Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

A horror story! Buying out my lease

Old 06-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A horror story! Buying out my lease

Long post, sorry I have to vent - There was never any question in my mind 3 years ago when I leased my car that I'd purchase it at the end of the lease. I loved the car then and I love it even more now. The only thing that could keep me from buying would have been a major problem, its been one of the finest cars I've ever owned.
So I decided what the heck the lease isn't up until July 15 why not start a little early and maybe I can get it done and coast on the last lease payment.
I somehow got reattached to the NASA credit union for a loan. I have no idea how we got hooked up with them but for a whopping $11.58 I could pay up my dues and get an auto loan. Traditionally credit unions have better interest rates and the rate I got from them was a good percentage point lower than the banks I deal with and a point and a half lower than good ol' Chrysler Financial offered me.
I paid up my dues and my loan was approved May 25th, 21 days before my last lease payment. Only thing was I needed the buyout package and a copy of the lien (looks like a title in Maryland) so I call Chrysler Financial and a young lady tells me no problem its in the mail. I wait a week and I get nothing. By the way all of my mail from Chrysler Financial except my monthly lease bill goes to an address in Catonsville Md. I have no idea what this address is or why, Chrysler can't fix it, maybe wont is a better word. Last summer's tag renewal, my emissions test notification, an insurance verification letter all went to a bad address and I warned the lady I spoke with, "please make sure you have my correct mailing address". All this stuff was a PIA last summer to get done.
Its now about the 10th of June and I call CF back. It was sent out, you should have it shortly. The 16th or 17th of June (my last payment was due on the 15th) I call and I am immediately held up for the last payment. We gotta have it now the guy said before he could do anything else for me. I made the payment, so much for trying to move into my loan where the payment drops about 200$ a month. So now that Mr. Chrysler Financial is happy he looks at my file and says he'll send it out again. Finally last Friday I get my buyout package minus the Lien/Title document. I call Chrysler again and again I'm told its been sent out and verify once again that they have my mailing address, not that other address. This morning I call again and I'm now told I can't have that document unless I send them the check, the check for the money NASA Credit Union is loaning me and they wont release the check until they get a title/lien release. Mission F'in Impossible at this point. So now I'm really getting pissed. Chrysler Financial are idiots folks, complete unadulterated, first class, primo idiots. I decide that I'll call the MVA and see if I go there can I get a replacement document (Lien/Title), the one I should have in the first place 3 years ago, pay them 20 bucks and walk out with what I need.
Not so fast cowboy! we can only release that to Chrysler. So with that I decide to go to the dealer where I got the car who changed owners last year and could care less about me. (They always try to sell me something too, last time it was why not trade that Crossfire for a new PT Convertible, no thanks I said my Crossfire only has 7000 miles on it, its better than new and I've done the PT thing twice. Nice car but I'm done with it) Any way I trudge into the dealership and tell them my problem. It took the finance guy and the GM to sort this out. I was there for two hours. They will do the necessary leg work to try and get this done. Oh and by the way I had to have a Maryland Inspection done, no matter my car only has 8000 miles on it. It still has to be inspected. So that's where we are at. I feel a little closer to my goal but I'm not there yet.
What a friggin nightmare. I hope none of you have to go through this but be prepared, Chrysler Financial really doesn't seem to have anyone who can get anything done.
Pat

Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A horror story! Buying out my lease

Good lord, Pat!
Of course, half the problem is that they can't get your mailing address squared away which, of course, forces you into being the 'bad guy' & creates a whole lotta leg work.
It should be a simple matter...let us know when it finally becomes a done deal!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Pat, I'm sorry to here you have had to go through this ordeal. I've done this before and never had an issue, than again it wasn't with Chrysler.

I hope it all works out in the long run. Congrats on keeping your XF.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So sorry to read about your troubles Pat. I have never leased so I can't comment about the leasing process other than it seams that once you start leasing, most people are stuck leasing...financially. That's just me looking from the outside in. Hope everything works out in your favor.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed your crossfire so much that you decided to own it.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Forum Regular

Pat, I know all too well where you're coming from. I have owned 3 Jeeps (2 of which were financed through CF) and a Dakota (my first vehicle). They are absolutely the worst when it comes to mailing stuff that is important. unfortunately I have no advice to give to you except the next time you talk to someon on the phone there, get his/her extension and call them everyday. Even if it has nothing to do with what's going on. Just call. And call. And maybe call again after that. Make sure they know you, and want to get rid of you. People move much faster when they want to get rid of you than when they genuinely want to help you

Justin

Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 PM

That is a horror story Pat, but I'm sure glade to hear that you will be keeping it, lookig forward to seeing you every year at Carlisle...

Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 AM

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E-eeeeeee !!!
Why ? Because Dailmer has a new CEO who really doesn't give a "Rats A$$" about Chrysler customers only his back pocket ! It all starts at the top ! Home Depot was SMART to buy his contract out when they did.

Hope it all works out Pat !

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good lord, what did that 3 year lease cost you? How much now to buy it outright?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Thanks guys.... I found out about the "incorrect address" on a Saturday morning last June, a year ago. I was pulled over for and insurance violation which was ridiculous. I am my agent. As soon as I took delivery I went to the office and put the car on my policy, I have no lapses. The problem again was all of my info was sent to and address I am still not sure why the dealer or Chrysler used. In short I never got the letter from the MVA about the violation because it went to the bad address. It took me a month to straighten it out to the point I could get my tags and Emission Inspection. Those documents showed up in a Chrysler Financial envelope this March, 8 months overdue.
I called Chrysler immediately and was told we'll fix it, got a name and extension as someone suggested and found they will not put you through to that same person again, even if you have the extension so so much for that angle.
Without being too specific I had a 36 month lease at a shade under 500 bucks a month. My car's selling price was 27k in July of 05. Right before the bottom really fell out.
My residual is just under 15k. which to me is a fair price for a car with under 8,000 original miles on it and I know the car inside an out. My new payment is in the 290's.
Justin wish I had the time to do what you suggested but I work in a 3 person office and most of our work is on the phone and we are one person short for the entire summer.
Just today I get an envelope from CF with a photo copy of the the front of the title/lien release. Don't know if this will move things along any faster but I'm waiting to hear from the lady at the credit union. Hopefully between that and the dealer we can get this done. By the way if you elect to continue your lease....CF is nice enough to let you continue paying the same thing you were paying, not a chance.
Pat

Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Well finally some light at the end of the tunnel. Got a call from my credit union this afternoon and they are over-nighting me a check. I made an appointment at the dealership tomorrow to wrap things up. Never thought I'd see this day.
Pat

Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
FP

Originally Posted by patpur
Well finally some light at the end of the tunnel. Got a call from my credit union this afternoon and they are over-nighting me a check. I made an appointment at the dealership tomorrow to wrap things up. Never thought I'd see this day.
Pat
Finally......... Congrats Pat.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
Pat
Wooo Hooo !!!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:27 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Finally its done! But not before they charged me another 32$ in interest because "they" couldn't get the deal done any faster. I'd fight it but I'm just glad its over and the car is in my name.
Pat

Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats Pat......but no wonder Chrysler is in trouble

Old 07-11-2008, 05:45 AM

glad to here you came out on top o the scuffle... and with your xfire still in your posession.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:01 AM

Don't sweat the small stuff. $32 isn't even the cost of a good lap dance now!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pat, my God man... I don't think I'd have half the patience of you!
Hope you get her all to yourself very soon!

Good Luck

Old 07-16-2008, 05:33 AM

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I know how much you cared for your baby and that's when it was under lease. Now that it's really REALLY yours I can't imagine how well you will care for it!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 AM
FP

Did someone say lap dance?

Congrats Pat.