replace the wiper blades soon.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:11 PM

How much do pads and tires cost?

Does anybody know how much it cost to extent the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty?

Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM

I've recently been shopping tires. For a good set of all-season tires, including full road hazard - it ranges anywhere from $900 to $1,500.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 486 Likes on 337 Posts

Good brake pads are Rotex Golds ...
Fronts $85 and Rear $60 + rotor resurfacing and install labor.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure it is a 2007? We have quite a few of these almost zero mile cars here in Dallas, but they are all 2006's. One dealer near me just dropped the prices on his six Limited's to $21,999 and now has three left. Bohnam Chrysler sold a 2004 with 9,000 miles on it for $15,999 a week ago. I wanted that one but didn't act fast enough. I found another 2004 last Friday. This time I acted fast and drove away in it after trading in my Mercedes ML320. My ML320 has the exact same engine and I never paid anywhere near $100 for an oil change of Mobil 1. Other than the oil changes I did all work on my ML320 myself. After learning on the ML, I was confident about working on the Crossfire. Most prices associated with Mercedes parts and labor are just plain stupid and out of line.

BTW, What do we call the 2004's? All 2004's where limited's but no such thing as a limited in 2004.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Forum Regular

I'm not big on flashy cars...that's why I was considering an Elantra. I like Hyundai. However, when I saw the crossfire for 19K I thought "this might be my chance to drive something cool." That is, I figured the maintenance wouldn't be that financially crippling. Perhaps I was wrong...
sounds like you a hyundai guy to me. plus if you live in the snow and will be parking this car outside I say PASS.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
BTW, What do we call the 2004's? All 2004's where limited's but no such thing as a limited in 2004.
In 2004 they were all the same car just a crossfire model, in 2005 they were tagged either base, limited or SRT6 but they have the same accessories as a limited.