Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?

Originally Posted by CALL911
Personally I think anything more than 50% on your side window is dangerous. At night, without street lights you cannot se things in your periferal vision that are not illuminated. From a law enforcment standpoint, It is dangerous for us because we can't see inside your vehicle when we stop you. It is also used as a tool to pull you over !
Exactly the reason why when pulled over by Law Enforcement, windows down, dome lights on, and both hands on the wheel !

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?

Yeah that has to be scary for a cop-going up to someone you pulled over with blacked out windows-you could shoot him right through the window! I'd be scared stiff if I was a cop in that situation.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Ma. all windows must be 35% or higher. It is a 250.00 fine for each window that is to dark. They enforce it quite a bit in the area I work in. Rear windows can only be darkened to 35 if you have two outside mirrors. Plus it is part of our yearly inspection.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM

I've been rockin 5% on around with double 5% on the rear windshield and no issues. I've been pulled over for speeding, as soon as I see the lights go on I drop the windows down.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 PM

front windshield is 35% sides and rear are 15% and yes it is dark.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 PM

In Kansas window tint beyond 35% is a class c misdemeanor, means you gotta go see the judge. Your car could also be impounded. As a 14 year traffic cop it is dangerous for us to approach these cars, but it does look good. Just remember its good probable cause to get into your car and your business.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 AM

I tinted my back window black, the darkest you can have, I was afraid to do the side windows after getting stoped for having a tinted cover over my front license plate. The officer stood there and watched me remove the cover so that he did not have to get a ticket, no way am I gonna tint the side windows, it was bad enough to deal with the cops around here without asking to be stopped, they are just waiting to get the Crossfire.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 AM

I did a lot of research on this before having windows tinted in one of my cars. I live in Indiana and the max is 30% all around, nothing on the windshield. Any reputable installer will not exceed the state standards. But the interesting thing is that during my research I learned that the police can make you remove anything darker on the spot, and have done so many, many times. They seem to target younger, more agressive drivers when doing so. So when my son was being insistent on getting 5% on his Integra, and doing it himself, I refused to let him. He eventually listened to reason and we got him the 30%. He likes it now and there are no worries about him having to scrape it off during a traffic stop. I have him keep the receipt in his glovebox to prove it's 30%.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I am in Illinois and our law states NO TINT on the driver/passenger doors.
This is the third vehicle in which I have tinted my driver/passenger doors illegally and have never been bothered.
It's a gamble but usually only results in a warning or a fine.
In Illinois $75.00 fine for illegal tint
100% correct ... I know, I was fined last Labor Day weekend when Illinois' finest were patroling for drunks. Officer pulled me over, and asked "Sir do you know why I pulled you over?" I had a dumb look on my face, I said "Speeding??" "no", he replied, "you have tinted windows and in IL that's illegal" I parted with $75 that day ... and he'd only take cash too.
adoni

Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Illinois tint law Tint darkness for sedans: Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield. Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in. Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in. Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Source: https://www.tinting-laws.com/illinois/
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Got pulled over in Detroit Mi. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I had window tint on sides and back. It was night time and he couldn't see inside the vehicle. I try to keep the window down when driving in the downtown area. Police officer gave me a ticket. I ended going to court and having the whole thing dropped (after getting the tint removed from the windows)
Tinted windows are always a gamble....

Last edited by 1Habsfan; 02-12-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

A thread resurrected after ten years, 364 days. Not a record, but close.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Ramble jamble on jamble ramble mamble on it that 100000000 post im lookin for oh ramble jamble on

Old 02-17-2019, 04:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Valk
I am in Illinois and our law states NO TINT on the driver/passenger doors.
This is the third vehicle in which I have tinted my driver/passenger doors illegally and have never been bothered.
You've never been bothered because it's not illegal.

In Illinois you can go 35% on all the side and back windows.
You cannot tint the front side windows if the rears are tinted more than 35%.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Joliet John

Yea you can tint all windows 35% and even 6 inches of the front windshield

Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 480 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Joliet John

When I originally posted my response here it was illegal in Illinois to have front side windows tinted
The law has since changed here in Illinois

Old 02-17-2019, 10:15 AM

When I originally posted my response here it was illegal in Illinois to have front side windows tinted
i sure remember those days. Lol

Old 02-21-2019, 12:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah ... I forget to look at how old some of these threads are!

I usually figure it out when I try to click a link and see it's long dead.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by mac92a2002
In Kansas window tint beyond 35% is a class c misdemeanor, means you gotta go see the judge. Your car could also be impounded. As a 14 year traffic cop it is dangerous for us to approach these cars, but it does look good. Just remember its good probable cause to get into your car and your business.
You have a gun and a bullet proof vest and you're afraid of a little window tint, why don't you use your PA system our tax dollars provided you and tell the folks in the vehicle to roll down their windows before you approach, or would that mess up the plan to extort us tax payers by following a law that law enforcement isn't required to follow.
See below for our great state's law designed for nothing other than fund poorly managed government departments:
(b) Subsection (a)(3) shall not apply to a window of a law enforcement motor vehicle that is clearly identified as such by words or other symbols on the outside of the vehicle.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Rooster you are an idiot. Walking up to a car is always a dangerous situation for a cop. Why don,t you put on a vest and let people shoot at you. I think you might change your mind on your comment.

Quick Reply: How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?