Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Question about the key fob, would this work?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the key fob, would this work?

When I bought my car, I got one key and unfortunately it was only good for starting the car. The buttons to lock/unlock the doors weren't functional. Tried new batteries, etc.. but nothing worked. Since the dealership has to provide two keys with the car, they ordered me another new fob and I'm just keeping the non-functioning fob as a backup. When I got my new key in, I noticed that the cut portion of the key was a little "jiggly" in the metal base and happened to see what looks like a retainer pin (see pic).

I was toying with the idea the other day of tearing into the backup key to see if I might be able to fix it. Now, I know that the keys have to be ordered specifically for your VIN# but does anyone know if this retainer pin holds the cut key portion of the fob in place? Would it be possible to pick up a used Crossfire factory key off ebay and just punch out the retainer pin and replace the cut portion of the key into the new functioning fob, reprogram it and have a functioning key?

It looks a little suspect that the pin actually retains the cut portion of the key because of it's location but I wanted to ask here first to see if anyone knows for sure before I punched it out of there and possibly ruined an otherwise good spare key. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.