Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I sure am glad I found this site!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I sure am glad I found this site!

we own a 2004 crossfire, we picked it up a year ago, with 25000 miles on it. we love driving the car. but we are having a problem with it right now, and we can't drive it.

The car is a standard, and stock, the first time i noticed it was after driving home from work one day, which was about 15 miles, i ran the car about 80 on the way home. i made it home,but went out to go somewhere and the car wouldn't start after it cooled down,it started up and i didn't have a problem, for about a week. then i drove it about 60 miles away and I stopped at a buddies house and let it sit for aout 15 minutes and it started up and drove fine all the way home. i then took it to chrysler and they said they found nothing, so i drove to my house which is about 300 miles from there made it 230 miles went to stop pushed in the clutch and it died, i let it sit about an hour and it started and made it the rest of the way home. so i put it in the shop again different dealer and they found nothing also, but recommended a fuel cleaning, fuel filter,and said the computer needed up grades, so we took it home. put a new fuel filter on it and no difference. Now I can just start the car up and let it sit in my yard and after it warms up it dies. Sorry for the novel, but like i said we really love this car and no one can figuire it out. any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Default Re: I sure am glad I found this site!

i got to looking and noticed that the cooling fan didn't come on until after the thermostat read just above halfway is this right? also i know the car is warm and i unplugged what i think is the temp sensor and the fan came on immediately, is there any thing in this that would shut the car off ? i have the car running now.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the good ole crank shaft position sensor, or fuel pump relay, start reading and learn to love the search feature, since you are a newbie I figured I would give you a head start.

http://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-...y-problem.html
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=16886
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=16885

Originally Posted by Crossbow39
It is the fuel pump relay. We had the same problem...sometimes start every time for days, then a no start, wait a while and then starts just fine. No rhyme or reason; dealer could not find anything wrong and no codes so take it back home and hold your breath. Then the no starting increased in frequency in addition to the car stalling out while driving on the highway (nothing like losing all power without warning and coasting down at 60 mph+)! It was completely unsafe and untrustworthy...you never knew when it would work or not.

After talking with Mercedes owners and checking the Mercedes bulletin boards (type in "fuel pump relay" and read all their posts and problems!) I replaced the fuel pump relay and the problem has not happened again. We now have @ 91,000 miles on the car and the relay was replaced at @ 43,000 miles.

Evidently, the soldered contacts on the printed circuit board that control the fuel pump begin to fail and corrode over time. When the contact is broken, the fuel pump shuts off, and the car will not turn over or crank. You still have all your lights, gauges, and fan...so it is not a battery problem like everyone's first instinct. The computer is not receiving a signal from the fuel pump, so it will not crank the starter (part of the anti theft I believe). Plus, the computer sets no code because it is working like it should...the pump is not running so no crank is needed! Meanwhile, you are sitting there feeling quite "frustrated".

The contacts get pitted/eroded so the circuit is broken, usually at first as the heat rises after driving it a ways: that is why it usually starts at home, but strands you somewhere else. When the circuit board cool down, the metal solder shrinks, contact is made, and the car starts. What is bad is it will continue to get worse. Everytime the contact breaks , the spark erodes a little bit more of the solder joint and your problems will happen more and more often...and still no codes will be set in the computer.

The relay costs about $150 at Mercedes (I bought it there rather than Chrysler) and my part number was A 170 545 03 05. You need to replace the whole relay and not just the fuses on top, because the circuit board is inside the box (after replacing we took apart my old relay and you could see the burned and pitted solder joints...but only with a jeweler's loupe...that's how small we are talking about). It only takes about 15 minutes to replace. It is located up by the battery in the main fuse/relay box. This relay has the big orange 40 amp Maxifuse, one 20 amp yellow and four blue 15 amp regular fuses on top of it and also 4 (I think) harness connectors that plug in into the top of it. You undo the harnesses, switch in the new box and that is it. Easy enough to do on the side of the road if you have the part.

Sorry for the long post, but I understand the frustration from this happening and no one finding anything wrong with it or acting like you are doing something wrong in starting the car. Like I said, check out the Mercedes boards for fuel pump relay, then go get a new one. Best $150 bucks I ever spent.

Crossbow39

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 11-16-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like it may be one of the common problems I've found on this site. Could be the relay control module.
Go here
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=27288

Gives the part number and cost. Seems to be cheaper from the MB guys'.
Do a search on "relay control module" and you will see the symptoms are similar to yours.

Good luck, report back if that's it.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:01 PM

thanks guys i will try them all. I thought it might have been the temp sensor, but don't think that now the fan was running and the car shut off again.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 PM

If the car won't start try this.
Open the hood and locate the black box located to the right of the battery.
The relay control module is located inside. Give the box a couple of good raps with the handle of a screwdriver or similar object. If the car starts, you might have just found the problem.
Remember if it doesn't start that doesn't eliminate the RCM as the problem.
Look into the crank sensor also. Both give similar symptoms.
Let us know what you find out.
Good luck!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 PM

my car is different than the one you posted, my car will turn over and over and over and so on, but just won't start.

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
sounds like the good ole crank shaft position sensor, or fuel pump relay, start reading and learn to love the search feature, since you are a newbie I figured I would give you a head start.

http://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-...y-problem.html
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=16886
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=16885

Old 11-16-2008, 12:46 PM

which module in the box is it? i 'm pretty sure the one on the left is the fuel relay with the 40 amp fuse on it,but i think there are two more in there.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:06 PM

is there a way to test the modules? or the sensor? like i said mine turns over, but just won't start.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 PM

Did you tap on the boards and attempt to start the car?
Anything?

Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by taylormanss
my car is different than the one you posted, my car will turn over and over and over and so on, but just won't start.
The clk430 uses the same crank shaft postion sensor, If you do not have any codes or saved CEL's it is more then likely the fuel relay or what tig is posting the control module

Old 11-18-2008, 03:46 AM

Read the posted threads carefully !!!

A defective crankshaft position sensor will allow the engine to turn over but not start.

If the relay control module is defective the engine will not turn over period, but all of the accessories will be operable.

Turn the key to the ON position, don't try to start it, do you hear the fuel pump coming on to prime the system ? If not, it's probably the RCM !

Just my Dos Centavos

Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM

In addition to that, could a vacuum leak be a possibility?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stogey
Read the posted threads carefully !!!

A defective crankshaft position sensor will allow the engine to turn over but not start.

If the relay control module is defective the engine will not turn over period, but all of the accessories will be operable.

Turn the key to the ON position, don't try to start it, do you hear the fuel pump coming on to prime the system ? If not, it's probably the RCM !

Just my Dos Centavos
I'm pretty sure i can hear the pump coming on when i turn the key, but the car won't start. how hard is it to change out the crank sensor? from what you guys are telling me is that it could be the fuel pump relay, the relay control module, or the crank sensor right?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Did you tap on the boards and attempt to start the car?
Anything?
yes i did, and it didn't do anything.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:41 PM

thanks for all the help guys, I fixed the car last week it turned out to be the crank position sensor,damn dodge dealerships didn't have a clue!, I sure am glad you guys with the experience are here!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 AM

thanks for all the help guys, I fixed the car last week it turned out to be the crank position sensor,damn dodge dealerships didn't have a clue!, I sure am glad you guys with the experience are here!
Forums like this are a great resource. I think there is one for every car made. Always look for one before buying a car. It can save you $$$$'s.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Its that darn Relay bank....

Old 03-28-2009, 02:11 AM

Thanks for posting the fix!
It helps the forum when we hear the final results on problems.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by RED04crossfire
Its that darn Relay bank....
It got me too! Thanks to this forum I took in your posts and demanded that they replace the relay. My car has had episodes of not starting and of dying while driving (actually turning in somewhere, which is really scary!). I told my mechanics what the forum had said and they kinda pooh poohed it. They said they thought it was the computer system although no codes but the famous P0410 code came up. Then I printed off the info on this forum, including the price and part number, and drove it over to the shop and gave it to them and said read it! After reading they agreed and said, "Let's give it a shot!" I have the car back as of today and have my fingers crossed.

Thanks so much guys!

Quick Reply: I sure am glad I found this site!